Kimber 82G -- Federal Gold Medal UM1 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:49 AM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kimber 82G -- Federal Gold Medal UM1

Less than 50 rounds down the tube.

https://youtu.be/WNWPDT-h-j8

Excited to have this one and need to shoot it more.

Can anyone help me improve the trigger?

By the way I have original sights and everything., still sealed in plastic.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:16 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Nice looking gun, very nice video! I assume that's you in the video? If so, you did a great job!

A few things you might want to look at. Not saying I'm correct, but maybe worth looking at.

-Put a front stop on your rest. It improves consistency as your gun will be shot from the exact same spot each time.

-Get one of the Widden plates for the front. Add a 3 inch bag to your rest and you won't have as much trouble shooting the gun from a rest. It sits a bit high on its own, so adding something flat on the bottom really helps. If you really want to take it to another level, contact Jeff Madison at Mwerks LLC and order a 2.5 degree front plate. It pretty much matches the angle of the factory stock and makes things even better.

-If you take the rear butt pad off, you might find some holes drilled in the stock. Get some lead, make a template and make some weights to install in those holes. You can also do this under the front forend slot. Just take out the aluminum guide rail and you'll see what I mean. The front weight seems to help make the gun more stable but I've shot it with all kinds of configurations and they all have their good and bad points. Just piddle and see what your gun likes the best.

-Trigger improvements are pretty simple with that trigger. You can adjust the trigger per the manual but you're only going to get it so good. Changing the factory springs can help a lot. If you really want to get it light, there's a sticky here in the Kimber section that tells you how to get it down to the 2 oz range. It does work, but you have to be careful with slam fires as it puts you right on the edge as far as function and safety. The other way to go about it is to order the Xtreme trigger. There's a post in this section that I talked about how to adjust the trigger (single stage vs two stage). Both ways work well, but from a bench, I prefer the single stage. Plus you can get it down to 1.5 oz on your trigger pull in the single stage setup.

-Shoot at least 10-15 shots to foul your barrel before shooting for score or group. It really does help consistency in your accuracy. You look like you know what you're doing, so this will let the gun get ready for shooting for score.

I clean the heck out of mine between targets so it takes a lot of shots to get going. But when it does get going, it's a sight to behold.

Not trying to come across as a know it all. Just thought I'd throw out some ideas that might help you improve your rifle. It's already a good one. But you really would be surprised how well some of these can shoot.

Good luck and keep posting. I loved the video!

Kenny
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Kenny, you are the 82g guru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
Not trying to come across as a know it all. Just thought I'd throw out some ideas that might help you improve your rifle. It's already a good one. But you really would be surprised how well some of these can shoot.

Kenny
I would rather say fountain of knowledge, its the same thing as know it all, just sounds better.

Yes, when it comes to 82G's Kenny does know it all. uh.... I mean Fountain of Knowledge
Old 06-02-2020, 09:49 PM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
Nice looking gun, very nice video! I assume that's you in the video? If so, you did a great job!

A few things you might want to look at. Not saying I'm correct, but maybe worth looking at.

-Put a front stop on your rest. It improves consistency as your gun will be shot from the exact same spot each time.

-Get one of the Widden plates for the front. Add a 3 inch bag to your rest and you won't have as much trouble shooting the gun from a rest. It sits a bit high on its own, so adding something flat on the bottom really helps. If you really want to take it to another level, contact Jeff Madison at Mwerks LLC and order a 2.5 degree front plate. It pretty much matches the angle of the factory stock and makes things even better.

-If you take the rear butt pad off, you might find some holes drilled in the stock. Get some lead, make a template and make some weights to install in those holes. You can also do this under the front forend slot. Just take out the aluminum guide rail and you'll see what I mean. The front weight seems to help make the gun more stable but I've shot it with all kinds of configurations and they all have their good and bad points. Just piddle and see what your gun likes the best.

-Trigger improvements are pretty simple with that trigger. You can adjust the trigger per the manual but you're only going to get it so good. Changing the factory springs can help a lot. If you really want to get it light, there's a sticky here in the Kimber section that tells you how to get it down to the 2 oz range. It does work, but you have to be careful with slam fires as it puts you right on the edge as far as function and safety. The other way to go about it is to order the Xtreme trigger. There's a post in this section that I talked about how to adjust the trigger (single stage vs two stage). Both ways work well, but from a bench, I prefer the single stage. Plus you can get it down to 1.5 oz on your trigger pull in the single stage setup.

-Shoot at least 10-15 shots to foul your barrel before shooting for score or group. It really does help consistency in your accuracy. You look like you know what you're doing, so this will let the gun get ready for shooting for score.

I clean the heck out of mine between targets so it takes a lot of shots to get going. But when it does get going, it's a sight to behold.

Good luck and keep posting. I loved the video!

Kenny
Kenny,

No offense taken and thank you very much for passing on the knowledge and encouragement for the video.

I feel like there is so much great knowledge here that I have read it 3 times to make sure I have absorbed it all To make sure I am tracking I am replying with a bit of detail here

Whidden Plate this is what you are talking about -- https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/track-plate-2/

3inch front bag
https://protektormodel.com/collectio...-ear-front-bag

I am reading up on the sticky and have seen the xtreme trigger. I may try adjusting first and see how I do then.

If this is correct I will look into making these changes and maybe another video will be in the making and hopefully I can do the old Kimber 82G the proper justice. Funny how I shot 5 shots off camera and 4 were literally in one hole as I wanted to shoot spotters to make sure I would not shoot my down range camera.

Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:31 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
I would rather say fountain of knowledge, its the same thing as know it all, just sounds better.

Yes, when it comes to 82G's Kenny does know it all. uh.... I mean Fountain of Knowledge
Jorge, you continue to crack me up Hope you and yours are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layer3guru View Post
Kenny,

No offense taken and thank you very much for passing on the knowledge and encouragement for the video.

I feel like there is so much great knowledge here that I have read it 3 times to make sure I have absorbed it all To make sure I am tracking I am replying with a bit of detail here

Whidden Plate this is what you are talking about -- https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/track-plate-2/

3inch front bag
https://protektormodel.com/collectio...-ear-front-bag

I am reading up on the sticky and have seen the xtreme trigger. I may try adjusting first and see how I do then.

If this is correct I will look into making these changes and maybe another video will be in the making and hopefully I can do the old Kimber 82G the proper justice. Funny how I shot 5 shots off camera and 4 were literally in one hole as I wanted to shoot spotters to make sure I would not shoot my down range camera.

You found the Widden plate. Yes, that's the one I meant. I started using those and they work pretty darn well.

The other one I mentioned is similar to this:

http://www.mwerksllc.com/plates-win52.php

That is for a 52D, but if you call Jeff, am sure he'd make one with the same angle that the fore end of your Kimber has. For some reason I've got 2.5 degrees stuck in my head, but measure yours and see what the exact angle is.

Anyway, costs a little more than the Widden, but IMHO, it's a little more stable since it has a bit more beef to it.

I really would get some springs and tweak on the factory trigger to see how it acts. Just loosen the set screws on the sides of the trigger housing before adjusting the actual trigger adjustment screws. The sides of that housing are thin and you don't want to strip out those set screws.

I assume you've had the bolt apart and polished up everything. Do that for sure. Ignition is the most important thing you can do for any rimfire rifle IMHO.

Not sure how you clean yours, but if using a rod, use a good bore guide. Unfortunately, the only one I know of is the Possum Hollow guide. They work fine, but you can add a bushing to make them even better.

You are correct that sometimes these rimfires can make us look goofy. So wouldn't worry too much about how yours shot great off the bat but when the camera was on, it took a couple of shots to calm back down.

I always clean mine between targets. Takes about 12 shots to get back on track. When I really clean it, takes a few more. Here's a cool pic I took awhile back showing just how picky mine is when it's been scrubbed clean.

Far left is the first 10 shots out of the pristine barrel. Middle bull shows the next 10. But you can see how they started to come in a bit. Right bull shows six shots. First 5 went same hole. Stopped and waited a couple of minutes to see if the barrel would wait for me after it cooled. Sixth shot blew up the group as it went slightly off at 10 O'clock. But again, it showed the the barrel would wait if I ran into a condition switch.

Point is, each barrel is different. And each might have favorites as to ammo. Mine likes certain lots of SK RM, Center X and such. But for score, when it counts, I use Eley Match. Still have the random Eley flier, but overall it does pretty well. The old Federal you used was some awesome ammo. Shame they don't make it anymore.

I did love the video. You did a great job! Keep up the good work.

Not sure how much you shoot the gun, or how you use it. They are neat rifles, but they really aren't made for competition BR. You can use them and they can do pretty darn well. I just tell people to manage their expectations when trying to make one of these into a pure BR rifle. I got lucky with mine, and have even won a couple of BR matches with it. But it's much more fun for me to just shoot it with aperture sights.

Anyway, good luck going forward. If you have any questions, just shoot me a pm and I'll reply. Might be a few days or weeks as I don't get on here much. But I do look at the site once in awhile when I have some free time.

Kenny
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layer3guru View Post
Kenny,............

Funny how I shot 5 shots off camera and 4 were literally in one hole as I wanted to shoot spotters to make sure I would not shoot my down range camera.

It's called editing, Kenny is a pro at that too. He and another member made videos and posted them on here years ago. Took them hours just to have a 3 min video. Scene 3 take 37. They had to quit doing those, the screen actors guild threatened to sue and the camera person never could capture Kenny's good side, wonder why??.

I watched your video, you did a great job. The rifle after it sits unfired for several minutes will need a few foulers to put it back on track and the wind plays havoc with a .22, even a slight shift will send one 1/2" or so from POA. Please post some more. I would do some myself, but I have more of a face for radio.

Thanks for posting

George
Old 06-03-2020, 11:21 AM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks George great feedback.

I have ordered the base plate and new bag for the rest that Kenny spoke about. I am going to try some wolf match extra and see about getting it on camera. Maybe I will get some midas+ and eley tenex to say I have tried the best.

I have got to get my rifle to shoot because an old airforce guy is beating up on me with his Kimber. I should have never did the ammo comparison for him.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=5099
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber1.jpg (68.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:26 AM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
By the way George face for radio I have been afraid of the camera because my big jarhead barely fits in the screen

I also need to take a look at polishing the bolt.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kenny will that Widdon plate help my offhand? Because it has been abysmal lately.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:46 PM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Base plate question.

Had a conversation with Whidden today and he believes the T track on the 82G is different than Anshutz and others. Is this true.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 AM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FYI following up the Whidden Base Plate does work on the Kimber.