Check out my new custom 52C Sporting Rifle - Lot of pics - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Goldendog1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a real live 52C Sporting rifle!

Just returned from my gunsmith. Was a good day. We removed the barreled action of my 52C to check the date of the barrel. As was stated earlier in this thread, it's date of 1953 matches the serial number range of my rifle. I finally feel confident I purchased a bona fide 52C Sporter with a custom stock. My gunsmith also could not find any evidence of earlier re-blueing, aside from the mess made to the trigger guard by a previous owner. He said he could finish buffing out any remaining rust/pitting and reblue just this part to match either the barrel or the receiver.

A question for the collectors: Which blue shade/lustre is more correct? The barrel or the receiver?

Regarding the availability and cost of spare parts for the 52C. Are the trigger guards for the Sporting Rifle and the other models interchangeable to the respective models' stock? Can these parts be found for sale? Are the condition of spares such that they would probably require blueing themselves? Would a replacement part be more costly than merely re-blueing one that has been buffed out? Would appreciate any info on this subject prior to giving him the go ahead on the blueing job. Thanks fellas for all your advice and responses.
Bob
Old 06-02-2020, 05:12 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog1 View Post
Just returned from my gunsmith. Was a good day. We removed the barreled action of my 52C to check the date of the barrel. As was stated earlier in this thread, it's date of 1953 matches the serial number range of my rifle. I finally feel confident I purchased a bona fide 52C Sporter with a custom stock. My gunsmith also could not find any evidence of earlier re-blueing, aside from the mess made to the trigger guard by a previous owner. He said he could finish buffing out any remaining rust/pitting and reblue just this part to match either the barrel or the receiver.

A question for the collectors: Which blue shade/lustre is more correct? The barrel or the receiver?

Regarding the availability and cost of spare parts for the 52C. Are the trigger guards for the Sporting Rifle and the other models interchangeable to the respective models' stock? Can these parts be found for sale? Are the condition of spares such that they would probably require blueing themselves? Would a replacement part be more costly than merely re-blueing one that has been buffed out? Would appreciate any info on this subject prior to giving him the go ahead on the blueing job. Thanks fellas for all your advice and responses.
Bob
Good news on the barreled action...probably a relief to you. The trigger guards for the 52C are unique, as they have holes for adjusting the MicroMotion trigger and do not say "Sporting" like all the previous sporting models, but that's also the good news, as the trigger guards for the much more plentiful and cheaper 52C target rifles are identical. I wouldn't even bother with rebluing your TG; just keep an eye out on EBay. My experience with rebluing those trigger guards is the amount of polishing required to completely remove pits and avoid any discoloration when rebluing will also wash out the Pull and OT roll stampings. When I put together my parts-built 52C, I conferred with some of the experts and learned the barrels were polished using a felt wheel with 400 grit abrasive, then blued with Dulite salts, for what that might be worth to you, but that was for a near-the-end-of-production rifle with soldered ramp and plastic butt plate. If it were me, I wouldn't reblue that rifle. I think the receiver is original, and the barrel probably is original, or at least very close to it, close enough to disregard.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 06-02-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:49 PM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
If you reblue make sure it's done with DuLite bluing salts which is what Winchester used

Last edited by dokey; 06-02-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:28 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Why not try using Slow Rust Bluing on the trigger guard? It's relatively easy to do, and many times I've seen smaller parts slow rust blue, that often times look like regular bluing.......it's worth a shot.

If you pay the shipping, I'd slow rust blue it for free if you'd like?

before

After

Last edited by Flintlock28; 06-02-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Goldendog1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
Why not try using Slow Rust Bluing on the trigger guard? It's relatively easy to do, and many times I've seen smaller parts slow rust blue, that often times look like regular bluing.......it's worth a shot.

If you pay the shipping, I'd slow rust blue it for free if you'd like?

before

After
Flintlock28, what a nice offer and beautiful job. I spoke to a Numerich parts rep this morning to verify that they were sold out of 52C trigger guards they have listed and to ask if they were new or used. She said she showed they were in stock, and the photo of the part seemed to show it was blued. She also said her records showed that they received a shipment of over 400 of them in 2019. We both assumed, based on that info, that they should be newly manufactured. My gut tells me these are close out parts from the Win/Browning R models. For $20, I ordered one, so I’ll see what I got in a week. If this is truly a interchangeable part, blued and finished, I’ll be a lucky boy!
But thanks for the kind offer.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Flintlock28, what a nice offer and beautiful job. I spoke to a Numerich parts rep this morning to verify that they were sold out of 52C trigger guards they have listed and to ask if they were new or used. She said she showed they were in stock, and the photo of the part seemed to show it was blued. She also said her records showed that they received a shipment of over 400 of them in 2019. We both assumed, based on that info, that they should be newly manufactured. My gut tells me these are close out parts from the Win/Browning R models. For $20, I ordered one, so Iíll see what I got in a week. If this is truly a interchangeable part, blued and finished, Iíll be a lucky boy!
Well, I guess we will see, but I can tell you the repro trigger guard has the holes but is also marked "Sporting" so not the same. Also, the repro TGs are slightly narrower in width than the original and won't fit properly. I would think those 400 have to be the repro version. You might also try Wendall at Outback Parts. Very knowledgeable and would never confuse repro parts for originals.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Flintlock28, what a nice offer and beautiful job. I spoke to a Numerich parts rep this morning to verify that they were sold out of 52C trigger guards they have listed and to ask if they were new or used. She said she showed they were in stock, and the photo of the part seemed to show it was blued. She also said her records showed that they received a shipment of over 400 of them in 2019. We both assumed, based on that info, that they should be newly manufactured. My gut tells me these are close out parts from the Win/Browning R models. For $20, I ordered one, so Iíll see what I got in a week. If this is truly a interchangeable part, blued and finished, Iíll be a lucky boy!
Sounds like a plan...if it doesn't work for you, I'd still do the job for free, as long as you provide shipping costs.

Don
Old 06-03-2020, 05:40 PM
Goldendog1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Well, I guess we will see, but I can tell you the repro trigger guard has the holes but is also marked "Sporting" so not the same. Also, the repro TGs are slightly narrower in width than the original and won't fit properly. I would think those 400 have to be the repro version. You might also try Wendall at Outback Parts. Very knowledgeable and would never confuse repro parts for originals.
TBR, you’re such a heartbreaker. Since you’re the gunsmith in the room, I’m sure the part won’t fit as you say. I’ll call Wendell tomorrow and see what he may have in stock. I appreciate the heads up. I naively thought that the specs would have been identical between the original and reproduction rifles. Live and learn. It appears I’ll get to test Numerich’s return policy.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
TBR, youíre such a heartbreaker. Since youíre the gunsmith in the room, Iím sure the part wonít fit as you say. Iíll call Wendell tomorrow and see what he may have in stock. I appreciate the heads up. I naively thought that the specs would have been identical between the original and reproduction rifles. Live and learn. It appears Iíll get to test Numerichís return policy.
Sorry, but I know this because I installed an original 52C re-barreled action and trigger guard into a 52 repro stock once, and doing so required opening up the trigger guard inletting by about .080" (Don't hold me to that precise measurement). Also, the spacing of the action screw holes is slightly different, but not enough to matter much. It was the transition from inch to metric on the Japanese-made repros that created these slight dimensional differences. The worst one is the barrel tenon thread. In an attempt to get the pitch as close as possible to the original, the Japanese engineers resorted to an oddball metric thread I could not replicate on my lathe...I think the pitch was 1.25 mm, or something like that. Not impossible to accomplish, but ended up having to use a friend's Chinese-made lathe and extra gears to cut the threads.

If Wendell doesn't have what you need, I recommend EBay. Make certain there are clear pictures of the TG to give yourself the best chance of it being an un-refinished original.

Good luck

TBR
Old 06-15-2020, 12:50 AM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a stunning rifle ! Enjoy ! Is the bolt handle "scalloped" for bolt clearance ? I couldn't quite tell by the pic , but it appears so . Again , that's a gorgeous rifle ! Looks like one that TBR himself might've cooked up !

Last edited by Savagenut; 06-15-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Goldendog1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last update report on this rifle!

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered a replacement trigger guard from Numerich which was supposed to be a new one. I thought it would turn out to be a closeout part from the Miroku manufactured repros, and was advised by our own Teddy Bear Rat that this part was not interchangeable due to metric vs. inches in mfg. measurements. So I called them back to see if the part was new old Winchester or new Japanese and whether the part had Sporting stamped on the trigger guard which identifies the Miroku part. The sales agent couldn't tell, and since they were at 25% work force staffing, she couldn't call down to parts and have them look at the part. She also told me it would not be delivered to me until August due to their backlog and skeleton crew. So I had my gunsmith finish off the cleaning up and reblueing of the original part. I am posting the original vs. the result. While the "Pull" and "OT" is light, I am satisfied with the result. I have access to a small time engraver who could deepen up the markings, but I do not feel it is necessary.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My range finally opened and I was able to check this rifle's accuracy and whether the scope functioned properly. It started out slow, since it took me a while to get the scope set up and bore sighted. But I was pleased with the 10 power Lyman out to 50 with my bad eyes. Once I zeroed in, I was able to maintain 5 shot groups inside 3/8" at 25 yds., and inside 3/4" at 50 yds. I feel an under-75 year old without severe stages of glaucoma can get that rifle to perform at a higher level, and with a clearer, higher magnification scope, even I might do a better job. Lots of fun, and very satisfying to know that I own a beaut that can shoot! Thanks to all you guys who have contributed to this thread. Bob