First Impressions, Bergara B14 .22LR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:02 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
First Impressions, Bergara B14 .22LR

Picked up my new Bergara B14 in .22LR yesterday. At 9 1/4 pounds, it's heavy for a rifle with only an 18 inch barrel. The fit and finish is first class. Based on the Remington 700 receiver, it takes mounts and triggers designed for the 700. The bolt is large for a .22 rimfire but smooth and locks up like a centerfire. Length of pull is adjustable while the cheek riser is easy to adjust.

The trigger is set for about three pounds from the factory which is heavier than I like. The magazine fits solidly. The mag release is a wide paddle in front of the trigger guard providing an easy extraction. I immediately removed the three swivel studs from the stock so it would ride the bags better. The bore was cleaned after which I mounted a 20 MOA Leupold "Backcountry" rail and put a Sightron 36X SII scope on top.

Today I took it to the range and ran 120 rounds through it beginning with CMP Eley cartridges. I used them to sight in and in spite of making minor scope adjustments after initial sighting in, the average of five 10 shot groups at 50 yards was .777 inches.

Switching to Geco Match, two 10 shot groups averaged .546 inches. Those were followed by three 10 shot groups with SK Pistol Match Special cartridges for an average of .665 inches.

Those groups were all shot with the factory trigger which breaks crisply although it's heavy. As soon as I returned home I installed a two stage Timney trigger that I've set at 12 ounces. I expect my groups to improve on my next outing.

This is an easy rifle to like. It looks, feels and handles well. Once it's favorite ammo is found, it should be a tack driver capable of under 1/2 inch groups.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
As soon as I returned home I installed a two stage Timney trigger that I've set at 12 ounces. I expect my groups to improve on my next outing.
Nominated for Understatement of the Week.

Thanks for the nice report and keep 'em coming. I need to try that Geco Match.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice evaluation, I like mine.

Results from last time out. I ended up buying a case of this lot number. I would highly recommend trying the SK Rifle Match.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 09:34 AM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very nice, KoD. You've added some nice accents; looks great.

I was lucky yesterday to not have much wind to deal with; maybe 4 or 5 mph. Calm days have been extremely rare this Spring, the windiest I can recall in over 30 years.

Next time out I have several different cartridges to try and I'll put SK Rifle Match on my list.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:04 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try some of the Geco Bolt Rifle ammo. It shoots under .5" out of my new Anschutz. Very nice rifle by the way! Congrats!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:22 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, that's the Elftmann 700 SE trigger unit and the Anarchy Outdoors short Dragon Scale bolt knob with swept back handle.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:23 AM
LatLongLost
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Okay! Great posts and nice looking rifle & groups! I got my B-14 R arriving at my FFL tomorrow.

Still deciding what base, rings and optic I want to put on it for NRL22 events.

Thanks for the info on ammo too!
Old 05-23-2020, 03:49 PM
tsiawd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The factory triggers in these rifles are adjustable just so people know.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 PM
T0rtuga
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope they start shipping the barreled actions soon. I have serious rimfire envy right now.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 PM
c.w.moss
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
After handling it and a steel barreled one yesterday, I went with the Carbon. The steel one felt really heavy compared to the Carbon. Got to go shoot it today. Me likey.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just picked up a barreled action today...now I need to decide what stock to put it into. I'm thinking about the KRG Bravo.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:08 AM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For the first time in awhile the wind was low enough to do some long range shooting so I took my Bergara B14 to the range. It's been sighted in for 50, 100, 150, 200 and 250 yards using SK Pistol Match Special. I arrived at the range with it set on 50 yards.

I dialed my Weaver T-36XR scope to the setting for 100 yards and my first two shots were in the 10 ring of my paper target. The 10 ring is .9 inches in diameter. The next five shots removed as many NRA turkeys from the rail. Dialing the scope up to 150 yards, I took seven shots to clean the five NRA turkeys from the rail.

Then it was 200 yards and five shots to clean the five NRA Rams. Finally, at 250 it took seven shots for the five NRA rams.

Setting up all ten NRA rams at 250 yards, I turned over the Bergara to my friend and let him have a go. Once I explained where to aim, he took out the first two with two shots, the next one with two shots and the final seven with eight shots. That's ten small NRA rams at 250 yards with 12 shots. I got the impression that there's a Bergara B14 .22LR in his near future.