Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:30 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Favorite Mark IV model?

I am considering buying a Ruger Mark IV and I am a bit bewildered by all the different model options.

For those who have experience with the Mark IV especially those who have shot multiple different models, which is your favorite and why?
Old 05-31-2020, 06:58 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
like any model Ruger , what are you going to be using it for ?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:21 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Both Hunter and Competition models are great.

If you want the grip of the competition, get it. If you want the HiViz front sight, get the Hunter. of you can get both .

Best bang for buck for me between the two is the Hunter because of the sight, and I don't have to change the grip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 07:27 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Hunter with volquartsen grip and accurizing kit
Old 05-31-2020, 07:29 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Or it you want a volquartsen Habu that is my favorite one
Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I got a five inch Mark IV Standard. I like how easily it points.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have had the Ruger Mark IV Tactical, The Hunter 6" and the 10". I have also had the Mark III in Competition. I like the Hunter the best and then the Competition. Both shoot about the same. I put the competition grips I bought separate on my Hunter. Great pistol, and good for everything. Hunting, plinking and Target shooting.
Good Luck on your decision.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:55 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What do you see as your primary usage? Plinking fun? Basic trainer for kids/grandkids/others? Hunting? Competition?

My 22/45 Lite is fun for working over the plate racks at our club but it wouldn’t be my first choice for 25 yard+ precision work. The 22/45 Target gets the job there. Different pistol for different applications.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I am considering buying a Ruger Mark IV and I am a bit bewildered by all the different model options.

For those who have experience with the Mark IV especially those who have shot multiple different models, which is your favorite and why?
PB,

IMHO, the Ruger 40107 is not only the best $$$ value in the MkIV line-up (can be had for under 3 Franklins), but also offers target sights, the 1911 grip angle and a 5.5" Bull Barrel that balances and points well on top the polymer grip lower! Target shooting, side carry or just plain fun plinking, it has it all!!

Ted
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I like the Hunter 678 because it is a great shooting off hand gun and in my experience the metal grip frame guns shoot better than the polymer models .
I do have both but find the metal grip frame guns to group better.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not anticipate becoming a 25 yard bullseye competition shooter. I would use the pistol mostly for defensive style pistol training allowing the use of inexpensive 22 LR ammunition, and for training newbies in use of a semi-automatic pistol.

An adjustable rear sight would be kind of nice, but certainly not essential. I prefer a pistol with a grip I can get all my fingers on, but that does not appear to be an issue with any of the Mark IV models.

I have no interest in mounting an optic of any kind and don't want a rail. Twenty five yards would be the extreme range at which I would be shooting this pistol. Most shooting I would be doing at 15 yards or less.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 PM
smallguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i am fond of my target model (40101). the heavy barrel adds to my accuracy in a big way. i have a mark 2 with a pencil barrel that i like a lot but the heavy barrel of the mark 4 target works a lot better for me.
but, to tell the truth, you can't really go wrong with ant of the above suggestions. i would definitely get a gun with adjustable sights.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I do not anticipate becoming a 25 yard bullseye competition shooter. I would use the pistol mostly for defensive style pistol training allowing the use of inexpensive 22 LR ammunition, and for training newbies in use of a semi-automatic pistol.
Based on that I think you'd be just fine with a 4.75" or 6" Standard or a 22/45 Lite. Light enough for most newer shooters to easily handle with just a hint of recoil that can be used to train proper grip (IMO).

Quote:
I have no interest in mounting an optic of any kind and don't want a rail.
I don't recall if my Lite came with the rail already mounted or if I had to install it. Either way, it's no problem to remove and put the factory hole fillers to use.

Last edited by awp101; 06-01-2020 at 07:18 PM. Reason: forgot barrel lengths duh...
Old 06-01-2020, 10:19 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:

An adjustable rear sight would be kind of nice, but certainly not essential. I prefer a pistol with a grip I can get all my fingers on, but that does not appear to be an issue with any of the Mark IV models.

I have no interest in mounting an optic of any kind and don't want a rail. Twenty five yards would be the extreme range at which I would be shooting this pistol. Most shooting I would be doing at 15 yards or less.

you mention defensive style training, then maybe you should consider getting a 22LR conversion kiy for the gun you wish to use for defense... if you use a glock, springfield, etc. then get a conversion kit.. that way, you still use the lower and get used to the trigger of your gun better. Just my 2c.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
you mention defensive style training, then maybe you should consider getting a 22LR conversion kiy for the gun you wish to use for defense... if you use a glock, springfield, etc. then get a conversion kit.. that way, you still use the lower and get used to the trigger of your gun better. Just my 2c.
+1

The LGS sold my wife a Glock 27 for her first gun. She couldn't hit a man sized target at 3-5 yards (heeling the gun wide to the right).

I got her second gun, a MK III target, she learned to shoot, then went to a Beretta M9 with a .22 conversion. Now she shoots a Baby Eagle 9mm (IWI Jerihco) very well.

Guns are like shoes, it's gotta fit.