Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM
RimfireFun

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm converted to centerfire? Anyone?

Years ago, some bright guy that wanted to see people enjoy their 5mm rifles, engineered a way to put those rifles back to work. He worked the bolt to take a centerfire firing pin, and supplied shells for people to load their own cartridges. I never pursued it, so I am wondering how that all worked out. Any of your folks know? Any of you have one of those?

(searching this forum, I could find nothing pertaining to this.)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe that was the 5mm Craig. Heres more info. I had one when they first came out. When ammo started getting exspensive I sold it and bought a .223 M788. Still have that and it,s amazingly accurate for 99,00 dollars new when I bought it.
https://www.google.com/search?client...-d&q=5mm+Craig
Old 06-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
That's a pretty interesting narrative; a good article on the scope of the original conversion work is here:

http://www.varminter.com/particles/5mmcraig.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 02:32 PM
RimfireFun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gentlemen: Thanks!

I appreciate your information. Can't recall where I first heard of this conversion, might have been online, but I'm thinking it was a magazine. What a great story of a man having a dream and making it real. American ingenuity.
In one of the links shown above, from a varmint hunting forum, 2005, a poster who did the conversion wrote this:

"Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but if someone ever markets 5MM RF ammo again, all I have to do is swap back to the RF bolt head and I'm back in business."

I hope the writer is still around to enjoy the wealth of 5mm rimfire ammo now available.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
There were Two individuals making the conversions--One was modifying the original bolt and the other furnished a complete bolt.

I have the Craig with the Xtra bolt it makes a nice cartridge especially now that we have different bullet weights to shoot

If you were looking to convert to centerfire James Calhoon sells detailed plans for the conversion

Jim
Old 06-03-2020, 08:04 PM
RimfireFun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, hippy, I don't think I'll be converting one myself. I'd be happy with a 5mm rimfire though. At least I think I would! Wonder if any gun maker will turn one out.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you look at the specs of the 5mm Craig its not a big deal compaired to the modern loadings of the 22 Mag. Initially it was supose to do 21-2200 FPS but I doubt it did. Remington was trying to commercialize on the metric craze. They had the .244 failure that was renamed the 6 mm Rem. The excellent 7 mm Rem mag. Later the super 8 mm Rem mag. Then the another ecellent moderated 7mm-08. The 5mm just really didn,t deliver that much over the ,22 Mag. Like I said I dumped mine for the .223 waht ammo was close in price. Now I have a couple 22 mags, 22 Hornet, .223 and .243. So I,m over covered in that area. Just a neat cartridge that didn,t do anything better.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have to disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
If you look at the specs of the 5mm Craig its not a big deal compaired to the modern loadings of the 22 Mag. Initially it was supose to do 21-2200 FPS but I doubt it did. Remington was trying to commercialize on the metric craze. They had the .244 failure that was renamed the 6 mm Rem. The excellent 7 mm Rem mag. Later the super 8 mm Rem mag. Then the another ecellent moderated 7mm-08. The 5mm just really didn,t deliver that much over the ,22 Mag. Like I said I dumped mine for the .223 waht ammo was close in price. Now I have a couple 22 mags, 22 Hornet, .223 and .243. So I,m over covered in that area. Just a neat cartridge that didn,t do anything better.

I have a 22WMR, a few 17HMR's and several 5MM's. All of them shoot well enough, but the devastation of the 5MM on critters far exceeds the other two. I choose my A17 as my go-to for sage rats just for the shear joy of a semiauto and cheaper ammo, but the 5MM is more fun to shoot them with.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:53 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcloer1 View Post
I have a 22WMR, a few 17HMR's and several 5MM's. All of them shoot well enough, but the devastation of the 5MM on critters far exceeds the other two.
I choose my A17 as my go-to for sage rats just for the shear joy of a semiauto and cheaper ammo, but the 5MM is more fun to shoot them with.
So I.m thinking its the bullet construction? The velocity is very close and a couple thousands of an inch either way isn't a big deal. Or the 5mm Rem may fal into the MAGIC round like the .270 Win.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 PM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
So I.m thinking its the bullet construction? The velocity is very close and a couple thousands of an inch either way isn't a big deal. Or the 5mm Rem may fal into the MAGIC round like the .270 Win.

KE or bullet design I suppose. I have had multiple times where I shoot a sage rat and only find a tail and maybe a paw and/or head. Pretty much vaporized.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:54 AM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
IIRC the original Remington rounds had 4 grooves in the bullet jacket to aid in expansion. Do the ones your using have that? That may be the difference.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 AM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
IIRC the original Remington rounds had 4 grooves in the bullet jacket to aid in expansion. Do the ones your using have that? That may be the difference.

That may be part of it. The original stuff was also 38gr where as the new is 30gr.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:36 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
I have Hunted and shot the 5 MM since it was 1st introduced and now as bac then the 22 Mag the Nay Sayers did not then or NOW have any idea how the 5 MM FAR exceeds the 22 Mag

When it was 1st introduced Red Fox Hides were bringing anywhere between $ 125-200.00 for PRIME pelts.

There were four of us that called Fox on a regular basis 2 22 Mags 1 Hornet and my lonely 5MM during the 1st year we killed over 250 Fox Mostly Red and some Gray .

The Hornet was too destructive on the hides and the 22 Mag had a lot of hits and not confirmed --my 5MM NEVER failed to anchor a Fox and my Kill that years was 87 .

Before next season EVERYONE shot the 5MM

This discussion could go on 4ever BUTTTT until U actually see the difference U will not understand

Jim

Last edited by Hippy; 06-22-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RimfireFun, I have some older information on the 5mm conversion if your interested. First a two page reprint article from Guns Magazine from 4-24-2006. Second a reprint article by Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors about the conversion from 8-2-2007. And finally a price list from Quality Cartridge out of MD. giving prices for the conversion bolt head, reloading dies, brass, bullets, ect.. This from 8-2-2007 so none of it's current but you might find it interesting. If you'd like this information PM me an address and I'll mail it to you.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
I have Hunted and shot the 5 MM since it was 1st introduced and now as bac then the 22 Mag the Nay Sayers did not then or NOW have any idea hoe the 5 MM FAR exceeds the 22 Mag

When it was 1st introduced Red Fox Hides were bringing anywhere between $ 125-200.00 for PRIME pelts.

There were four of us that called Fox on a regular basis 2 22 Mags 1 Hornet and my lonely 5MM during the 1st year we killed over 250 Fox Mostly Red and some Gray .

The Hornet was too destructive on the hides and the 22 Mag had a lot of hits and not confirmed --my 5MM NEVER failed to anchor a Fox and my Kill that years was 87 .

Before next season EVERYONE shot the 5MM

This discussion could go on 4ever BUTTTT until U actually see the difference U will not understand

Jim
Sooooo why didn't become the the next super round instead of a dead round in 10 years? Guess it didn,t impress enough shooters. I love odd ball rounds and I owned it. But nothing special to me. I get it worked for you in your situation but most didn't see it that way.