Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:41 PM
bobknn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Failure to fire

Over the last 600 rounds my SR22 has had an 8% failure to fire rate. It always fires on the second strike. I've checked several of the failures and they don't seem to be light strikes, but I guess they could be. Ammo is Aguila 40 gr high velocity. Additionally it fails to feed at about a 2% rate.

I should point out that my wife's S&W 22 compact has had zero issues with that same ammo for 600 rounds. The guns are cleaned and lubed every 200 rounds.

Before I call Ruger customer service I thought I'd see if anyone here had any thoughts, suggestions, insights.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check the barrel for a carbon ring. I found that the Aguila 40 grain tends to stick as the count goes up. Try dropping a round into the barrel and see if it seats. Itís possible the first strike is seating it thatís why it fires on the second hit. I used to just run a wire brush down the barrel as a quick fix until I could do a deep clean on the carbon ring. I have since switched to CCI Blazer 40 grain LRN and the problem has virtually disappeared. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:49 PM
bobknn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíll try that in the morning before I clean the gun.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 12:39 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't neglect giving the mags a good cleaning too! I used to be guilty of waiting for feeding problems to start before cleaning mine. I learned that clean mags improve accuracy because poor, but successful feeds can tweak the bullets as they go into the chamber. Now I clean mine right along with the chamber and firing pin channels. Much better!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 PM
bobknn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP here.
Yesterdayís range session ended with a 7% failure to fire rate again (14 out of 200). Spoke to Ruger cs today and got a return authorization. Gun goes back Monday morning.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 PM
bobknn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP here again.
The gun arrived back from Ruger yesterday. I wonít be able to try it out for a while as the range is closed, hopefully it will survive the lockdown.

Before l sent it in I cleaned and lubed it very carefully. The notes they sent back with the gun were as follows:

Gun was very dirty (if so then after all these years Iíve got no idea how to clean a gun).

Replaced the following:
Takedown lever
Right insert ( not sure what that is )
Ejector
Barrel
Slide assembly

They function tested it by firing 30 rounds of Aguila brass and CCI Mini Mags with no failures. I hope the problem is solved.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknn
Right insert ( not sure what that is )
The frame rails are inserts in the frame. Part #4 on page 41 here:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...sr22Pistol.pdf

Let us know if it works better when you get a chance to try it out. I doubt all those replaced parts were bad, but Ruger CS just changes parts until the problem goes away. No way to know which part was really the problem.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 PM
bobknn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OP here again.after 11 weeks of Covid 19 lockdown I finally got to test my mostly rebuilt sr22 at the range today. Shot 200 rounds of Aguila 40 gr copper plated high velocity with 4 failure to fire. All 4 fired on the second strike. The first 2 failures may have been my faultóó- if thumb on slide can cause that. In any event thatís a 2% failure rate. I guess I can live with that.