Any experience with a Rossi M515 22 magnum? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any experience with a Rossi M515 22 magnum?

I just put a Rossi M515 on layaway for right around $200 after tax, and wanted to know what people's impressions of the gun were. It kind of reminds me of a Smith & Wesson model 63 only chambered in 22 mag. If you are familiar with the gun, what are your impressions and experiences? I am getting to be a real fan of the 22 magnum and when I saw this gun I was intrigued by it. Any and all responses and opinions are appreciated.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I am surprised that nobody has any experience with this revolver! I guess there aren't too many of them out there. Well, I am still open to any comments or opinions.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:55 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one and like it a lot. I think Interarms only imported them for one year, 1992.

Mine doesn't lock up as tight as I'd like, but it shoots really well. The sights are excellent and I really like the extra weight of the fat barrel rib. I like the smooth-face trigger. .22 Magnum from a 4" barrel produces a nice fireball.

This would be excellent for the trail or as a hunting sidearm. Stainless steel, reasonable size & weight, and it costs about 1/3 as much as a S&W 651.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks SquirrelPilot! I. Was able to pick the gun up and I hope to get it out to shoot next week. Mine locks up pretty tight and I am optimistic that it will shoot good. A range trip is all I need to prove it.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:58 AM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$200 is a great price.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 AM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
I just put a Rossi M515 on layaway for right around $200 after tax, and wanted to know what people's impressions of the gun were. It kind of reminds me of a Smith & Wesson model 63 only chambered in 22 mag. If you are familiar with the gun, what are your impressions and experiences? I am getting to be a real fan of the 22 magnum and when I saw this gun I was intrigued by it. Any and all responses and opinions are appreciated.
I have five Rossi 515s and think that they are a great value for $200. I keep a couple of them in vehicles and a couple more cached in my vacation properties in CO and NH. Three of my favorite "woods loafing" rifles are chambered in .22 MAG, a Marlin 983S, a Savage 24, and a Winchester 275, so a companion revolver is nice to have.

I have replaced all of the grips with the larger "target-style" grips that M&M Gunsmiths sells for $28, plus shipping. If you buy a set of these grips from M&M, you might also want to buy a spare front sight blade for $17. The front sight blades are plastic and I have broken a couple of them when they got brittle in sub-freezing cold temperatures. I have filed new front sight blades from key stock in order to eliminated that potential problem.

If you're interested, you can contact Mike McClellan at M&M Gunsmithing. The address and telephone number are below:

2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green AL 35750

571-276-7676
Old 06-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Sub sailor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, that is a great tip on the front sight blade!!!! When I purchased the gun I actually paid $140 but it was missing the front sight blade. I looked everywhere for one and the only one I could find was on ebay and it was attached to a 515 barrel. I had to buy the whole unit (barrel with front sight) for $60 so now I had $200 in the gun. I had even looked at putting a S&W front sight blade on it but couldn't find one that would work, so your tip on where to get a front sight blade is excellent! . I will be picking up one or two spares! Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-09-2020, 03:55 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I bought mine the rear sight blade was broken off on one side. I think I paid around $170, knowing I'd have to spend more to find a solution. I found a rear sight on eBay. It was for a Rossi .357 but the screw holes lined up perfect and I just had to cut a bit off the mount plate since the .357 assembly was too long. Works great.