Brno Model 1 TGF finish - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brno Model 1 TGF finish

Been doing my homework on the TGF. Were they all delivered originally with a gloss blue barrel/receiver? I've seen reference and photos of a few with an almost parkerized finish on the barrel and receiver and newish condition stocks that were referred to as "arsenal refinished" If that is true and were the case, who or where would they have been refinished and at whose request or standards
Old 05-02-2020, 02:41 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Arsenal refinished means they went back to Brno to be brought back up to a standard, a more utilitarian finish was likely. applied then.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:52 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
I would tend to think that originally these were blued and any parkerized would be part of a re-arsenal. I'm not really sure at who's request... maybe a private company or Chezh government wanting to get them in good working order to sell?

As to why some were parkerized... a guess would be that some possibly having more surface rust would have required more metal prep work to be re-blued vs. parkerized... a measure to minimize the cost? I'm not an expert on either, so I'll be interested to hear what the experts say.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 02:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you gentleman. I,m currently looking at purchasing one as part of a trade so your input is helpful. I think it might be safe to say that its value should be less than one whose finish and perhaps stocks was all original.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Siloshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The original finish was a polished blue. Anything that is dull or matte or parkerized was rearsenaled or touched by an importer.
Another way you can tell if you have an original tgf is by the trigger. They had single stage triggers which were replaced with two stage triggers when they were rearsenaled. That is what I was told by Denny. There are some pictures I think in the stickys or archives that show the differences in triggers but you need to take the gun out of the action to look at the trigger.
Jeff may chime in here also.

Last edited by Siloshooter; 05-02-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-02-2020, 03:21 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
I would also think that one that had not been refinished would hold more value. I have a feeling that many were part of a re-arsenal, maybe not all refinished, but I can say that it's not common to have a Brno with a matching serial number on the bolt handle, at least not with the ones that I've had, but the fact that a bolt from another rifle still has buttery smooth operation is a testament to the quality that went into these rifles.

I did have one mod 1 with a sloppy bolt and Denny was super kind to trade me for another complete bolt that fit perfectly. Upon receiving my old bolt, he advised me that the bolt body was actually a CZ made mod 2 bolt with a mod 1 bolt handle and safety lever. The larger vent hole gave it away, but I was not keen to pick up on that. I tired to get him to take some cash to settle up since it was not a true mod 1 bolt body, but he assured me that he would part out that bolt and we'd be even... I sure miss that guy.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:47 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
The finish on my arsenal refinished TGF appears to be bead blasted and reblued rather than parkerized. I think a nice original BRNO 1 TGF would be worth more than an arsenal refinished rifle in nice from the arsenal condition. I think a nice arsenal refinish is worth more than a beater original. All depends on condition of the guns in question.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:52 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brno tgf right.jpg (100.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg brno tgf 2.jpg (80.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg brno tgf 4.jpg (72.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg brno tgf 5.jpg (77.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg brno tgf 6.jpg (70.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 04:17 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Importer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brno tgf kbi.jpg (71.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 04:18 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...senal+refinish
Old 05-06-2020, 10:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
adjustable trigger on Mod 1 TGF

Having never owned a Model 1 would anyone wish to comment on the 2 stage trigger that was installed on the re arsenaled(refurbished?) TGF's with regards to sear engagement, weight of pull etc.. I'm very familiar with the later Mod 2 design and its ease of modification and/or replacement but was wondering how the two compare
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra View Post
Having never owned a Model 1 would anyone wish to comment on the 2 stage trigger that was installed on the re arsenaled(refurbished?) TGF's with regards to sear engagement, weight of pull etc.. I'm very familiar with the later Mod 2 design and its ease of modification and/or replacement but was wondering how the two compare
It sounds like you may be referring to what's sometimes called the "non-adjustable" Model 1 trigger. Here's a good write-up on adjusting it.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=419463

In the event that you have the "adjustable" trigger and are asking about that one... I had a Model 1 and also a Model 3, both with the "adjustable" trigger. Some people like that trigger just fine - maybe even better than the other BRNO/CZ triggers - but I never got the adjustment or the overall feel so that it suited me very much, and I never warmed up to to the guns. I ended up selling both guns.

Later I bought a Model 4 (essentially a Model 3 with the same trigger as the Models 2, 5, and CZ 452s), and love that gun. I like the Model 4/CZ 452 type triggers because I'm a lot more successful at tuning them to my preferences, and somehow I just like the feel of them better, even aside from the break qualities.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll certainly agree with you on the Models 2, 4, and 5 trigger that continued into the CZ rimfires. I've been very pleased with the installation of YoDave trigger components on three rifles to date. 2 Brnos and 1 CZ 452. For the price I think the results are a great return.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:52 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I would call it a good safe hunting and plinking trigger but don't expect a light target trigger. You can have a clean break with little or no creep but likely at 2-3 lbs pull. I have two other model 1's but have not shot them very much and don't even remember what the others have. I think I recall the nicer of the 2 mode 1's having the adjustable version also.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for coming back on that Hushkaboom, and thank you also for the inclusion of the link to your earlier post, complete with numerous photos, of the TGF in question. The one I'm considering is exactly the same as yours minus the importers marks. I'm still sitting on the fence with regards to this one, I think it will all come down to the trigger when I make the decision to purchase or not.