Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 AM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glenfield model 60 for metallic silhouette?

My old squirrel stocked Glenfield model 60 is a great shooter. Around the farm it's nailed plenty of pests over the years. With the long barrel (18 shot capacity) and magazine tube it has a slightly weight forward feel which makes it "hang" nicely. Great for offhand shooting! So I got to thinking, has anybody used a model 60 for smallbore metallic silhouette shooting?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There is no reason you can't. Give it a go.

Mals
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used high velocity ammo in it for years, mostly bulk stuff. It does pretty good with Winchester white box and Remmie goldens, but it likes CCI Minimags the best. Should I find a Standard velocity offering that shoots good in my gun or just stick with high velocity? Just wondering what type of ammo most people shoot silhouette with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The vast majority of silhouette is shot with bolt guns and standard velocity ammo. My 60 will occasionally short cycle on standard velocity so high velocity is all I shoot with it. It really depends on what your rifle likes.

Mals
Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

With my 60 I can usually run SV with no probs - even the 'good stuff' like SK and Eley SVs will cycle OK. You'll get a bit better accuracy with SV after you adjust your scope to the different ballistic arc. You may have an inch or more drop with SV than HV at 100 yds, and it's still a noticeable drop at 50. I usually run CCI-MM or Fed BlackPak 38g-HV, so if I use SV I have to aim a bit higher. Best to zero with whatever you plan to use most but keep this in mind when you change brands.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

with my 60 I can usually run SV with no probs - even the 'good stuff' like SK and Eley SVs. You'll get a bit better accuracy with SV after you adjust your scope to the different ballistic arc. You may have an inch or more drop with SV at 100 yds, and it's still a noticeable drop at 50. I usually run CCI-MM or Fed BlackPak 38g, so if I use SV I have to aim a bit higher. Best to zero with whatever you plan to use most but keep this in mind when you change brands.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 PM
PuddleJumper65
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
The vast majority of silhouette is shot with bolt guns and standard velocity ammo. My 60 will occasionally short cycle on standard velocity so high velocity is all I shoot with it. It really depends on what your rifle likes.

Mals
Macarbo makes a standard and high velocity recoil spring for our guns, might try one might help on the LV cycles,,just a thought..
PJ
Old 06-30-2020, 08:37 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got done polishing the bolt and the inside of the receiver. I'll have to get to the range and check out how she functions with some standard velocity shells. Polished the hammer and sear too. Pull feels smoother and more consistent. Could probably be a little lighter, but I don't have a trigger scale to check the weight.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up More mods ?

Hi El-cheapo - Have you looked into Arrowdodger's mods ? I've done most of them and found removing One coil of the hammer spring and the 'floppy-spring' mods to be the most productive. Got my trigger down to about 2-1/2# (using soup cans and a digital luggage scale). That polishing was really good for smoothing out the action, I even polished the 'pivot pins' the hammer an sear run on. Also, Arrowdodger drilled a 'new' hold for the sear spring, but I just bent the spring to emulate his 'reduced' tension, seemed to help too lighten the sear a bit. I polished anything I could find that might cause friction, even the side plates and 'under' the disconnector. First time I did all that, I 'over-lubed' with PTFE grease and it collected lots of debris so now I run the action pretty dry. Just a dab on the hammer/sear connection.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
First time I did all that, I 'over-lubed' with PTFE grease and it collected lots of debris so now I run the action pretty dry. Just a dab on the hammer/sear connection.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. Right now it's a smooth two-stage pull, but maybe a tad bit heavy. I have some "lubri-plate" trigger grease that I got from Brownell's years ago I could use. I definitely don't lube much either. Just attracts dirt and gums up the action. Have you had any issues since greasing your hammer/sear?
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Not any probs with just a dab of grease where the sear/hammer meet, and a bit on the sear pivot pin (you need to take action apart a bit to get in there) to make it run easier. I 'sharpened' the intersecting faces of the sear and the hammer - just don't change the angles. I don't put any other lube anywhere cause it just attracts debris. As I said, cutting One coil off the hammer spring and 'bending' the sear spring (see pic) made a world of difference, and the floppy spring takes off over 1# !! Arrowdodger's vid shows this on a gauge. Try these if you haven't already. I even removed the safety button spring! Maybe a few ounces off ? Someone suggested recently to polish the hammer spring strut inside the spring - I don't think that'll change the pull, just make the action 'run' smoother during the cycle. But cleaning the chamber face and ejector notch may improve things, I had a round fire when not fully in the chamber - about 1/8" out ! May have been due to junk stuck around there - luckily I had on glasses!

Sear Spring:
[IMG][/IMG]

Floppy spring :

Safety spring removed:

Misfire :
Old 07-01-2020, 05:14 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice pics! Yeah, that last one is a little scary. Any issues after installing the floppy spring? I might try that. I think I have an old disc around here somewhere...
Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Spring mods

No probs at all !! I's like the return isn't even there. It honestly removes over 1# off the trigger pull. I'd suggest you load some snapcaps and dry fire a bit to get used to the light pull. And if you've cut a coil off the hammer spring you'll notice it even more. I plan to take another 1/2 coil next time I have it down for cleaning. I've read that some have taken 2 or more off with no light strike probs, but I'll hold off till I see what 1/2 more does. I've even taken out the safety button spring - real tiny and the pin that holds the button only goes one way due to taper. Maybe another few ounces off. Next to look at is overtravel - that makes a bit of a jump after the sear breaks.
Good luck with your mods,
Ed
Old 07-02-2020, 07:09 AM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd like to get to the range Saturday morning to shoot some groups. Have some new ammo to test out, so I'm hoping to get the trigger lightened up by then. I'll hit the hammer/sear engagement with a little grease and try out the floppy disc spring. Is it hard to get the spring out?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Not hard at all - the floppy spring is very soft and you can bend it with your fingers. I just used small needle-nose pliers to get the corners at clean angles, bt you can do almost as well with your fingers.
Here's a video that shows this - and he has several others in a series :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l1ciybcldw