Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Serving4Him

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Taking the plunge and need advice

Well, i decide to try a 10/22 build after being inspired by all The great builds on this site. I have a 10/22 with a walnut sporter stock. My plan is to sand the stock to accommodate a bull barrel. I also want to try and darken the stock a bit. Couple of questions. First, After sanding for the barrel(I’ve watchEd videos on this) How do I need to strip the rest of the current sealer Off. Second what product would your recommend to darken the stock and also to seal it after? Any other advice on updating a walnut stock? My plan is to use the same receiver and bolt I have, I may drop in a new trigger, and planning on a tactical solutions barrel then add a can. I’m excited and this is on my bucket list. I just don’t want to screw up my stock bc it was a gift and haS some sentimental value. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020, 11:09 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
you sure you want a heavy barrel in a sporter stock?

I'd recommend the 19" Green Mountain Heavy Taper barrel instead

...is the finish that's on the stock now damaged?..
Old 06-26-2020, 06:25 AM
lbjennings
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Are you sure the stock is walnut? Most 10/22 stocks are light colored hardwoods that are, probably sprayed with a walnut color, to hide blemishes in the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Serving4Him

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The stock is not damaged, Im just afraid I’ll screw it up. I’ll look into the green mt barrels.
I’ll take a pic of the stock and post it. I think it’s walnut but I may be mistaken. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:00 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Take your buttplate off, you may be able to tell the color of your wood. If the buttplate is plastic, more than likely, itís not walnut.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 PM
Serving4Him

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pic attached as promised. I may not need to darken the stock except where I sand the barrel channel. I may be totally off on the process, thats why I need some wisdom. Thanks for any advice wisdom and lessons learned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F0C828A-4DDF-44C6-962E-39A765A3B260_1593197027116.jpg (514.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-26-2020, 02:53 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serving4Him View Post
Pic attached as promised. I may not need to darken the stock except where I sand the barrel channel. I may be totally off on the process, thats why I need some wisdom. Thanks for any advice wisdom and lessons learned!
Thatís a nice rifle, are you sure you want to do something to it?
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Checkering and the Engraved part is really hard to work with and around and IF you are not skilled and careful you will screw it up.. I say leave it alone. You still can hog out the barrel channel and re-seal it with TruOil and go to a aftermarket barrel... just don't mess with the rest of the stock.

Stock looks to me like Birch.. what's the prefix # on the Receiver?

This is what I use to hog out the channel..

Last edited by Chaser; 06-26-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:35 PM
T0rtuga
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had the best luck opening up barrel channels with these:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod6796.aspx

Truoil afterwards to seal it, install, then shoot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p_364700900_1.jpg (10.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Citra strip is the best. Let it work and tooth brush it of. Scrub stock with bath brush and water. Let it dry. Stain with oil based stain. Let it dry a week. Sand smooth with steel wool. Then start tru oil coats.
If you want that finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I agree with Chaser on not messing with the finish. Getting the old finish out of the checkering will be almost impossible without knocking off the tops of the diamonds and making the checkering "look" flat. In all likelihood, it is not walnut. Probably birch or beech. Take a real hard look at the width of the muzzle end of the stock. You may find that the sides outboard of the barrel channel are going to be very thin, after the hogging out of the channel. I've found that the heavy 'varmint" tapered barrels look pretty good in these stocks. 18" barrels look good. Just a little trickier to do the channel, but if you take your time, and don't get greedy with the wood, it opens up pretty easily. They may call these stock hardwood, but its not like its rock hard at all. Also TruOil makes a good sealer for the raw wood.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
+2 On Chasers recommendation. I think the stock looks pretty good IMO. And I'm assuming that the engraving has some sentimental value to you. I'd hate to see anything happen to it.

It's already a nice looking rifle. It may be a good candidate to send to Randy at CPC (Connecticut Precision Chambering) for his "Full Tune-up" service. The rifle will look exactly the same when you get it back but it will shoot to it's full accuracy potential with great reliability. The best deal going as far as 10/22's are concerned for around $200.

Last edited by Nick7274; 06-30-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Serving4Him

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for the info! I sure appreciate it. I’ve about decided to buy a Boyd’s stock And build it from there. I don’t think I need to chance it with this stand enjoy this fun as it is. Thanks again for all the advice!