Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:56 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen Scorpion...almost

I recently acquired a stainless steel Mark II for a good price with the intentions of using it as a basis for something better, so I put on my thinking cap and the wheels started to turn inside the 'ol noggin...

My first order of business was to order a Volquartsen Accuracy Kit, and in preparation for it's installation I stripped the grip frame of everything but the magazine release, and while doing so I noticed how shoddy the finish work on it was. There were obvious file marks, areas that were supposed to be flat that weren't, etc., so I addressed these issues with the proper abrasives and performed some softening here and there, then glass beaded it. I think it looks a whole lot better now with a more even and consistant finish than it originally did with brushed finish marks going every which way...

I also gave the bolt a good strip down/cleaning followed by a mild polish while I was at it, just for something "different"...

I then installed the Accuracy Kit without issue and everything functioned well, being quite impressed with the nice new/lighter trigger pull and adjustable trigger.

Then yesterday the Volquartsen 4.5" LLV barrel/upper receiver finished in NiB and the front and rear sights for the upper that I ordered last week from Wirthwein Guns arrived at my FFL. After getting home I gave the upper a nice cleaning, installed the sights, and attached it to the grip frame. It's a tiny bit darker/grayer in color but I think they look fine together, and yes I plan on sticking with the factory grip panels...

I'm definately looking forward to giving it a whirl
Old 06-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You did an excellent job on the finish of the frame.
It looks great with the new Volquartsen barrel.
Bet it's a good shooter too.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
If I was you I would take the compensator off before I shot it the multi hole is a bear to clean and just put teed protector on it ! And it is a nice looking gun and excellent frame work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 04:22 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the Lead Pulverizer from Volquartsen to clean your compensator. It only takes a minute and it will get all of the lead out with very little work. I use to use The Dip, 50/50 of Peroxide and Vinegar, let it sit in my UltraSonic Cleaner for an hour and then use dish soap and water to neutralize the mix. Now it takes a few minutes to take apart the comp but it's so much faster and more efficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VQ Pulverizer.jpg (514.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-01-2020, 07:30 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
You did an excellent job on the finish of the frame.
It looks great with the new Volquartsen barrel.
Bet it's a good shooter too.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm really fond of stainless steel, really enjoying the restoration of S&W 2nd & 3rd gen auto pistols, so this grip frame was a walk in the park! I have high hopes for this pistol though I've yet to shoot it, and after I do I'll be sure to report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
If I was you I would take the compensator off before I shot it the multi hole is a bear to clean and just put teed protector on it ! And it is a nice looking gun and excellent frame work
I've seen one of Plinkster's videos where he shoots a 6" Scorpion and I was surprised to see the difference in muzzle rise without the pistol's compensator attached. Regardless, I'll be shooting this pistol both with and without the compensator to see if it makes any major difference in accuracy for me, but since I'm not a competition shooter I never let a little inaccuracy ruin my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
Get the Lead Pulverizer from Volquartsen to clean your compensator. It only takes a minute and it will get all of the lead out with very little work. I use to use The Dip, 50/50 of Peroxide and Vinegar, let it sit in my UltraSonic Cleaner for an hour and then use dish soap and water to neutralize the mix. Now it takes a few minutes to take apart the comp but it's so much faster and more efficient.
I've seen the "Lead Pulverizer" over at Volquartsen, but since I'm relatively new to the .22 scene it's significance never sank in. But after reading your reply here I think I'll take your suggestion and order one along with a few more items I have in mind, thanks AzS!!
Old 07-01-2020, 01:10 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Am I imagining things or does the last picture showing the bolt show the bolt ears starting to separate from the bolt body? The two-piece nature of the bolt is clearly visible in the last picture.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:57 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Am I imagining things or does the last picture showing the bolt show the bolt ears starting to separate from the bolt body? The two-piece nature of the bolt is clearly visible in the last picture.
Actually, the image does not show any indication whatsoever of "...the bolt ears starting to separate from the bolt body?", so yes, I'm afraid you're completely imagining it. I was a welder/fabricator for 39 years, with 29 of those years employed with a major airframe manufacturer engaged in the same activities, and there is no indication whatsoever of the original weld joining the rear of the bolt with the bolt body on this particular Mark II bolt even beginning to fail. And even if it eventually did, I have the capabilities of repairing it myself should the need arise - so 'no worries there
Old 07-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Check your compensator are the pins staked in if they are lead pulverizer won’t work unless you can get the pins out check out video on volquartsen website and while it does clean inside good still get lead build up in holes and where pulverizer can’t get to! They do help with muzzle jump but I could tell no difference in accuracy very accurate with or without compensator
Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
Check your compensator are the pins staked in if they are lead pulverizer wonít work unless you can get the pins out check out video on volquartsen website and while it does clean inside good still get lead build up in holes and where pulverizer canít get to! They do help with muzzle jump but I could tell no difference in accuracy very accurate with or without compensator
Thanks for taking the time to comment Turtle...yes, my compensator has the earlier staked in pins. I've seen the Volquartsen video where Scott states that these pins can be "knocked out" by striking the front of the compensator, but I honestly can't see that happening. I'm not entirely sure why these pins had to be staked in anyway as they're held captive by the compensator when it's screwed fully onto the barrel threads...

I think I've give Scott a shout and see what he recommends...maybe he's got a later version with the set screws and we can do a trade since mine is unfired, but I would insist on it being Nickel Boron like the original.

Thanks again
Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
They do look good with the compensator on them that’s for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6DE44B08-1823-4CF2-A276-D1C103F0AE17_1593746022449.jpg (456.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I shot a 1000 rounds threw one and had a heck of a time getting lead pulverizer in it but it did clean inside so I just shoot without the compensator no change in accuracy or point of impact it did have a little more muzzle jump but I got use to that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9D1F8DD-DD64-4D3A-843E-7FCAAF0CB10B_1593746555854.jpg (27.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-03-2020, 07:32 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I've seen you post pics of that pair of pistols before, very nice!! I'd thought about the 6" models but wanted to keep the length down so I could still shoot standard velocity .22lr ammo and remain subsonic.

Even though they add to the aesthetics, I believe that it makes sense to not use the comp if it's not entirely necessary, which it isn't for me as I'm not a competition shooter.

Near the beginning of my .22 suppressor host quest I happened upon the Volquartsen Scorpion and Mamba models, which I immediately began lusting over, but I was trying to keep my expendatures below a grand, and when I saw this stainless Mark II pistol all by it's lonesome in a case at a local pawn shop for $300 OTD I thought it would make a nice foundation for a Scorpion-ish pistol if I could locate a suitable LLV upper for it, and by "suitable" I mean one that would meet my anal retentive requirements, LOL. Thankfully Wirthwein Guns had a few 4.5" NiB LLV model uppers for the Mark II & III pistols still available which I thought would go together nicely with the stainless grip frame of the Mark II that I'd planned on glass beading, so I purchased one along with a set of sights for it and put 'er together.

I have so many black firearms that I thought a change of pace would do me good, and I think it turned out well.

Now all I have to do is shoot the darn thing

Thanks again for your commentary and for sharing the pictures.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I was looking for a 6 inch silver llv for my mark ii volquartsen doesn’t show them on there website
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
Thanks for taking the time to comment Turtle...yes, my compensator has the earlier staked in pins. I've seen the Volquartsen video where Scott states that these pins can be "knocked out" by striking the front of the compensator, but I honestly can't see that happening. I'm not entirely sure why these pins had to be staked in anyway as they're held captive by the compensator when it's screwed fully onto the barrel threads...

I think I've give Scott a shout and see what he recommends...maybe he's got a later version with the set screws and we can do a trade since mine is unfired, but I would insist on it being Nickel Boron like the original.

Thanks again
The older compensator pins should not be staked; they should fit loosely and are retained only when the compensator is threaded onto the LLV upper. I have removed mine (one of the very first) and used inertia to remove the pins, allowing the threaded ring to be removed from the body of the compensator.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I had one staked that I took the same size drill bit to cut the staked park to get them out just go slow and take ur time