Barrel For MKI Target - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:56 AM
PTCSmith
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel For MKI Target

I need a barrel for a Mark I Target pistol. It currently has a 6 7/8 barrel on it with a buggerred chamber.

Bill

Last edited by FlysAlot; 06-27-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:58 AM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I'm not an expert here,but could it be sent to Ruger for repair?

Last edited by rosscoe; 06-25-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:13 PM
HIghstandardguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Your question is a little difficult because there could be a lot of answers. If your goal is to just replace the barrel, first you have to find a barrel that hasn't been made for quite a while. Then you have to find a gunsmith that can (or will) do the job without destroying the receiver and/or barrel. I doubt that Ruger can help since AFAIK they only replace the entire upper, not just the barrel. It's unlikely that they have any T-678 uppers left.

I would think your best option would be to find a replacement upper. Again, finding a 678 upper may be a task as well. If you're willing to accept something other that a MKI 678 upper it might be easier.

I have no experience using a MKII upper on a MKI frame but think it should work as long as you use the MKI bolt. I've only mixed MKII and MKIII uppers and lowers with no issues. MKIII uppers might work as well for you if you remove the LCI.

Hopefully someone with experience doing this will respond presently.

Last edited by HIghstandardguy; 06-26-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCSmith View Post
I need a barrel for a Mark I Target pistol. It currently has a 6 7/8 barrel on it with a buggerred chamber.

Bill Jacobs
Bill,

IMO, an experienced and competent Gunsmith could make repairs to the chamber for you!

In 1992, I inherited a High Standard HB .22 with extensive chamber and breech damage. While I waited, a Gunsmith was able to make full restoration to both, with that rimfire still functioning fine today!!

Ted
Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
If you can not find another solution Ten Ring precision , San Antonio Texas, will reline your barre with a 3/8" Walther /Lothar match barrel insert and a Benz chamber for 225 -250. Not a cheap way to go but definitely quality solution and they guarantee their redo to shoot 1" or less at 50 yards.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 AM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
What is BUGGERED, ?? Firing pin damage or other??
Old 06-27-2020, 01:53 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Pictures of how it is boogered may be critical for getting a decent recommendation.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 AM
PTCSmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be happy to get any barrel that I can fit to this upper. 5 1/2 inch, 6 7/8 inch, or even a pencil barrel from a fixed sight gun. I think I can use a barrel from a Mark I, II, or III. The original chamber has a large divot from extensive dry firing. It has been ironed back into place more than once, and the metal eventually fatigued and broke away from the chamber. Relining is an expensive option, and the owner is cheap. I am a gunsmith, and I am hoping to find a barrel so that we can get his pistol back into operation without his having to be given CPR when he sees the bill.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
There is a company that several people on here order from that has take off barrels , Wirthwein Guns. I believe they have a couple of barrels in stock that will help you .

Last edited by JStacy; 06-30-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 PM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Bill
You may want to give Wirthein Guns a call. He deals in all kinds of parts for the Mark series and has info on his site about what will fit what. I have talked to him and he was very helpful when I had an issue with my Ruger 10/22. Their store is only open by appointment right now, but he will respond if you fill out his contact form.

Another vendor who might help you is Sarona Gun Works.

Last edited by marvin02; 07-01-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 PM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I'm understanding this correctly, you say that the chamber has been destroyed by dry firing which tells me that the problem is probably with the firing pin or the spring/clip under the firing pin. I have several mark I's & II's and none have any mark whatsoever from the firing pin striking the chamber after hundreds of dry fires. The firing pin shouldn't reach that far since the rim of the shell is in the bolt face, not the chamber. None of mine extend past the bolt face when fired, they aren't designed that way.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What HBoswell says is true. For that kind of chamber damage, sometime in the past the pistol either has had a broken firing pin or firing pin stop, or at some point in time the firing pin stop was accidentally not put back in place after the pistol had been disassembled. JMHO
Old 07-01-2020, 06:55 PM
PTCSmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBoswell View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, you say that the chamber has been destroyed by dry firing which tells me that the problem is probably with the firing pin or the spring/clip under the firing pin. I have several mark I's & II's and none have any mark whatsoever from the firing pin striking the chamber after hundreds of dry fires. The firing pin shouldn't reach that far since the rim of the shell is in the bolt face, not the chamber. None of mine extend past the bolt face when fired, they aren't designed that way.
You are absolutely correct. In this case, the firing pin stop pin was missing. Having corrected that, I would love to replace that dinged up barrel.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:45 PM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here you go-------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-I-6-7-...4AAOSw08Fe9LYN
Old 07-01-2020, 10:53 PM
HBoswell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you miss out on that one, there is this one. They both end tomorrow-----

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RST4-4-3-4-...MAAOSwKHNe9L~s