Being a loser has its advantages! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:46 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don’t know how many extra miles I’ve traveled over the years looking for stuff I’ve left behind. Forgetful since me teens have left spotting scopes behind, forgot a rifle, wind flags too many times to remember. Even lost a wallet on a few occasions. The worst was after ten days of shooting National’s is lost my wallet 600 miles from home. Apparently drank a little too much the night before awards ceremony. Borrowed a $20 bill from a secretary to get me to the Michigan border so I could cash in empty beer cans to buy gas with. Wallet has been chained to me since.
May just have to start chaining my windflags to me as well now. Left them apparently at the local range last Thursday evening. Someone liked them even if they didn’t what they were for. Figured this out when loading up the car yesterday for more range time, they were gone.

Out of Delrin to turn more bearings I had some 1” Lucite rod from a stairway project forty years ago. Five more fiberglass driveway markers from Home Depot purchased. Leftover brass rod for bearings from previous flag build a month ago. Buckets full of carbon arrow shafts in the shop, build new ones and improve on design. Perfectly balanced they spin with the slightest wind change in unison.
Nice thing about being a loser, you get lots of practice building stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5CAA3DA1-2BFC-4B07-89A4-31B695BE210D_1593381075834.jpeg (194.2 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by W8LON; 06-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Those donít look like the product of a loser.

You should consider making and selling them.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Those don’t look like the product of a loser.

You should consider making and selling them.
At the rate that I keep losing them it’s a full time job keeping up with my losses.
At this particular range I just expected them to become targets. They shoot anything that is downrange and prefer to blast away at the legs to the backer stands. Two by fours were replaced Friday and blown apart by Saturday afternoon when I went flag hunting. Guess they need a camera system to monitor the crowd lately, no respect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
At the rate that I keep losing them itís a full time job keeping up with my losses.
At this particular range I just expected them to become targets. They shoot anything that is downrange and prefer to blast away at the legs to the backer stands. Two by fours were replaced Friday and blown apart by Saturday afternoon when I went flag hunting. Guess they need a camera system to monitor the crowd lately, no respect.
If people had to pay for destroying property, they would quickly become better shots.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:33 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Unhappy thats a shame

Quote:
At the rate that I keep losing them itís a full time job keeping up with my losses.
It might be time to look into a "PRIVATE" club and make the vandals pay their own way.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:20 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is what it is! Being close to home has its advantages too. Being four to five miles away from home is nice. Others are aware and have brought their own target stands. For $10 a year membership with nice shooting benches and low shooting activity it is a decent place. Problem being as the city donated this land within the city limits to shoot they likely drive by and see the trash and shot up stuff. The vandals are ruining it for everyone.
City actually come in with a front end loader and dump truck to clean up the mess this Spring. There is a broom left out on the firing line but few understand how to use it to sweep up brass. Dustpan disappeared as well.

Enough of that! Windflags are breaking themselves in today’s wind. Bearing surface on top of brass bearing surface is now a shiny glaze. Now to come up with a couple of different weights of flagging material. I’ve glued spent casings on the tails for heavier winds before. Perhaps with the twin tails I can do the same with just one tail and have a multi condition reading in one.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:55 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flagging material has changed so much over the years. The orange pvc material is what we had back in the eighties pvc coated nylon, nice lift in a 1-3mph breeze. The green is the latest stuff light duty, less durable but great in super light detection. Siliconed brass case on one leg helped to lessen flicking. Green too busy in 13mph gusts.
Flag watching!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9248930E-5929-46A9-9A21-F66470A8AE5F_1593474896756.jpeg (229.2 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by W8LON; 06-30-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
......The vandals are ruining it for everyone. There is a broom left out on the firing line but few understand how to use it to sweep up brass. Dustpan disappeared as well.
Its a sad fact of today's generation and not just in your location, its world wide.

Talk about "Wash and Go", the younger and some older generation just want to pay and go, there is no banter, no cup of coffee, no interaction, they are blind and don't see litter bin and as you say no one knows how to use a broom/brush anymore.

Keep safe.

Giz
Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sadly this seems to be a universal trait. I get tired of cleaning up the mess some shooters leave at our ranges.