Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Arroz Con Pollo

Lately I have been making Arroz Con Pollo that is just amazing. It takes saffron as one of the spices to do right and the stuff is around $20 a gram but that much will make 7 - 10 dinners for 3 people because you only use a "pinch" and I DO mean pinch. Really easy to make. I used to get it at at least 3 places in Los Angeles but nobody ever heard of it here so I had to learn to make it. Finishes as a chicken over rice meal that is just soupy enough you need a bowl instead of a plate. Maybe 15min making and then an hour or two cooking. Quick recipe:

for 2-3 people.

6 chicken thighs boned or not.
3/4 - 1 medium onion
3/4 - 1 green pepper (or Bell pepper what ever they call them where you live)
Frozen peas to taste......I have made this with and with out and it is actually better with. I was surprised.
Chicken Broth
Saffron- one PINCH. Not Arroz Con Pollo w/o it but too much would be bad
Garlic powder
Salt

Sprinkle thighs with garlic powder. Chop onions and pepper. I like very coarse chopped so you have pieces of onion and pepper after cooking.

Electric skillet is perfect for this. Olive oil in skillet bring to heat. throw in thighs and onions and peppers and brown the thighs all the way around even to a little crispy around the outside.

Note: Dark meat is important here. Even if you usually prefer white meat trust me that dark is better with this. My wife will not touch dark meat but this is one of her favorite meals now.

Once the meat is brown cover in Chicken Broth and turn down heat and cover. Cook at least 45 minutes. I break up the thighs before serving

Make rice right before serving. Place rice in bowls and ladle pollo over the arroz. Arroz Con Pollo. You will love this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
Sounds interesting, Vincent. Makes use of the least expensive thighs. Which I've always liked the least. I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Wheelgun Dunn
GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Been eating a high protein diet for the past six months and found one of my favorite dishes is Chorri Pollo aka Pollo con Chorizo. It is a chicken breast grilled and smothered with Chorizo sausage, grilled veggies and cheese. Very good.

Yours sounds very appetizing. May have to give it a try!

Thanks for sharing.

Wheelgun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried this recipe. It is great. Thighs have always been my favorite part of the chicken. After the giblets, that is.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
dryfly24
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Lately I have been making Arroz Con Pollo that is just amazing. It takes saffron as one of the spices to do right and the stuff is around $20 a gram but that much will make 7 - 10 dinners for 3 people because you only use a "pinch" and I DO mean pinch. Really easy to make. I used to get it at at least 3 places in Los Angeles but nobody ever heard of it here so I had to learn to make it. Finishes as a chicken over rice meal that is just soupy enough you need a bowl instead of a plate. Maybe 15min making and then an hour or two cooking. Quick recipe:

for 2-3 people.

6 chicken thighs boned or not.
3/4 - 1 medium onion
3/4 - 1 green pepper (or Bell pepper what ever they call them where you live)
Frozen peas to taste......I have made this with and with out and it is actually better with. I was surprised.
Chicken Broth
Saffron- one PINCH. Not Arroz Con Pollo w/o it but too much would be bad
Garlic powder
Salt

Sprinkle thighs with garlic powder. Chop onions and pepper. I like very coarse chopped so you have pieces of onion and pepper after cooking.

Electric skillet is perfect for this. Olive oil in skillet bring to heat. throw in thighs and onions and peppers and brown the thighs all the way around even to a little crispy around the outside.

Note: Dark meat is important here. Even if you usually prefer white meat trust me that dark is better with this. My wife will not touch dark meat but this is one of her favorite meals now.

Once the meat is brown cover in Chicken Broth and turn down heat and cover. Cook at least 45 minutes. I break up the thighs before serving

Make rice right before serving. Place rice in bowls and ladle pollo over the arroz. Arroz Con Pollo. You will love this stuff

Vincent,

It's one of my favorite dishes. Try stirring a bottle of good beer into the mixture before the rice gets soft. Use fresh chopped garlic, onions and tomatoes simmered in good Spanish olive oil as the base. Also good with pimentos and sliced green olives.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is one of the best things I've ever eaten.
I cut the veggies into large chunks and I added a few plum tomatoes from the garden. Mine came out like a clear soup with chicken and veggies in it. Outstanding. Go easy on the saffron.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cooked this tonight. Each time I am amzed at the complex flavor saffron adds to this. I love "peasant" or "Farmers" food from around the world and this is a perfect example. It could use the toughest of the old chickens and still come out great.

A sure way to ruin it is to use fancy boneless breasts and the fine white meat.

Truly delicious.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Guess what I'm having for dinner? Happy, happy happy!

Old 05-25-2020, 04:30 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Saffron is a fantastic and the most expensive spice in the world. But just a little bit is all you need. If you love the flavor of it and you think that it will enhance the dish more by adding more than you get a surprise. You just ruined the dish.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the pre seasoned packages of saffron rice before. It's wonderful with fish too.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wasn't that one of Freddy Fender's hit songs? "Arroz Con Pollo, My Darling..."