Refinishing 917v stock....HELP! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:22 PM
canadian hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation Refinishing 917v stock....HELP!

hey all i just bedded my marlin 917v and in the process i kinda roughed up the stock by the barrel channel :crazy: so i figured id refinish the stock to make it look nice.

does anyone have any pics of a marlin stock they refinished?

its probably cheap wood but i was wondering if there is any way of making the grain stand out like laminated stocks?

if not, what color of stain would you guys use to make it sexy....lol. its a hunting gun so i dont want anything bright.

also, what would be the best way of removing the stain/clear coat thats on it now? i figured sanding but that definatly wont work for the checkering.

thanx for any help

ch312
Old 03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Tdaniel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Canadian hunter,just about any kind of wood stripper meant to remove finish from furniture should take the stain and any finish off your Marlin.As far as using sandpaper,try not to unless you have whiskers in the grain when you strip the finish off,and or maybe some scratches or dents in the wood.Some of those you can probably raise by using a damp cloth and an iron,but be careful not to scorch your wood.Hope this helps ya!
Tdaniel
Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 PM
canadian hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanx man ive neevr heard of using an iron. how deep of a dent would this bring back up? should i use the iron before or after i strip the finish?

ch312
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Dave's Ultra
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=87079

Maybe this will help. I've refinished several stocks, I've found that dark walnut works the best for inexpensive woods. Take your time and the finish will last years, will be something to be proud of!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Dave's Ultra
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use the iron after stripping the wood to let the moisture into the grain. It really works great. Oh, forgot, some hardware stores can custom mix stains into different colors if you like.