Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:31 PM
steelhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Refinishing Question - bead blasting

I have an air compressor and a 10/22 receiver that I would like to bead blast.

Can anyone provide me with what type of beads to get and where I can get them (online, stores, etc.). Also what size or type of bead should I get?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2003, 07:02 PM
ChiefDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chief Says : You will also need a sandblasting cabinet , a sandblast gun ( nozzles) , an inline air pressure regulator and
an inline water/air seperation filter.
Glassbeads are finer than sand , also more expensive. In the old days , guys would buy a syphon kit and use a 5 gal bucket of sand. This was good for the average farmer as the sand did the
small job and was left loose. GLASS beads are fine (very small),
and are something you dont want scattered about or in the air
you breath for that matter.
Media (beads) should be bought in medium or coarse grain "configeration ". This comes in 50 lb bags . Anything of lesser amount costs too much to use. Do buy locally if you can as there
is a hazardous tax added for postal delivery at most locations.
CD.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:58 PM
patm41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the Glass does come in several grades and leaves a very nice finish.. better than sand does...

TSC Farm Supply stores cary a blasting cabinet for 89.00 and is very useful for doing small parts in .. and saves on blasting media too..

One word of warning,, after bead/sand blasting.. clean clean clean the parts good , any threaded holes will need to have a
tap run thru them to get the stuff out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Richard K
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Richard K
You can get a five pound can of aluminum oxide from Brownell's for about $15.00 (I'd recommend the 60 or 120 grit). No hazmat shipping charges on that amount. Set your compressor regulator at 25 to 30 lbs. and hold your work 12 or so inches from the nozzle. Wear a mask and goggles (even when using a cabinet, which I strongly recommend). Gives a very nice gray finish. If you want a bright finish go to the coarser grit and place the nozzle closer to the piece. Practice on a piece of metal of similar composition. I've done steel and aluminum receivers, titanium knives etc.
Good luck!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:56 PM
groundhogsniper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone ever tried blending in the small scuff ( shiny ) marks that matte finishes often get in blue or stainless and if so what were the results?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Richard K
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Richard K
groundhogsniper,

I once had an S&W Model 581 that had been neglected and abused (not by me). It had rust on the matte finished top of the barrel and topstrap that had to be sanded out. After masking off the bright blue areas, I used 120 grit aluminum oxide to blast it and then cold blued it. It came out looking like it came from the factory. I've "blended" scuff marks out on my titanium scaled Sebenza knives and the cylinder on my S&W 360 titanium. If you're not experienced with a blasting cabinet, you need to practice on scrap metal with varying distances and air pressures to match the original finish. I got my blast cabinet at Tool King for around $100 and would'nt be without it. I've also used glass beads that were the remnants from a highway sign shop. They, however, give you a much coarser finish and have re-done receivers on Remington 597s to match the original finish.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:56 PM
chuck brooks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just my two cents worth try and find a auto parts store that rebuilds motors or a alternater rebuild shop they should have a glass bead cabnet or they may tell you of someone that does. Im sure they would be glad to help you out maybe no charge. good luck.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 AM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap blasting box:

In my early days, a cardboard box and a sheet of plexiglass worked pretty good. Goggles and gloves are a good idea, also a broom and dustpan. Glass beads are like tiny marbles on the smooth concrete.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:40 AM
ChiefDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chief Says : If you do opt to buy a cabinet , get one that is one
complete : molded unit: . I ordered one from Northern freight,
When I got it , it had to be assembled . Came with about 100
nuts / bolts , sides , top, bottom and door all bolted togather.

Well Ive seen sand storms in the desert. But this was the first
"glass storm" I ever was in. I unassembled it and returned it.
Bought one that was a complete molded unit. It still leaked around the plexaglass window. " easy fix".

Ya GOT TO remember , your runnin 100-120 psi in there, That glass looks for a way out. And media " beads" is not easy to come by and not cheap. 50 LBS sounds like alot = its not.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:28 AM
steelhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Decision time: I don't have any other projects lined up for blasting and I orginally thought this was going to be a quick and easy job with minimal investment in extra gear/supplies.

After reading the posts, I think I may bow out gracefully and find a shop that will blast it for me.

Then again I might be able to find (create) more projects.......

How much do the molded cabinets run and where can you find them (Grainger, Harbor Freight)?

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:30 AM
xxring
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use white Silica sand (extremely fine) for all stripping work. Glass beads will not give a true matte finish as it "peens" the surface due to the round shape of the glass. Sand will cut the finish off caused by irregular shaped sufaces. After the blasting, if a satin finish like beading is wanted, I use a fine steel wire wheel on a bench grinder to "cut the frost" and burnish the surface. When blued it will give a nice satin finish. If a matte finish is wanted, blast and dunk in the hot tank after cleaning. I use air set to 120 lbs that delivers about 80 lbs to the box quite some distance away. I hold the gun about ann inch from the work. You can use a small hand held blaster bought at most hardware stores and blast outside for small jobs. I suggest a mask is worn at all times and rubber gloves. A SS pistol matte finished with polished sides of the slide is most popular around here. For a 10-22 rec, you can get the small kit and do it yourself outside for a small amount of money. A hand-held portable blasting gun sells for about 25-30 dollars here and all you need is a bucket for the sand, gloves and mask. Be sure to blast upwind.

www.martincustom.com
Old 12-24-2003, 10:55 AM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be sure to blast upwind.

Yeah! Especially if you wear contact lenses!