Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:24 PM
madcap
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
452 LUX STOCK FINISH

Here are some pics of my 452 Lux (new). The wood is pretty nice but the finish is disappointing with unfilled wood pores. Maybe I should be satisfied but I have a 455 that has a beautiful smooth finish and can't help thinking how much the character of the wood in this 452 could really be enhanced.

I found a couple threads on finishing - one quite extensive using a Armoural and BC Tru-Oil technique with stunning results but totally unsure of whether I should attempt to do anything to it.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=331108

Any thoughts...should I leave it alone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (347.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0133 (1).jpg (305.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (489.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by madcap; 05-31-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
If it bothers you, correctly refinish the stock, its common with some CZ stocks while others are smooth as a baby's butt.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:27 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
In deference to NOREMF I'd probably skip the "Magic Elixir" combination and just use straight Tru-Oil Madcap. A couple coats hand rubbed will fill the pores and leave a very glossy finish. Which you could then leave as is or knock down to a satin finish with some rotten stone or a superfine woven abrasive pad.

There's spray on lacquer clear coat too but I don't trust myself with rattle cans so someone else could advise you better on that. The stock making/finishing forum is chock full of methods and ideas https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=275

Have fun!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 AM
madcap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From my reading here on RFC there seemed to be controversy on what CZ used for the original finish...what do you guys think? I want to be certain what I'm getting into if I decide to get involved with improving the finish on this rifle.

Thanks ....

Last edited by madcap; 06-01-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:56 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Very interesting reading below Madcap and lots of useful links should you decide to proceed. Post 35 suggests the answer to your question is lacquer. I'd still go with a quick slurry sand, a couple coats of Tru-Oil, and call it good.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=638377&page=3

Frank
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Very interesting reading below Madcap and lots of useful links should you decide to proceed. Post 35 suggests the answer to your question is lacquer. I'd still go with a quick slurry sand, a couple coats of Tru-Oil, and call it good.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...=638377&page=3

Frank
Very sound advice, noremf settled the "what's the finish" question...its lacquer.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:24 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Reminiscing

Thanks Gerald! It's always a pleasure reading George's (and your) old posts.

Frank
Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 AM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
madcap,

That Lux would look fantastic refinished, but it may take some work to fill those pores if they're as deep as they appear in the photos above. I've refinished about 8 or 10 CZ walnut stocks but not sure I've seen one with pores that deep (again, assuming they are as deep as they look above). I've filled the pores in mine by building up Tru-Oil coats and then sanding down. On the worst ones I probably built up about 8 coats, sanded, and then 4 or 5 more coats, sanded, and then about 8 final coats. A couple of coats properly applied won't come remotely close to doing the job.

Take a look at Post #9 in this thread for a Lux that showed about as much feature under the factory finish as yours does. All walnut CZs have some great-looking wood underneath, some with more feature than others, but the wood is beautiful in person when refinished.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...&highlight=Lux
Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Signalman1

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
For me I love that just the way it is. it's real wood and all it's benefits and downfalls.

Signalman
Old 06-01-2019, 01:00 PM
PRegner
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always been a fan of using a 50/50 mix of BLO (boiled linseed oil) and turpentine. Buff between coats with an old cloth diaper (or similar soft cloth) for a glossier finish, or with 0000 steel wool for more of a satin/matte finish. Scratches and dings are easy to repair with this finish as well.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM
madcap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=I6turbo;11499849]madcap,

That Lux would look fantastic refinished, but it may take some work to fill those pores if they're as deep as they appear in the photos above. I've refinished about 8 or 10 CZ walnut stocks but not sure I've seen one with pores that deep (again, assuming they are as deep as they look above). I've filled the pores in mine by building up Tru-Oil coats and then sanding down. On the worst ones I probably built up about 8 coats, sanded, and then 4 or 5 more coats, sanded, and then about 8 final coats. A couple of coats properly applied won't come remotely close to doing the job.

That example looks beautiful....

I might be tempted to try to fill in the pores on mine no matter how much it takes to compliment that grain but want to be sure. If I do, just to confirm Tru Oil is lacquer and that's what should be used, correct?

How many recommended coats should be laid down before sanding? If I decide on it, my goal would be to fill in the pores and deepen the original semi gloss finish.

Thanks to all so far on the help and comments thus far....

Dick
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 PM
bandit1250
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tru-oil is not lacquer. More of a varnish with driers added. Makes a nice finish if not in a hurry and rush the job.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know how true, I've been told CZ uses various venders for stocks, maybe the reason for variations is grain and finish.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
I've filled the pores in mine by building up Tru-Oil coats and then sanding down. On the worst ones I probably built up about 8 coats, sanded, and then 4 or 5 more coats, sanded, and then about 8 final coats. A couple of coats properly applied won't come remotely close to doing the job.
Ditto.
I've done 5 coats of TO on a lighter colored walnut stock and besides not even close to filling in the pores the more coats of TO applied the more it had a urine, err, yellowish color to it.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:59 PM
madcap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Ditto.
I've done 5 coats of TO on a lighter colored walnut stock and besides not even close to filling in the pores the more coats of TO applied the more it had a urine, err, yellowish color to it.

Nuts that doesn't sound appealing at all.

If a stock was finished in lacquer, then I thought only lacquer should be added to it. So if TO is a varnish that makes me hesitate to do anything until I know more. It takes time for me to collect the info and understand all the variables especially if different vendors are employed which makes it more interesting.

I can't help feeling that beautiful wood could use some improvement but then again, unless I feel confident how to carry it out it shouldn't get touched.

Anyway the input is much appreciated, so keep it coming till I arrive at a conclusion.

Dick