Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
22ingaround
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody know a good stock refinishing guy?

I'm looking to have a reputable craftsmen strip down my gummy rifle and refinish it.
But I don't want just anybody ragging it out, and making it look like a handyman was learning on it.

If you know any proven folks/companies, let me know. So far I've located one company, but it's a bunch of cash. If I have to, I'll send it there.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Chunckchucker
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Give Tuck a Pm. He's a member here, and if you do a search, you will find some amazing pictures of his work.

Chunckchucker
Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Tuck does fantistic work photos don't do his stocks justice. I have one and it's a really good tough finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Kent Owens

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gary Lemons(Tn. Hillbilly) does some of the best work I've seen on benchrest sporters. I do all my own stuff, but if I was getting someone to do it, it'd be Gary. Great work.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22ingaround
I'm looking to have a reputable craftsmen strip down my gummy rifle and refinish it.
But I don't want just anybody ragging it out, and making it look like a handyman was learning on it.

If you know any proven folks/companies, let me know. So far I've located one company, but it's a bunch of cash. If I have to, I'll send it there.
You'll get what you pay for, whoever does it. A good stock refinish takes a lot of hours.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 PM
22ingaround

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinby
You'll get what you pay for, whoever does it. A good stock refinish takes a lot of hours.
Everything is relative. I suppose it all depends on how much John thinks his time is worth........or how much Henry needs in order to make his monthly alimoney payment.

I have a feeling the charges can vary widely with this kind of job.

What would you pay?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
If I could afford it, I'd hire Tuck. If the stock didn't have a bunch of checkering or other filigree, I'd do it myself. Claude Gatewood charges $40 an hour. I think his minimum was something like $120.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
22ingaround

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Passinby,

I'm not even going to post what this one place quoted me. Let's just say it's a good reason why I still have the rifle standing in the closet now a month later. I think the owner there not only provides Alimoney, and has overcharged Master Card balances, but he owes the Mafia too!

The only concerns I have is if Tuck has ever worked with old Urethane finishes that had to be removed. (especially from out of hand checkered crevices) He suuuurrrre looks like he knows how to apply a fresh finish on a fresh stock! His pictures show that.

And.......I can't ship a rifle to him being he likely is not a licensed dealer.So I'd have to figure how to remove those blue Sako recoil lugs from out of the stock, to send him the stock by itself. There must be a special tool used, as one of the lugs has two little holes bored in it. (that looks like it needs to have a special tool inserted into it and spinned off like a screw) Maybe a gunsmith at Gander Mountain can show me or tell me how to simply do that.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Ping him and ask.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
bass_singer
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I know Jerry Martin at Martin Custom works with wood. I would assume he would do finish repair too. His number is on the bottom left of his home page.

-Stuart Townend, 'How Deep the Father's Love For Us,' c1995, ThankYou Music

I like Dwight, Jordan, Gene, David, et al...