Front Rest - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Front Rest

What is the premium front rest these days? Mine is getting old now, time to get a better one. Don't want to get the wrong one as they are rather pricey.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:57 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I'm happy with my Caldwell Rock. About $135 a few years ago, on sale at Amazon. I get compliments on it. See Tuning up a Rock BR - Updated
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I'm happy with my Caldwell Rock. About $135 a few years ago, on sale at Amazon. I get compliments on it. See Tuning up a Rock BR - Updated
I've got the Caldwell BR. For the money, it's hard to beat. Be sure to read the instructions, and as well the adjustment procedure. For tiny vertical adjustments, I use the front base screw. Works great.

https://www.btibrands.com/wp-content...structions.pdf

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...3#post11535553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Im not sure your sense of what a 'premium rest' may be and mine are the same. So, what have you now that is inadequate, what are your needs and intentions? That might help define how deep into this end of the pit you should be looking.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Im not sure your sense of what a 'premium rest' may be and mine are the same. So, what have you now that is inadequate, what are your needs and intentions? That might help define how deep into this end of the pit you should be looking.
I don't really don't know what I have now as far as the brand goes A metal adjustable front rest that I'm sure cost about fifty dollars some years back. I never have really liked it, been using a bag for sometime now. I just want something steady for testing ammo and sighting in. Middle of the road, I really don't need a high end competition model. I shouldn't have said "premium" and stuck with "a good one". Since I posted I have seen a couple of premium grades and I realize now that I need a lesser one.

Last edited by bucko; 08-19-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Take a look at the Caldwell Rock Deluxe on Amazon. A decent weight without being huge/heavy and good leg spread, no windage top but can be upgraded later if that becomes a want. There are several custom made tops available to choose from that are nicer than the Caldwell on their BR model.
Use the elev. screw for gross adjustment and the rear leg for fine adj. Also use a properly sized forend bag (I like Protector products). Often you will see the Deluxe in a set with bags, if the price isnt too dif from without, why not? But dont expect much from those bags. Use the rear bag position to shift for windage.
This wont have as much 'give' as the front bag you may be using. Good or bad?
And be aware a good bag set up can be better than a loosy-goosy cheap mechanical rest.
Imo, a mechanical rest doesnt do anything magic, it just allows you to make minute adjustments quicker and easier, albeit at a price, and there are lugging it around/set up efforts. I KNOW I look snazzy doing all that so I must dress well for the occasion too.......

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks gcrank1, I'll check it out.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 AM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do follow gcrank1's advice. For serious work I have a Sinclair competition rest; if you found that one, I'm sure it's one of the reasons you decided "premium" was not the term you really meant, lol. The Sinclair is, at retail, somewhat more than 4 times the price of the Caldwell he recommended. I have both, along with a set of Protector bags that work fine with either. Frankly, much as I love the Sinclair, it is overkill 80% of the time.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:54 AM
PeterC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Bench Rest

I'm in the U.K. and have not long ago taken delivery of a Joe Cowan Bench Rest, made in a school workshop by Joe's pupils to raise funds. Well made and great value, Google "Joe Cowan bench rest" or contact Joe on [email protected]
I highly recommend.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You can also watch for a used rest. I bought a Ransom for about 1/3 of the cost of new and my buddy bought a beautiful Sinclair for maybe 1/4 of what they run so there are some great buys if your not in a big hurry.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
I have a Cowan Rest that works great.