Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Classic "old school" benchrest?

10K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  52DH&R12 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I shoot some local fun benchrest matches, these are generally older rifles, 37's, 52's, 40X's and such, we also shoot sporters. We shoot aperture sight and scope matches, no one piece rest, front rest and rear bag only.

This is all pretty new to me as I purchased my first 52 in late April and now have four, two D's a E and a Miroku sporter. My rest is a cast iron Bald Eagle and I use a Caldwell rear bag. As a general rule we all shoot cheaper ammo like SK Standard Plus. For scope matches I have Weaver 24X's and use Redfield Palma, International MK8 rears and International fronts for the aperture matches. For the sporter matches we generally shoot 8X scopes.

I see lots of advice on shooting from one piece rests but seldom see anything on old school aperture sight shooting or shooting off a rest and bag. So if you shoot or have shot the "old school" style benchrest and have some pointers please post them up.

Justin

#35 ·
Our matches are just for fun with very few rules. No one piece rests, if we're shooting peeps, everyone shoots peeps, I suppose you could shoot peeps in a scoped match but no one does.

We shot sporters last week, 8X max on the scopes. There were some varmint weight barrels there and some 10-12X scopes and nobody said a word, we all shot and had fun. I shot my Browning 52 with the scope at 8X and stunk up the place, it was shooting 9 and 10's at 18X on a A-17 target but when I turned it down to 8X the show started, it shot like I was shooting from a running horse. I think next time we shoot sporters I'll take my Savage BTVLSS, at least if I stink it up again I can blame the rifle. LOL Actually it's a respectable shooter.

It's all about fun and enjoying the company of folks who enjoy shooting too.

#36 ·
What you see in these posts is that the "fun factor" seems to be inversely proportional to the "expectation factor". Get a full blown custom and all at once you have shifted into a world where the expectation factor has risen to a point where it can be no fun. Keep your expectations low enough and you are never disappointed and always have fun. The part I can't understand is how you can go to any ARA, IR-50 match and see everyone having fun, doesn't make sense does it?

#39 ·
The part I can't understand is how you can go to any ARA, IR-50 match and see everyone having fun, doesn't make sense does it?
I have never had a worse year in ARA than this year. I've had a couple of matches where I questioned whether I was shooting a rifle or a shotgun. But I still enjoy every match. Why? The people. You'll never meet a nicer, more accepting, and more helpful group of people than in ARA, whether it's a local club match or a national match.

Tom

#37 ·
H&R M12

I currently participate in a monthly postal match with my M12, and older military training rifle. Shoots pretty well and it's a lot of fun to shoot the various matches. There are a lot of the older rifles used in the matches, with iron sights, and with scopes.

If anyone is interested, the match information can be found as follows:

What's a postal match?

Each month, we provide in an email, a set of rules and instructions on how to shoot a match and provide targets for each match. You only need to print your targets, go to a range, shoot the match, score your targets, then take a picture of each target, and email them to the Match email address: NARPMShooter@outlook.com.

We will compile the scores from all shooters, and send a summary of results to all shooters after the month is complete. We also include an equipment list (rifle, ammo and scope) so all shooters can see what everyone is shooting.

And the best part is that there is no cost for you to participate!

Monthly Matches available:
• 50 Yard Scoped Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 50 Yard Iron Sight Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 100 Yard Mini-Palma Rifle Match (.22LR)
• 200 Yard Texas Mosquito Shoot (.22LR)
• 10 Meter Air Rifle Match (iron sight and scoped rifles) (.177-.25 pellets)

To join the competition, simply email Norm or Larry at NARPMShooter@outlook.com, let us know you're interested. We'll email you the Match Information/Rules, and Targets and you'll be all set to join the competition and fun!

#38 ·
Lower expectations, a good defensive posture...

I think lower expectations have their place. Like going out to eat. I like just about every food there is. I liked the hot lunches in public schools. The lunch ladies knew I always ate everything on my plate and would reward me at times with the bigger servings of desert. Every restaurant is fine with me.

And in shooting, if I keep in mind I am competing with myself, and not with others, I can be as gentle or hard on myself as I choose. It helps eliminate internal conflict, clears the mind and often results in superior performance. You tend not to choke up.

#45 ·
Going back to something I posted earlier in this thread...there's nothing I've done in shooting that gave me a better feeling than shooting my first clean at 100 yards with peep sights. A factory rifle, an A25 target, 100 yards, some flags, some wind, an old BSA scope I rigged up as a spotting scope, and a whole lot of luck. It's the only time I did a fist pump after shooting a target. Have been lucky enough to accomplish the task with a couple of rifles, but that first one stands out above any target I've ever shot with any gun in any configuration in any type of match.

Take away the trophies, the certificates, the pins, the cups and whatever else I've been lucky enough to win in BR. None of them made me happier than having that target come back with 20 shots in the x ring.

My hat is off to anyone who shoots aperture sights. I'm not putting down those who use scopes...lord knows I've shot through some pretty nice scopes. But it's neat to pull an A23 at 50 or an A25 at 100 and see all 20 shots in the x ring. And most any good condition factory rifle with good ammo can do it if the shooter is up to the task. Factory apertures, after market apertures, it doesn't matter. The fancy stuff helps, but you can do it with just plain old Palmas, Olympic or International sights.

Kenny

#43 ·
"So, you'd better be enjoying this for reasons other than wanting to win all the time."
True words of wisdom.

#47 · (Edited)
There have been some stretches where Ive thought about selling it all and taking up golf....but I hate playing golf more than I hate my sometimes patterns rather than groups.
Why, just today I threw up the old Caldwell front bag and played a bit, no rear rest/shouldered only, and at 50yd only got some 1/2" 'groups'. Gotta say, I was disappointed looking through the 16x.....
Time was I would have been thrilled.

#48 ·
Heck after we shot a few different types of targets with scopes, we started shooting apertures with the A23/5 at 50. It was the best time I've ever had in shooting a match. And I've shot in quite a few matches.
Copied from Kennys post above #3..

No body takes Kennys lunch money at 50 on the A23/5 target. He gets all the others lunch money.

I havent shot my 82G that way the last 2 summers--shame on me. The gun likes the old SK MATCH w/ a dimpled bullet . Im about out of the SK match and have not tried to find a replacement.

#59 ·
Very good shooting!

It's cooled off here, supposed to be in the 20's tonight so we've moved to air rifles indoors. I'll still shoot some rimfire here at home when the weather permits.

I've looked at a couple 40X's but haven't found one that tickled my fancy. I kinda have the itch for a nice 37 so I've had my eyes open for one. The 52's will always be my favorites, I smile every time I pick one up.

#56 ·
so Justin, look at those 2 targets above and notice there is No sighters, that's because the range officers on a number of days thought the A-23/5 was too large, so I cut the sighter portion off, shot a few fouling shots off target, then cleaned the target...LIKE I WAS GOING TO HIT THE FRAME OR WHATEVER..lol...difference is having shot iron sights for 62 years and having excellent coaches for many....marty

#57 ·
Too bad we just got instant winter here (8 1/2" of snow in the past 48hrs), I was eager to try my new set of Lee Shaver inserts for the Int. MkIII at 50yd. out back :(
Should be a good picture in the J.H. Steward filtered iris (but no correction lens...yet).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.