Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:41 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cricket in 17 HM2

Well I have enough liner here for another 17 HM2 conversion..How does a little cricket converted to Mach II sound

I have this pink one here..I tried to clean the bore..It is pretty nasty..Outside was pretty bad too.Butt plate missing . I cleaned exterior metal up and cold blued it..It was in moisture in my Brothers Shop for quite a few years..It is not worth me relining to .22 again, but might be to 17 HM2, as I have all I need here to do it anyway..

Might work

Last edited by carbineone; 08-22-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:17 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
sounds like a neat idea to me...I'd love to have a Crickett, or a Chipmunk, in Mach2 to go along with my blued, heavy barreled, walnut thumbhole stocked, 22LR Crickett

and you can get a replacement plate for $6

ETA: I see even offer LOP spacers for the synthetic stocks now

Last edited by crackedcornish; 08-22-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:35 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was thinking of a stock like this..I know they made the Crickett in 22 Magnum..I am sure they used the same action..I have no doubt the action will be fine for the 17 HM2..Probably choose a different color option than the stock shown..

Probably have the only one in existence in 17 Mach II,LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2021, 02:22 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've seen Cricketts in WMR, but never directly compared the length of the actions to see if there was a difference...I doubt there is one

a Crickett in 17HMR would be pretty neat too

that stock, in walnut, is what I have on mine
Old 08-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw one in 17hmr at a sale last summer and thought I should probably take it home but something else caught my attention and it was gone ! Only one Iíve ever seen and it had a factory peep on it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 10:11 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would almost bet that 17HMR was custom also..

Anyway I got bored today..It is lined and chambered, barrel reinstalled..Only had time to run three rounds through it tonight..But it works..I will post a pic when I find my card for my camera..I think the Wifes %%%% cat took it..Stinking little thieves.

I still have to find something other than the pink stock,LOL I also have to cut the excess liner off the muzzle and crown the muzzle..Will run about 50 rounds through it tomorrow for a good test run..

One thing that is a welcome side effect..If you own one of these Cricketts you know what a pain they are to load..The necked down little 17 HM2 makes it much simpler to load..I also have my kids Crickett from when they were young..It was not so bad for them to load with small fingers..That one will get shot by the Grandkids next year..

I may visit one other thing..They only have a roll pin and the set screw to hold the barrel in place..I may throw it in the mill and put a little larger, and a solid pin in it to retain the barrel better..Have to look how much bigger diameter I will be able to go without breaking through to the barrel though..

It has a definite crack to it when it fires.

Last edited by carbineone; 08-22-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:38 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemesomecz View Post
I saw one in 17hmr at a sale last summer and thought I should probably take it home but something else caught my attention and it was gone ! Only one Iíve ever seen and it had a factory peep on it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still kick myself for not getting the 17HMR I saw years ago in my friends sporting goods shop..a stainless steel and black laminate model

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
I would almost bet that 17HMR was custom also..

Anyway I got bored today..It is lined and chambered, barrel reinstalled..Only had time to run three rounds through it tonight..But it works..I will post a pic when I find my card for my camera..I think the Wifes %%%% cat took it..Stinking little thieves.

I still have to find something other than the pink stock,LOL I also have to cut the excess liner off the muzzle and crown the muzzle..Will run about 50 rounds through it tomorrow for a good test run..

One thing that is a welcome side effect..If you own one of these Cricketts you know what a pain they are to load..The necked down little 17 HM2 makes it much simpler to load..I also have my kids Crickett from when they were young..It was not so bad for them to load with small fingers..That one will get shot by the Grandkids next year..

I may visit one other thing..They only have a roll pin and the set screw to hold the barrel in place..I may throw it in the mill and put a little larger, and a solid pin in it to retain the barrel better..Have to look how much bigger diameter I will be able to go without breaking through to the barrel though..

It has a definite crack to it when it fires.
you just need to get yourself one of these

https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....t-adult-stock/
Old 08-23-2021, 12:33 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks I did see those stocks too..

Well I took it back out today..Went great for the first 15 rounds..Then the extractor came apart Amazingly all 3 pieces stayed right in the top of the bolt..Nothing appears to have broke..I put it all back in when I got home..Will try again..I shot another 30 rounds after the extractor failure..All went good..The empty rounds are easy to to extract manually..

Now I do not know if this is going to become a ongoing problem, and is caused by the 17 Conversion..We will see I guess if it was just a fluke thing..I do know this, that is one chincey little extractor setup..But I guess they were cheap little Rifles to start with..
Old 08-24-2021, 07:56 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Called Keystone..They are sending out a complete new extractor, spring and plunger..No cost to try to that. The one in there failed again and parts were lost this time..Only think I saved was the spring..

Anyway here is a pic of the Crickett as it is now..I have a this stock coming in black as shown.., and a really cheap aluminum muzzle break for a 10-22 I will make work on it, the 17 HM2 is a kicker you know..Kinda silly but I think the Grandkids will think it is cool

I have this red dot I will put on..I also ordered a Piccatinny rail mount from Keystone to fit that....

I decided to just put a high polish on the metal, rather then leave the stinky cold blue on..I think the bright will look nice with the black stock..

I will post a pic of course when it is all put together..

Last edited by carbineone; 08-24-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:07 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Sounds like a fun conversion, kids and you will likely have fun with it.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:28 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks, messed around this eve, and the barrel has threads for the 10-22 muzzle device when it gets here..If anyone is wandering how that was accomplished..It was simple..I had a spare thread adapter here for one of my Walther Pistols..I simply drilled the inside of the adapter to 5/16ths in my little Lathe..Parted the unneeded section with the metric threads in the Lathe..Green Loctited the remaining 1/2- 28 section on the remaining .17 liner protruding from the end of the barrel with Green Loctite..It is not going anywhere

So if anyone ever considers doing this conversion, and they want to put on a Muzzle device..Leave some extra liner protruding. long enough for the adapter threads..

This method would of course be of use for anything you relined and wanted it threaded..

Last edited by carbineone; 08-25-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:45 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Stock and Scope Mount came today..Looks like the much needed Compensator is delayed till tomorrow..Will post a pic of it mounted on there..

I think it needs a bipod now

Old 08-30-2021, 09:45 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
What is needs is a suppressor....
Old 08-31-2021, 08:06 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes that would be nice..My Wife has wanted a suppressor for quite some time now..Just never got around to it..Was always dreaming the Hearing Protection Act would have went somewhere..Now it looks very bleak on that happening..There was a chance and it could of been done a few years ago, but the ball was not only dropped, it was ignored at a time it could have easily been done.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:53 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Compensator is on..

I did not shoot a paper target today..But I shot a empty paint can That is about as sophisticated I get with targets for the most part....After bore sighting the red dot at home..I zeroed it in on the can..Distance was likely around 30 yards only..But for no magnification and bad eyes, and a cheap red dot..Once dialed in it was putting pretty good groups in the can, well under a inch for sure..

So it is pretty much done..I have to remark the caliber so no idiot in the future puts a .22 short in it and fires it..You would think the .17 bore would be enough..But we know it is not..It will of course not chamber a LR Cartridge..But it will a short.

Overall I am happy with the results and how it came out....