Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One Piece Versus Two Piece

Admittedly I am a newbie to the benchrest game and I am a late bloomer. I know alot about rules for the different styles of benchrest shooting in which limitations are placed on using a one piece versus two piece rest. I currently have both types of rests that I have used at times and while the one piece rest seems to be easier to set up, in my limited experience I don't see much of a difference in actual use if the two piece rest is set up properly. Initially I thought the one piece rest would just blow the two piece rest out of the water in the accuracy department but my results don't seem to bear this out. In other words the results on paper are very similar. The big benefit for me to the one piece rest is ease of setup. Now again, I am quite new to this form of shooting so perhaps I am missing something here. Do the clearly more experienced benchrest shooters here find, or have the same type of results?

I have a follow up question to this inquiry, but will wait to ask it. Thanks for any input on this.

Rick H.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:24 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you shooting groups or score?
Todd
Old 06-11-2021, 10:56 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (90)
My experience is that if you are shooting in a match using a target with multiple bulls, then even an experienced user of a two piece rest is at a slight disadvantage over a one piece rest. The difference may be small, but in the world of bench rest, small differences determine winners and losers all other factors being equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned shooting for score. One shot and move.

Rick H.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:56 AM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Rick, you've had the same results I've had regarding accuracy differences between the two setups. I prefer & seem to do better off a 2pc as thats what I'm most comfortable with.
All I can attribute my experiences with the two setups differences is the rear bag or V notch support on the 1pc. I personally don't like them. I prefer a rear bag myself as I feel it conforms to the butt better than what I've used with the 1 pcs.

Keith
Old 06-12-2021, 07:19 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Choosing and buying a rest for rimfire is a big decision and a lot of thought should be put into it beforehand. Of course if your planning on competing, what is legal with the class I have chosen, do I ever want to use my rest for centerfire, cost, ECT. No rifle will overcome a poor rest setup so either setup is not going to be cheap. (A good competitive 2 piece setup is going to be the most expensive.)
We shoot unlimited for score. We have both setups but the 2 piece is never a consideration when we are loading the car to head to a match. I'm not saying a person can't compete and win with a 2 piece but if you have a choice and its legal why would you not want to take advantage.

Todd
Old 06-12-2021, 07:42 AM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When I started BR shooting no one used a 1 piece rest until a few years later. So my question is why, they all had a 2 piece rests so why spend the money on another 1 piece rest if there is no advantage.
personally I have never used a 1 piece rest.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:47 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have a rest on order from Cliff. Tested tops the other day (indoors) using a friends Arnold. The one piece with certain tops gave worse performance then the two piece using its best configuration.

About 2 years bettering the two piece setup and just learning the one pieces so nothing definitive other then my rifle shoots better from a “happy” two piece then a “unhappy” one piece.

Thinking vibration and the rifles tune come into play. There was a noticeable difference between tops and even the roller with a loose and tight bungee.

Rifle has a preliminary tune derived from a sandbag top on the two piece with very tight ears. It did not like the one piece Teflon button not roller with loose bungee. Totally locked down and roller with tight bungee worked best. (Min recoil). Rest will come with a roller and sandbag top. Then more tuning with whatever works best.

The IR50/50 Sporter guys shoot very nice scores from a two piece but I’m after the consistent geometry from the one piece.

Last edited by Cattleman30; 06-12-2021 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Syntax
Old 06-12-2021, 08:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reason i shoot a 2 piece setup is simply the fact that the club match rules i shoot at do not allow 1 piece rest. It must be a non mechanical sand bag type rear and the front must have 1/2" sand bag on the front rest.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:58 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I find them quite interesting. Assuming my results are somewhat normal I will ask my second question. If I and others see no noticeable difference between a one piece and a two piece rest why are the one piece rests not allowed at certain (Many) venues? Is it due to the presumption that they will automatically give an unfair advantage to those shooting a two piece rest which isn't true in my findings? Or is it due to the fact the setup time is greatly reduced with the one piece rest allowing shooters that use them an unfair advantage by having more time for other "get ready" details? I have yet to declare to myself which rest is the one I like to use best, but for saving alignment time the one piece wins hands down for me. After reading some of the contributions in this thread I may have to re-think using my PQP top with the Delrin rollers and instead try my Greenlaw sandbag top on it, which I have never done. In my case using the one piece rest certainly doesn't give me a quantifiable advantage over a two piece rest. Or perhaps I haven't shot enough comparison targets with them yet.

Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Rick H.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would say at one time rule makers thought excluding one piece rest was a cost savings. That would not be true today. With the one piece a person can make quicker and more precise adjustments in conditions with no change to alignment and recoil resistance.
Todd
Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleman30 View Post
Have a rest on order from Cliff. Tested tops the other day (indoors) using a friends Arnold. The one piece with certain tops gave worse performance then the two piece using its best configuration.

About 2 years bettering the two piece setup and just learning the one pieces so nothing definitive other then my rifle shoots better from a “happy” two piece then a “unhappy” one piece.

Thinking vibration and the rifles tune come into play. There was a noticeable difference between tops and even the roller with a loose and tight bungee.

Rifle has a preliminary tune derived from a sandbag top on the two piece with very tight ears. It did not like the one piece Teflon button not roller with loose bungee. Totally locked down and roller with tight bungee worked best. (Min recoil). Rest will come with a roller and sandbag top. Then more tuning with whatever works best.

The IR50/50 Sporter guys shoot very nice scores from a two piece but I’m after the consistent geometry from the one piece.
Cattleman,

What happened is that you change the how the rifle recoiled and it affected how it shot. recoil management is very important when using a tuner.
as you noticed the more resistance you made the top (friction) the better it shot. I once tried a roller bearing top and sold it after one trip to the range. I used the derlin top which came with my Pappas for years and I am now using a sandbag top for about a year and will never go back. very first match using the sandbag top I shot 748-54X on the RBA target I didn't need to think about why, I knew the top made the difference.

Lee
Old 06-12-2021, 08:10 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Shooters that have a choice have made the 1 piece rest their choice nearly 100% of the time. Swim a mile upstream against the current then swim a mile with the current. Record your times(scores) and tell us which you prefer.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Even the lowliest of 2 piece rests for sporters are better than Caldwell's one piece rests such as their LeadSleds.