HS Model B US...? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:09 PM
green grunt
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to green grunt
HS Model B US...?..Pics

Hello All , I pick up my new to me HS Mdl B US... tomorrow ,

question I have is ... how to I find out when this went into service ?

I understand the B's were 1932-34 , when did they mark them Property of US , thought that started in the 40's
SN # 108322... any info would be great

HS1.jpg

HS 22lr 108322.jpg

HS 22lr 108322...jpg

Last edited by green grunt; 05-24-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-23-2021, 05:44 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Model B was produced as late as 1942 for the civilian market, 1941 or so is when the army started buying them. Want to say 1943 or so is when the HB entered production but I may be wrong. Yours, being hammerless and without the military grips, most likely was part of the initial batch bought by the army, but we could determine more with the whole serial number.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:50 PM
green grunt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
number added , if this was built in the 30's , could it have been stamped later , or was that only done when built ?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
According to the information I have, yours would have been shipped out early to mid 1943. It’s possible it was build earlier but given that production of firearms went to the military during WWII, I would say that it’s a pretty solid 1943 build. Someone else has access to more accurate information for at least prewar guns (how I know mine were sold in St. Louis and Colorado originally), but that’s all I’ve got

Last edited by ClayBelt; 05-23-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:23 PM
green grunt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the help and info... I'll keep digging to see what else can be found... your info was helpful... Cool
Old 05-25-2021, 01:33 PM
green grunt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just pulled the slide off for a bit of cleaning.... is the numbers on the inside of the slide supposed to match the serial number ?
Old 05-25-2021, 03:44 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just match the last 3 digits of the serial
Old 05-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Green Frog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your pictures are a little hard to get details from, but I'll assume your slide is marked Model B-US, right? That would indicate it was built during the War as a military contract gun, just like, but earlier than, the Model HD-USA. Are there property marks on the frame as well? I'm not sure where you got your info about a 1932-34 time frame, but the Model B was just getting going good then and even went through a couple of iterations between 1934 and the time yours was made during the war. Also, it wouldn't have had the Type II take down if it had been made that early.

Contrary to popular belief, the HD Military was not made for military issue, just like the Colt Government Model was not issued to our military, In addition, production of the Model B, Model HB and of course the HD Military was resumed after WW II, while the Models A,HA, C, D, E and HE were never brought back. The hammer models are easily distinguished as pre- or post-War... the pre-War guns all lacked the thumb safety, while the post-War guns retained that design developed for government contracts. Post-War Model B pistols are virtually identical to their late pre-War siblings.

By the early 1950s the pre-War designs had all been discontinued though to be replaced by the lever take down models.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:27 PM
green grunt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
all good info... thanks... mine is not marked with a B-US , just "B" , I read that if it was marked "Property of US" it was a B-US .... (?)

marked on the frame and top of the barrel , crossed cannons on the right side also..

Last edited by green grunt; 05-27-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:36 PM
Green Frog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Possibly the slide has been changed(?). My HS books are all packed away now so I’m going from memory, and at my age I suffer from “Half-Timer’s Disease.” I only remember stuff about half the time.

Froggie
Old 06-04-2021, 03:17 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HS Model B US...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

........just like the Colt Government Model was not issued to our military,
Green Frog,

Are you sure about this statement? Wasn't the Colt Government Model adopted

for use by the Military in 1911? Didn't our troops carry the ".45 Automatic" over

in Europe during World War I? Please explain your posting. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Green Frog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The marking, “Colt Government Model” was only used on the pistols made for the civilian market. Military issue pistols were marked Model 1911 during WW I and IIRC “Model 1911 A1” during WW II. AFAIK, the term Government Model never appeared on military contact pistols. Likewise, the label HD Military was a marketing ploy to call attention to the GI connection.

Froggie
Old 06-07-2021, 10:21 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model B

The Model B was made from 1932 to 1942 according to the info that I have. High Standard and almost ALL Gun Manufactures NEVER discard good parts. They save them for various reasons- repairs, R&D,etc. With regard to the Model B,HB,HD, Supermatic Series,Model 102/103,and revolvers; HS had unused frames for those Models in stock when the plant in CT closed in 1984. I have Model B frames(as well as the others) that have "SH" prefix numbers on them !!! They were numbered in the 1980s for liquidation. I could imagine that the Gov't might have tried to buy any off the shelf items for training(or OSS) during the war. HS could have assembled them even after 1942 ???? We at HS (TX) assembled at least 2 of them in the 1990s with "SH" numbers on them. Forgot to mention, that I have a Hand Stamp "US" that Bob Shea told me "was used in WW II". - Alan Aronstein

Last edited by Alan Aronstein; 06-07-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-11-2021, 12:13 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HS Model B US...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
The marking, “Colt Government Model” was only used on the pistols made for the civilian market. Military issue pistols were marked Model 1911 during WW I and IIRC “Model 1911 A1” during WW II. AFAIK, the term Government Model never appeared on military contact pistols. Likewise, the label HD Military was a marketing ploy to call attention to the GI connection.

Froggie
Froggie,

Thanks for the explanation!