Kidd supergrade vs Kidd standard - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:52 AM
winnebagocountry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd supergrade vs Kidd standard

Is there an advantage to the Kidd supergrade vs the Kidd standard, if you are not planning to swap barrels? Is the supergrade more rigid? Does the receiver type and connection make a significant difference by itself? I'm sure this is not the first time this has been asked.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:57 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
Welcome to RFC, winnie (if I may call you that). You'll find many helpful people here. Re the KIDD Supergrade vs KIDD's standard slip-fit, there are devotees here of the Supergrade as it is the ultimate KIDD. And it does offer the convenience of easy barrel-swapping -- if that is important to you. Having said that, however, the standard slip-fit set-up, especially with the rear tang installed, is very difficult to beat. While the trigger (and KIDD's single-stage and two-stage triggers are as good as it gets) and bolt are important, I believe the barrel is THE most important component for a very accurate rifle. And you have access to any and all of KIDD's barrels for either the Supergrade or standard. So, if you want the ultimate and have the $, the Supergrade is a good choice. If barrel swapping is not all that important (which you can still do with the standard) and you want a somewhat lesser price of entry, you're not giving up much, if anything, going with the standard slip-fit. And if accuracy is your primary want, the 20" .920" SS barrel is the best choice (according to Tony Kidd and many folks here). (I have five KIDD builds -- all slip-fit ).

And I'm sure Chaser will chime in here too.

Doug
Old 06-11-2021, 04:38 AM
cmb1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebagocountry View Post
Is there an advantage to the Kidd supergrade vs the Kidd standard, if you are not planning to swap barrels? Is the supergrade more rigid? Does the receiver type and connection make a significant difference by itself? I'm sure this is not the first time this has been asked.
I've had both models. The quick change feature on the barrel is useful to me in cleaning/maintaining my rifle the way I do. My hands are wrecked from 50 years of abuse and removing the barrel from the action helps reduce my pain quite a bit. As usual, Doug nailed it with his reply so I'll just shut-up and listen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20210130_103542.jpg (112.4 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Having a multitude of KIDD builds of my own and at least a dozen I have assembled and/spec'd out for friends and family I can say IF assembled or spec'd out correctly and good glass atop them and decent mid-grade to high end ammo is used they are near zactly the same accuracy... and they shoot bulk ammo real decent as well (they polish Turd ammo). Durability and rigidity is for the most part a non-factor to worry about. KIDD is Nun Beda no matter how you build/buy it. I do not even bed them.. if I did I might get a tick better accuracy but I see no need to sweat all the options.. pick out what you like and can afford and do it.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:30 AM
RaggedHole
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebagocountry View Post
I originally had a Classic Kidd and then got the Supergrade back in 16'. Both were bedded and inlet for the rear tang with the TS Vantage stock by the azguy, both shot phenomenally. I have never switched barrels but I will tell you being able to remove the barrel so easily and torque it back down in just a couple of minutes is a life saver especially when you are at an event and you run into issues. For a small difference in price go with the Supergrade, you won't be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (307.3 KB, 5 views)