Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:33 PM
Snigley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt Box

Does anyone know if colt ever used any wood grain boxes without the word "Colt" on top? Dark green interior and a colt label on the end, but it has always bothered me that the "Colt" logo is not on top. It came with a second pattern Woodsman.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:40 PM
icdux1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The box you describe sounds correct to me, some from that era had the colt logo in gold print on the outside of the lid, some did not. Wood grain box with green interior should have the colt logo inside the lid. I have one someplace but would have to dig it out. That type box would have been made just after the ď leatherette ď type box and before they switched to the red interior type box. From memory I donít know when the change was made, I think in the mid to late 1960ís. Why not post a photo ? The serial number should be on the bottom of the box and should match the gun, i believe that it should be in black marker.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Snigley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Box Photos

Here's the requested Bos Photos. Note that although the box appears to have appropriate wear, there is on logo on the inside lid. I does have a serial # on the bottom that matches the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post 1.JPG (198.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Post 2.JPG (187.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Post 3.jpg (386.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Post 4.JPG (247.2 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 02:36 PM
icdux1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Real

Pretty sure thatís the correct box, if itís a fake it was done by a master. Personally Iím not a big fan of original boxes, while they are cool and add to the value of any collectible gun..... they are a big pain in the %%% to keep from getting damaged. Personally I would rather have a slightly higher condition gun and let someone else collect boxes ! If you scroll down a few post you will see my colt box circa 1877, I wouldnít be surprised if the right ď box nutĒ wouldnít pay a few hundred dollars for it.... I sure hope he reads this post and sends me an offer ! Anyhow, thatís just my opinion
Old 06-12-2021, 08:37 AM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The box is original and correct. Based on the serial number it dates to 1965 which is a 3rd Series not a "2nd Pattern" example as stated by the OP.

Regards,

Tom Platt
[email protected]

Last edited by prewoodsman; 06-12-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Snigley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the correction Tom. I've just had 2nd patterns on my mind lately.