'MK II' Receiver Marking? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM
cbnky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
'MK II' Receiver Marking?

I have noticed in some photos that the 'MK II' marking on the receiver appears to be added with a hand etcher rather than being stamped. Is this indicative of a converted International to a MK II or perhaps an effort to pass off an International as a MK II?

Should one be concerned about this marking when purchasing a rifle?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge/opinions. Best regards,
cb
Old 06-09-2021, 10:55 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Don't know the answer, not sure if I have seen one marked as you describe.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2021, 09:47 AM
cbnky

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Thank you for your response. I probably could have been a bit clearer in what I am asking. Should have used 'engraved' versus 'etched' when referring to the markings. That said, here are a couple photos hopefully showing what I am referring to.

My main question is should one be concerned about the manner of the marking when purchasing a rifle or is it just a cosmetic issue?

The marking in the first photo appears to have been applied using an electric engraving pen.

The second picture is my personal rifle which on closer inspection appears to also have been 'engraved,' albeit, in a much more professional looking manner.

Last edited by cbnky; 06-10-2021 at 09:49 AM. Reason: photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Several MK I Martini's were sent back for the upgrade of the trigger assembly that the newer Mk II's had, so a full replacement of the trigger assembly offered the adjustable trigger.

Many EARLY Martini's did not have any "Mk." designation and it didn't take long for BSA to offer an upgrade, since the newer rifles were hands-down better in the trigger department.

So....it seems that is where the upgrade designation came from, although it is a crude execution.

another possibility is that the trigger assembly was returned to the customer (or gunsmith) and they scraped the lettering in.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 AM
cbnky

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Thanks for the clarification. So the trigger modification makes it a 'MK II.' Makes sense now. Appreciate the information. Best regards...cb
Old 06-19-2021, 02:55 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnky View Post
Thanks for the clarification. So the trigger modification makes it a 'MK II.' Makes sense now. Appreciate the information. Best regards...cb
I wouldn't say it MAKES it a Mk II, but it brings the trigger up to Mk. II standards.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Internal/external?

Tell us more about the trigger. Do you have to remove the assembly from the receiver to adjust it? Seems like the big change was being able to do the trigger adjustment without having to remove anything from the receiver via the 2 screws in front of the trigger guard.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:08 AM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeley View Post
Tell us more about the trigger. Do you have to remove the assembly from the receiver to adjust it? Seems like the big change was being able to do the trigger adjustment without having to remove anything from the receiver via the 2 screws in front of the trigger guard.
EXTERNAL....That was the feature that made it usable. If you happen to have either pictures or a complete Mk I trigger assembly, set it next to a Mk. II and see the difference.
It was not just an easy matter of putting those teeny adjustment screws.