Got me a steal on a MKIII Hunter PICS - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Bigdog357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Nice pick up and a good price with the upgrades. I picked this one up for new for $450 a couple years ago, had it out last weekend and ran a couple boxes thru it. I want to get one of those charging rings for it. I hate the stock charging handle. The giant red dot I had laying around, looks a little ridiculous on it but it is functional
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Mk III.jpg (536.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-25-2021, 03:49 PM
LostLensCap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats
Old 03-25-2021, 06:23 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should be in jail-theft. Did they have another??
Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 PM
ChargerBill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The serial number in the first photo was put there digitally...it’s not engraved into the metal. Is this a photo from the original listing where you bought it from? Just odd that it was digitally put on the photo after the fact... most people want to hide their serial numbers.

I realize this is an old post that was revived and brought to the top of the feed...I just found the serial number being purposefully placed on the image as odd.

Last edited by ChargerBill; 03-25-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
93% (12)
Real nice find! I prefer the mark Ii but I could'nt walk away from a deal like that.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:38 PM
LostLensCap

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet
Old 04-04-2021, 07:26 PM
RETATCDUDE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice...I need to shoot mine some more. I was at the range the other day. I saw the boys shooting real slow trying to conserve what they had. I gave them a 1400 round bucket of my favorite Remington .22s..

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DEFC73DB-E38B-4A8A-B22D-2B6AD3607C27.jpeg (36.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:03 AM
ChargerBill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good looking MarkIII...I have to find one of these guns!!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:46 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mk III and Mk IV and like to agree with what has already been posted a couple times. The Mk IV is an improved design; but the MK III stainless has a far superior metal polish and finish.

It seems each generation of Mk from I & II both good, to III worse and IV more worst for smooth trigger and internal polish and smoothness. I instaled VQ trigger parts on both my III and IV. That included removing the magazine trigger cut-off on both.

In the III, I removed the LCI and fit up the blank stainless insert. After all was done, I find the Mk III Hunter is my favorite between the III and IV. And due in large part to the esthetics (fluted) and fine external polish.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:51 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I baby my pistol, but; for those who carry them a lot and use them hard, the Mk III stainless finish can be easily buffed up as good or better than new.

The Mk IV is bead blasted and cannot be DIY refinished without special equipment. It does not take much abuse for any of these matt finishes to get looking a real mess.

Some marketing genius convinced some buyers this cheap shortcut (matt crap) will reduce glare. The whole industry followed.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:11 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I recently lucked out with this one. It's my most accurate 22 in the barn. I payed $500 but got it with 7 magazines and the VQ upgrade kit. I did add the replacement LCI which got rid of the jamming problems it had. Probably the reason the seller got rid of it.

I really like the balance and the look of the Hunter.

I didn't do as well as the OP but I'm satisfied with this. It was the start of my small but growing collection of Ruger Mark pistols.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a stainless LCI filler that will cover the hole. I cannot tell if that is a filled with a blue or plastic insert? I would not leave the slot open.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:59 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post

The Mk IV is bead blasted and cannot be DIY refinished without special equipment. It does not take much abuse for any of these matt finishes to get looking a real mess.

Some marketing genius convinced some buyers this cheap shortcut (matt crap) will reduce glare. The whole industry followed.
That "matt(e) crap" finish that you're referring to that is often applied to stainless steel finishes isn't a cheap shortcut, but is instead a means of easily creating a very consistant finish. With stainless steel materials I much prefer the matte finish to the typical brushed finish, the latter of which is an inexpensive way of removing surface blemishes often found on investment cast firearm frames, e.g., like that of the typical stainless steel Ruger revolver, that consists of fine striations going off in numerous directions, which I think looks terrible and cheap.

I enjoy restoring stainless steel handguns that were originally glass beaded and/or had brushed finishes. Below are some examples that I've undertaken:

S&W 5906:

Tanfoglio Witness 45:

Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44mag:

All it takes is a minimal amount of $$ to secure the proper equipment and abrasives, an eye for consistancy, lots of patience, and an understanding of the base material's characteristics.

As a welder/fabricator for many years, stainless steels are my favorite materials to work with, which is a reason why I gravitate towards both owning and restoring firearms made from these materials
Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s mine with my mk II competition. Love both of these Rugers.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:34 AM
RETATCDUDE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try

Remington 32gr High Speed HP in your MKIII