Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Official Savage photo thread.

1M views 2K replies 808 participants last post by  OhioTD22 
#1 ·
:t Post all you Savage pics right here!, I dont have mine yet or else i would. Thanks.

#129 ·
They are medium lower quality scopes but I think it's about the best you can get for $80-$90 (6-24x with target turrets) . I bought the scope knowing I could take it back in 30 days, and for $90 bucks I am pretty happy with it. My last scope was a tasco with turrets and they would not hold a zero. I have no problems with this one.

The things I don't care for:
Parralax adj. on bell is kinda stiff,
Low light above 20x, and 16x is bright and sharp. 24x is only usable on a bright day, and the eye relief lowers at 24x.
They don't offer a sunshade.

As I was righting this I was looking into some of the mueller scopes and they do have some cheaper ones. The only local one was the $250 one, but I found one here , a 8.5-25x44 mildot with a free sunshade, shipped $160 bucks. It seems to have good reviews as well. Now that I think of it...i'm returning my barska tomorrow and ordering that mueller.... Thanks :)

#132 · (Edited)
DaFrog-
There's alot of vertical stringing goin' on with your grouping.
Attempt different torques on your action's bedding.
I'm not ruling out the scope or the ammunition either.
For spit and giggles, try some Federal Gold Medal #719 along with some Remington Sub-Sonics.
These two loads have proved very well in my marlin bolt actions at 50 yards and better.

That rifle should easily print 1/4" @50 yards with your eyes closed.

#133 · (Edited)
That rifle should easily print 1/4" @50 yards with your eyes closed.
Yeah Riiiiight.... in 5 to 18MPH wind :D and even with no wind...sure :rolleyes:

Went back today and was getting some 1/4" group but most were 1/2" with no vertical strigging (not that I would call one round above 4 other "a lot" of vertical strigging either :D but you're very welcome to try this kind of group in the same windy conditions, prone and bipod :bthumb:

But anyway, even from a bench...1/4" all day long with eyes closed and a 10x scope....Naaaahh - don't think so. I speak often with people who have 1/4 MOAs rifle and shoot 1/4 MOAs all the time, but I never see those people in the matches and competitions I attend either or when they come, well...the reality gets adjusted extremely fast.

Thanks for the tip on the ammo....I'll try the Federal Gold Medal #719 along with some Remington Sub-Sonics.

#138 ·
Newbie to forum

I have really enjoyed this thread... drooling over all these fine rigs. :) I'm new to the forum and do the best I can to get by here every day to learn something from a lot of obviously knowledgable folks.

I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how.....

Jim B.
West Texas

#140 · (Edited)
My new Savage (Evolutionized)

Here is my Savage 93 .17hmr as it was born:

Here it is after it has grown up with its Mueller Tactical 8.5-25x44 scope, Burris Signature Zee rings (High/Matte), all sitting in a Boyd's Evolution stock. The stock has been sanded with 1000 grit and now has 5 coats of tru-oil. The pictures don't do the stock justice, the finish really POPS! I need to install the bipod/sling stud and I have some Butler Creek flip-up scope covers ordered.

This outside picture is after I mounted the scope correctly, got in too big a hurry the first time.

#160 ·
Here is my Savage 93 .17hmr as it was born:

Here it is after it has grown up with its Mueller Tactical 8.5-25x44 scope, Burris Signature Zee rings (High/Matte), all sitting in a Boyd's Evolution stock. The stock has been sanded with 1000 grit and now has 5 coats of tru-oil. The pictures don't do the stock justice, the finish really POPS! I need to install the bipod/sling stud and I have some Butler Creek flip-up scope covers ordered.

Did I tell you.. i hate that you get to have Boyds Evo stock and I don't... drives me nuts Boyd's stopped making them!

#143 · (Edited)
Picture......

This is mine. Brand new, and will be sighted in tomorrow morning.

Savage MKII F, Leupold mounts, BSA 4x32 (cheap scope-I'll use this one for awhile and get a better one)

Edit: My last group of the day after sighting in this morning. Yes there is a flyer a little low, I'm pretty sure that was a flinch
from another shot going off next to me. 50yrds no wind, CCI mini-magg

Jim B.
West Texas

#147 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment, 686. Just got done bedding the action on this one.
She shoots under 3/4 at 100 yards on a good day (no wind), hopefully this will help. Took me 2 months (backordered at SAvage) to get this stock. BTW, I also have a 4" S&W 686 with rosewood grips.

Your Savage looks great!

Roger

#148 ·
Savage mkII 22lr

Savage mkIIfv pre-accutrigger
Bushnell Elite 3x7x32
Weaver Grand Slam rings
Rifle Basix trigger

Not much to look at, but this one is a tack driver with subsonics:t
My #1 squirrel gun, drops them on the 1st shot ! I'm almost afraid to change anything on it.
Stock except for the Rifle basix trigger, factory trigger was terrible.
Balances great for a hunting rifle.

Roger