Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Found a Brick of 5mm

11K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Wahoo! I picked up eleven boxes of Centurion ammo this week. Even got them for a reasonable price. Happy Shiny Smiley Face. :D:D:D

#2 · (Edited)
Nice find!!!! How long will that last you? What do you use it for? I have just used mine at the range a few times for sight in and a few targets and several Jackrabbit hunts that only required maybe 30-50 rounds although it is possible to find a large herd of jacks that would require a few hundred rounds. I miss a few of the running shots!

#6 ·
A friend of mine recently found a box of Centurion at a gunshow in W. Springfield, Ma. He called me on the phone to see if I wanted it. At $35 for a box I passed and then felt like kicking myself for letting it go. Last month I found five boxes of vintage Remington for $65 box. They're still there and probably always will be. Last week I got a tip on a local Facebook ammo page about the 5mm ammo I picked up this week. When I got to the shop I couldn't believe that it was marked $20 box. I asked the fella if there was a limit to buy. He said if I wanted all of it I could have it, easiest decision I've made in sometime.

#7 ·
5 mm. mag.

You hit it lucky. I can't even find anyone to part with one round of 5 mm. mag. to show with my TC Contender pistol in pretty wood, in that cal. all I have is one empty round, that a long dead cousin gave to me, and I have never fired a round. I have gathered up a couple of Scopes, and mounts that I could mount on this nice looking pistol, but, I probably never will now. I should sell it, rather than let it set there as a safe queen. I don't look for the powers to be to let us enjoy our rights to shoot our guns, like we used to do. It sure is a sad state of affairs.
Chubbo

#30 ·
You hit it lucky. I can't even find anyone to part with one round of 5 mm. mag. to show with my TC Contender pistol in pretty wood, in that cal. all I have is one empty round, that a long dead cousin gave to me, and I have never fired a round. I have gathered up a couple of Scopes, and mounts that I could mount on this nice looking pistol, but, I probably never will now. I should sell it, rather than let it set there as a safe queen. I don't look for the powers to be to let us enjoy our rights to shoot our guns, like we used to do. It sure is a sad state of affairs.
Chubbo
why not buy a barrel that you can shoot? Cheaper than trying to feed a 5mm and MUCH better than having a fine pistol/carbine (you did not specify) that is nice to look at but can not shoot.:eek::(

For me the T/C Contender is possibly the most fun firearm I have ever owned. There was a time I hunted with nothing else for over 8 years.:D:bthumb:

#9 ·
I found several boxes of Centurion 5 mm ammo yesterday. I believe it was $26 and change per box. I don't have a 5 mm, so didn't buy any of it (though I was tempted to just because of what it is) but have always been interested in one. I may have to go back and pick it all up and start looking for a Remmie to shoot it in.

#16 ·

Less than $20 to load 100 rds.

2450 fps with a 33gr Hornady V-Max (as much energy at 185yds as 17 HMR at the muzzle)

Flatter trajectory: 2 1/2" high at 100yds, 2" low at 200yds

Not at the mercy of rimfire ammo manufacturers.

Bullets primers and powder readily available

Better more consistent accuracy.

100yds

200yds

#22 · (Edited)
5mm Schroeder?
Te original 5mm CF conversion was called 5mm Craig. It used a CNC case that had a cylindrical interior with greatly reduced interior volume. The "Craig" conversion also used your modified RF bolt.

The Schroeder conversion uses a new bolt head with an improved extractor and cases formed from .22 Hornet brass.

The 5mm CF conversion is a "Wildcat" chambering and is generally referred to as 5mm CF.

5mm Schroeder would seem appropriate though as the "Craig" is inferior and has pretty well died out.

#23 ·
New 5mm rimfire ammo (pipe dream)

I was one of numerous people who filled out the survey and communicated with Aguila about getting them to produce the new rounds they had considered producing last year. I don't know if they are still considering it, but I doubt it as they no longer show the listings on their website.

So...a few days ago I went to CCI's website for idea submittals (http://ideas.cci-ammunition.com/). I used their "Submit an Idea" form to request that they offer 5mm rimfire in their lineup. :)

Now it will be like watching the grass grow as I hope to hear something positive. Keep your fingers crossed!

#26 ·
Time to harass Aguila!!!

I spoke with CCI on the phone today and they said they are not interested in producing 5mm ammo. They don't feel there's a large enough demand for it. :( Compared to 22LR, of course not, but there is still an awful lot of us out there who would and will buy all we can get our hands on if someone will just produce it!

I think it's time we start a grass root movement to get Aguila to honor their announcement of three new rounds! :harry:

#27 ·
Got another email from Aguilla today about 5mm Mag production. We need to keep the message that there is a demand for the stuff fresh in their mind. See below.

Hi Don,

Thank you for your interest in Aguila Ammunition. At this time the 5mm Remington product is not in production. We put 5mm production on hold to meet the high demands of our current products. However, we are aware of the strong demand for it on the market. We are trying to achieve realistic demand numbers to provide to production for limited runs of the ammunition. We do not have a date at this time. We will make an announcement when 5mm is back in production. In the meantime, please feel free to check out our other products. Product Catalog Link: https://www.aguilaammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Aguia-Ammo-2017-Catalog.pdf

We appreciate your continued support of Aguila Ammunition and look forward to serving all of your ammunition needs, now and in the near future.

Thank you and happy shooting!
Patty Cuellar

#33 ·
In terms of a centerfire conversion caliber, the FN 5.7x28 cartridge keeps popping up in my head. It seems to me that necking 5.7x28 down to 5.0x28 would be very close to the 5mm Rimfire Magnum dimensions (not exact, but close), and a .204 barrel chambered for 5.0x28 should work real well in a 591 action. The 5mm magazines might even work.

I'm still hoping for another run of 5mm RFM from Aguila. I have a fair stash from the last production run, but would love to get more. I did the survey, but will also email Aguila to ask about producing more 5mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.