Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:32 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 WMR vs .17 WSM

When the .17 WSM was released, I had high hopes. The ballistic tables reflected a large increase in velocity and energy over the .17 HMR and the .22 WMR, especially at longer ranges. Like many, I had to have one, and bought an early model skinny barrel Bmag. Never been more disappointed in a firearm. Inaccurate, lowest quality firearm I have ever owned. Wasted a lot of time and money trying to get it to shoot.

When I bought the Bmag, was thinking would potentially replace both my HMR and my .22 mag. Thought my CZ 452 in .22 mag was going to be trade bait.

Definitely a role and place for the WSM. If you can achieve acceptable accuracy, there is no doubt the WSM is superior over any other rimfire cartridges at extended ranges. A perfect choice for prairie dogs, ground squirrels, etc.. Flat shooting, lower wind drift and better energy retention.

The thing is, I don’t prairie dog hunt or shoot at extended ranges. I use my .22 mag for hunting, pest control and range predator hunting at distances under 100 yds. For that application, not sure the WSM has much of an advantage.

The WSM generates 400 ft pounds of energy. The charts say the .22 mag runs 300-350 ft pounds and most 22 mag ammo runs a little faster than spec. A22 ammo over my chrono, averages right at at 2150 FPS. That works out to +\- 360ft pounds. The heavier bullets aid penetration and the larger caliber provides a wider wound channel. For my intended use, thinking one is as good as the other.

Not trying to start a which is better post. Accuracy being the same, the WSM is clearly
superior for longer ranges. Unless I get into prairie dog shooting, thinking I am good and don’t need a WSM. Not like me to talk myself out of buying another rifle.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My hunting situation mirrors yours and I prefer the versatility of 22 cal bullet weight selection over the long range advantage of the WSM or HRM. Had the WSM included a 22 cal member of a family I might have opted for a 77/22 or maybe even a low wall. Maybe not, but; I would have seriously though about it.

The best result of the 17 revolution was the better bullets that trickle down to the old 22mag workhorse. I think specifically of the 30 grain polymer tip. The 22mag also come with a FMJ that can kill all out of proportion, if hit right. So; we have the old standby FMJ, 40gr HP and new PT bullets.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:30 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaT View Post
Does not pertain to the WSM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:29 AM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Concentrate on the psychics, as someone once posted- 'the wind can make both a fool' or words to this effect.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
with regard to either of the teeny weeny .17 rounds of course.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first production Bmags were nearly all terrible, if you got a good shooter you beat the odds. Current and the previous few years are at a different level, would likely be a much different experience now.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:09 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
DeltaT, if I concentrate on the psychics, will they be able to read my mind?

Just curious...
Old 02-07-2020, 06:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
When the .17 WSM was released, I had high hopes. The ballistic tables reflected a large increase in velocity and energy over the .17 HMR and the .22 WMR, especially at longer ranges. Like many, I had to have one, and bought an early model skinny barrel Bmag. Never been more disappointed in a firearm. Inaccurate, lowest quality firearm I have ever owned. Wasted a lot of time and money trying to get it to shoot.

When I bought the Bmag, was thinking would potentially replace both my HMR and my .22 mag. Thought my CZ 452 in .22 mag was going to be trade bait.

Definitely a role and place for the WSM. If you can achieve acceptable accuracy, there is no doubt the WSM is superior over any other rimfire cartridges at extended ranges. A perfect choice for prairie dogs, ground squirrels, etc.. Flat shooting, lower wind drift and better energy retention.

The thing is, I donít prairie dog hunt or shoot at extended ranges. I use my .22 mag for hunting, pest control and range predator hunting at distances under 100 yds. For that application, not sure the WSM has much of an advantage.

The WSM generates 400 ft pounds of energy. The charts say the .22 mag runs 300-350 ft pounds and most 22 mag ammo runs a little faster than spec. A22 ammo over my chrono, averages right at at 2150 FPS. That works out to +\- 360ft pounds. The heavier bullets aid penetration and the larger caliber provides a wider wound channel. For my intended use, thinking one is as good as the other.

Not trying to start a which is better post. Accuracy being the same, the WSM is clearly
superior for longer ranges. Unless I get into prairie dog shooting, thinking I am good and donít need a WSM. Not like me to talk myself out of buying another rifle.
MacR sir I was in the same boat....kind of....when I first heard of the WSM I just could not wait to see what Savage had made for me to buy...but when I got to the SHOT Show and handled the skinny black barrel rifle with my shooting finger hitting the bolt on the first try. I though I would just wait and see who was going to bring out a nice wood stocked blue barrel rifle I could fall in love with. It never happened so I still don't have one.

I love my 22mag and 17hmr rifles for different shooting needs and between the two I have more 22mags than anything else. It fills my needs.

Signalman
Old 02-08-2020, 10:37 AM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
j, hope not
Old 02-08-2020, 11:35 AM
Airtool
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
DeltaT, if I concentrate on the psychics, will they be able to read my mind?

Just curious...
Coincidently, I'm always entertained by the one's who want me to "Call for appointment"... amateurs... if they're worth their salt, they should know I'm coming... right?

meanwhile, back on topic: I've got nothin'
Old 02-08-2020, 08:54 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I almost corrected that but decided it might be fun.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:40 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Glad you didn't.
Auto correct makes interesting word changes to postings.
Smoothtrigger can testify to that.

He likes shooting on "dead clam" mornings.

Right Smooth?

There's a target around here somewhere in honor of that one.