175 LBS BOAR Killed with a .22 Lr shot to the head - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:22 AM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRifle_1022 View Post
I have been run up my ladder stand deer hunting it was dark and I hear crashing thru the brush and I ran for the ladder went up 5 steps turned around drew my pistol with a flashlight mounted on it and low a behold a 300-pound sow tried to get me I shot her in the head with a 9mm 124-grain gold dot +P between the eyes DROPPED HER LIKE A STONE needless to say after that Deer Hunting was finished for that day.
The Vanderbilts brought in European strain boars for their guests to hunt at Biltmore Estate over a hundred years ago, so they’ve been well established in WNC for many years.

I started seeing wild ones here in the late 70’s. Striped piglets are a sure sign they’re more than just a Poland gone wild. A guy was doing some canned hunts near Starr and I’m sure he didn’t help the hog situation along the upper Savannah. One of my friends killed a big boar on one of those hunts that looked like a European.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM
RugerRifle_1022
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in SC View Post
The Vanderbilts brought in European strain boars for their guests to hunt at Biltmore Estate over a hundred years ago, so they’ve been well established in WNC for many years.

I started seeing wild ones here in the late 70’s. Striped piglets are a sure sign they’re more than just a Poland gone wild. A guy was doing some canned hunts near Starr and I’m sure he didn’t help the hog situation along the upper Savannah. One of my friends killed a big boar on one of those hunts that looked like a European.
Many escape hog farms and then breed with Russian boars ive killed hundreds of white black and brown hogs . the long snout of the pinney wood rooter is a give away that he is a Russian boar breed.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back in the day people had hogs in all of the river swamps here in Louisiana. It was a way of life and it was a very big deal. The hogs were worked, marked, boars cut etc. They were bartered, sold, and was a means for feeding and clothing their families in a time when it wasn't much money. I couldn't even guess how many hundreds there were. Domestic hogs were purposely introduced into the herd. If you got caught taking one you went to jail, if you made it that far, no questions asked. You did not want the reputation of a hog thief in the community. Time goes by, more folks move in and laws change. Hogs are fairly much outlawed now and allowed to be taken in the state wmas and on government. Most people had their own blood lines and evidence of that can still be found. And they went from hogs that had human interaction to generations that have never even seen a human. Completely wild now. In my opinion they are the smartest animal in the woods and I have seen them do some fascinating things. Usually they will run away and some folks say that they are "scared". I personally think that they know that running away is the smartest thing for them to do, but sccared, I don't think that they are actually scared of anything.

Last edited by bucko; 08-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 AM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bucko,

It was like that in Georgia swamps a few generations back. The trouble came when they migrated north into our peanut fields. Tore up everything and destroyed our pecan crop too.

Hogs are smart, and can be dangerous, wild or domestic. When one of those big ugly mangalista boars gets an idea he wants to go see his girlfriend, electric fences won’t keep him out. I think they like the tingle sometimes

Last edited by JB in SC; 08-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 AM
KeisiMekaigo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRifle_1022 View Post
Yes, they carry disease but so do domestic pigs, yes they taste ok if they are 200 pounds or less the male boar tastes like he smells small pigs taste like pork from the store. I wear rubber gloves when field dressing and processing raw pork meat it must be cooked well to destroy and of the blood born disease. In one year I donated 1,700 pounds of processed and packaged pork meat to the needy in my area thru a church food bank.The Large boars become food for coyotes and buzzards I have a special place I put them , it has a ladder stand near by at 60 yards to sit and kill coyotes, the smell of rotten pigs is a good cover secent and I have killed more than 60 coyotes and I leave them where they fall and they keep comming to eat according to my game trail camera.
The first thing you must do when you hunt a male is to cut off his testicles. Otherway meat takes flavours. With good cooking is an excellent meat. In Europe it is mandatory to take meat samples and take them to the vet for analysis before consuming the meat.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:55 PM
RugerRifle_1022
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Seeing them in the back of your pickup truck really brings the scale of these beasts into perspective.
I had to get a front end loader to lift the 585-pound Hog I killed it was as wide as the bed of the truck and as long as the wheelbase on my truck .5 men could not move it an inch.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RugerRifle_1022; 08-03-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:04 PM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeisiMekaigo View Post
The first thing you must do when you hunt a male is to cut off his testicles. Otherway meat takes flavours. With good cooking is an excellent meat. In Europe it is mandatory to take meat samples and take them to the vet for analysis before consuming the meat.
NOPE you only castrate live hogs and feed them well for about 10 weeks and the tast will improve in time and taste as good as pork meat from the store. In my state Game must be dead before you can transport it some states allow transport to a Hog farm where the pigs undergo exam and shots from a vet, Castration of boars and they are kept about 10 weeks and then slaughtered and USDA inspection.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WE GOT PORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Back in the day people had hogs in all of the river swamps here in Louisiana. It was a way of life and it was a very big deal. The hogs were worked, marked, boars cut etc. They were bartered, sold, and was a means for feeding and clothing their families in a time when it wasn't much money. I couldn't even guess how many hundreds there were. Domestic hogs were purposely introduced into the herd. If you got caught taking one you went to jail, if you made it that far, no questions asked. You did not want the reputation of a hog thief in the community. Time goes by, more folks move in and laws change. Hogs are fairly much outlawed now and allowed to be taken in the state wmas and on government. Most people had their own blood lines and evidence of that can still be found. And they went from hogs that had human interaction to generations that have never even seen a human. Completely wild now. In my opinion they are the smartest animal in the woods and I have seen them do some fascinating things. Usually they will run away and some folks say that they are "scared". I personally think that they know that running away is the smartest thing for them to do, but sccared, I don't think that they are actually scared of anything.
[IMG][/IMG]

A night hunt in a Peanut field AR-15 Action .
Old 08-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good work buddy. Something has to get those things under control. If not it won't be nothing but hogs in this part of the country. They will have destroyed or eaten everything else!

Last edited by bucko; Yesterday at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:32 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I have to say, for a .22 LR, that Velocitor really steps out. I shoot them in my 77/22 and CZ 452. Getting harder to find now but I buy them when I see them.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile CCI Velocitor steps out

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
I have to say, for a .22 LR, that Velocitor really steps out. I shoot them in my 77/22 and CZ 452. Getting harder to find now but I buy them when I see them.
James, I agree at 1475 FPS its steps out, that CCI .40 Grain Velocitor is very accurate out to 100 yards keep a good tight group.I zeroed at 50 yards as most of my shots are 50-75 yards. It hits hard penetrates deep the bullet is big as a dime when removed from a hog's skull.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
RugerRifle_1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They do Damage into the Million $ Range .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good work buddy. Something has to get those things under control. If not it won't be anything but hogs in this part of the country. They will have destroyed or eaten everything else!
You should see what they do to a golf course in one night about a 1/4 Million in Damage to the green and fairway and sprinkler system they dug up. They are destroying the Forrest with their rooting.