anyone with experience TK or VQ Trigger? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
anyone with experience TK or VQ Trigger?

Hello all, I am in the process of warming up one of my MkIII pistols. I am installing a hammer bushing, VQ sear, already got rid of that darn LCI, and I am seriously considering a new trigger. When I shoot, I feel most comfortable ( or at least feel as if I have most control) when my finger is on the extreme bottom of the trigger ( target shooting only).

The factory MkIII trigger has a strong curve, and a "sharp" end here, which causes me a degree of inaccuracy as time goes on during a session. Adding the VQ sear will reduce the weight some ( my experience tells me when done the weight is 2.2# or so with VQ sear and spring.

I am currently looking at the TK Victory trigger, and the VQ replacement trigger in either black or stainless. I don't think the metal type will matter much. My gun came with black, so I am inclined to stay that way, although I really like stainless.

The VQ trigger does offer a more straight profile over the stock, and the TK is absolutely straight. The TK is deeply textured, so I am not sure about that?

My biggest concern with the VQ is the hole for the over travel screw. I am aware that getting a hardware store perfect size screw will help here, but is the hole there irritating?

Has anyone tried both? If so, may I have your feedback on them? I guess I can buy both, and sell whatever I don't like, but I prefer to get it right the first time.

They both appear to be in the same price range. I do not own any other pistol ( or rifle for that matter) that has the flat trigger that the TK uses.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Kind regards

Rich
Old 07-24-2017, 08:21 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I had originally installed a VQ trigger on my MkIII 22/45, when TK came out with their trigger I went to the textured face...

From

To

I can't tell you which one you'll like better but I do prefer the TK.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 AM
jm10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I prefer the volquartsen but have had and used them for several years. I did try the flat face tk when it was available but it got traded off.

If possible, I think I would buy both and see which ones works the best for you.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also have the TK trigger. It's texture isn't even near aggressive. I have shot a friend's MkIII with a Volquartsen trigger and it was far better than stock but i am very happy with my Victory trigger. It is the only TK part in my 22/45. It's a keeper.

Last edited by Indigo22; 07-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Edward78
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
89% (15)
Send a message via AIM to Edward78 Send a message via Yahoo to Edward78
I personally dont like the TK trigger but I dont shoot like you and dont like flat triggers. I run VQ triggers in my buckmarks and Ruger Mark pistols

Edward
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have tried both the VC and TK triggers. Was a fan of the TK trigger until they discontinued the smooth face on their trigger. I do not care for the textured face TK trigger. YMMV as they say.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have several VQ triggers installed on Mk II's and M III's. I like them. Adjustable for overtravel and plays nicely with the other VQ parts I have in the pistols. No experience with TK triggers, but I have used other products of theirs and have found them to be good to deal with.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i have the tk trigger and really like it. as the picture above shows, there isnt a ton of room with the flat trigger inside the rather small guard.

i have long thin fingers so it isnt a problem, but wearing gloves may be out of the question. same for anyone with chubby fingers

about the only issue i have found with it is the pre-travel screw can be a pain to adjust. they give you a shortened curved allen to do it, but you have to make small adjustments. and be sure to put some loctite on it, because it will walk otherwise and cause reset issues.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dot sight removal?

Thank you all. I have decided to try them both, however, I didn't even consider the Clark or Majestic trigger. I may need to try 4!!!! I am lucky, in where I can buy and try, and sell off what I like least. I can usually recoup 75% of my money, if the item is lightly used, and I save the package. So, I look at it like a rental.

I already have a VQ trigger on the way. I have a cheap red dot sight that mounts to the Ruger supplied rail. I will now test the claim that it will keep zero even after removal and re-installation. I doubt it will, but I don't think it would be smart to take the frame off the receiver with it installed. I think the one sharp blow required can break something in the sight. Am I wrong? Does anyone else with a dot sight leave it in place during take down with no ill effects?

I will shoot targets with the VQ trigger, and then do the same with the others. I will see which one feels best, while affording the best groups. As a rule, I don't like the straight trigger, but I am willing to give the TK a try. My only real concern is that the texture is too aggressive.

I will report back.

Thank you

Rich
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have kept my TRS-25 installed while separating the receiver and frame many times without damage. Try using a dab of copper anti-seize on the block and tab area. It helps big time... I haven't had to use a hammer since applying some to this area.

My TK trigger has just enough texture to keep my finger from slipping around, but not too much to bite. I have found some of the S&W revolver triggers that were cut with ribs to be too sharp and irritating after a day out shooting.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you. I started this, and now I have a VQ trigger and sear installed. I also put in a TK hammer bushing at the same time.

My MkIII target is one of the tightest frame/receiver arrangements I have encountered. It has been very tight since day one. It comes apart and goes back together with more force than I like. I may start sanding the lug just a touch each time I take it down until it becomes reasonably tight.

Anyway, I did not remove my cheap dot, and it still runs fine.

I adjusted my trigger and it is just fine now. I may try the TK trigger, but I will wait until I shoot a few thousand more rounds, so I can also clean it out at the same time.

I do like the feel of the VQ trigger. It is more flat at the bottom, which is where I tend to pull from. It also is a bit wider, which allows me a more even pull.

I do like it a lot!!!!

Rich
Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 PM
OzarkDaredevil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SGW de-crapped my MK III. Massive improvement. The VQ trigger is excellent.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkDaredevil View Post
SGW de-crapped my MK III. Massive improvement. The VQ trigger is excellent.
What does de-capped mean?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:23 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
What does de-capped mean?
Duh...crapped....got it