Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chiappa Little Badger 22lr

I've read many reviews and watched several videos on the Lil' Badger and decided to get one. I looked at one at Rural King last week for $169. I stopped at Rural King in another town today but they didn't have any left. I was told they closed them out and were not getting any more.
I figured that I'd better get to the other store but stopped at a LGS first. They had one at $269. No thanks!
Went to the first Rural King and the price was dropped to $149. The only one left was the display which had some minor handling marks in the finish so the salesperson dropped it to $119. Deal!

Fist shots with the iron (plastic) sights was dead on at sixty yards. As mentioned in many reviews, the factory sights are crap. Loose and easily moved if bumped.

I mounted a Mueller APV and proceeded to shoot several sub 1" three shot groups at sixty yards off of the BBQ grill with GECO semi-auto ammo. That is until the POI jumped two feet to the left. The culprit was the plastic top rail. It is impossible to eliminate movement. I will try to modify an aluminum rail to fit tomorrow morning and do some accuracy tests with various ammo.
Trigger pull is right at 3 lb.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Sledzil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Lil Badger

I just had mine out at the range yesterday. Mounted a 3-9 scope on it. Sighting in on a bench rest at 30 yards, I can have the holes touching. Firing off the shoulder is another story. Its difficult to be steady because the rifle is so light and I cant get a cheek weld on the stock.

Here is what I've found and done.

The stock sights CAN be very accurate. They are so low on the bore axis that I can get a cheek weld. Adding a scope or red dot raises the sight axis and I lose the cheek weld.

Get rid of the plastic rails. Buy some cheap generic rails with flat bottoms and drill holes to fit. If the bottom rail is left off, the rifle can fold much tighter.

I dont think there is much of a difference between using different brands of ammo unless you were going to bench the rifle. I plan on testing its ability on a bench rest at 50 and 100 yards. Could you imagine doing decent with this cheap rifle vs the expensive target rifles that usually come out to play.

The trigger is very good. I found that when I break open the barrel, I can pull back the hammer at the same time, reload, and fire at a rate of up to 20 per minute.

This rifle is begging to be customized. I'm thinking muzzle brake, single rod stock ( 1/2" aluminum solid bar ) with an adjustable cheek riser and some trigger polishing just for fun.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A trip to Vegas caused a delay in Badger mods and testing. I was going to drill holes in a rail that I already had but decided to order one made for the LB by Longshot. The rail arrived before we got home and I installed it last night. The top of the barrel is not perfectly flat so I roughed up the underside of the rail and applied a thin coat of AcraGel. A Sightron 3-9 rimfire scope also arrived for it but shooting will have to wait since the grass is tall and we're expecting a few days of rain.
I have an extra velcro-style cheek pad around here somewhere that I might install if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 04:26 AM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got a chance to do some shooting. Weather was nice and wind was calm. Decided to use three-shot groups since it's not a target rifle and to save a bit of time.

Average of three groups at 50 yards shooting with the bottom rail on a rest and rear on a bag:
Fed Ultramatch 0.714"
SK Rifle Match 0.643"
SK Std+ 0.733"
CCI Green Tag 0.752"
CCI Std. Vel. 1.243"
CCI Blazer 0.766"
Aquilla Std. Vel. 0.636"
CCI Mini Mag 36hp 1.504"

Best individual group:
SK Rifle Match 0.159"

Consistent hold is critical with this light little plinker. Changing grip or shoulder contact can easily shift groups an inch.