Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM
huffmanite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A target scoring question

Hope this is the right place for my question.

A little background first. Three or four years ago, a small group of us that shot each Sunday morning at private range we're members decided to have a Varmit rifle target competition for centerfire rifles. Idea behind it was to write rules that eliminated use of a pure benchrest rifle and you'd shoot a rifle you could/would use for hunting. That was fun and later we added a shooting a competition for Surplus military rifles. That was fun too. Next, we added a competition for 22 rifles.

22 competition is only shot at 50 yd targets and rifle cannot have a scope. Normally, I just post the scores for these events, that I participate in too, on our shooting clubs website. Seldom have anything to do with the scoring of our targets. Had a situation today that after returning home and was examining the score sheet for the competitions that leads to my question. Three of us had shot a 187 out of a possible 200 pts in the 22 competition. Places of finish was determined by number of Xs they'd shot. There was a mistake made on tallying the scores on one of the guys with a 187 about the number of X's he'd shot. I had the targets from the match and took a look at them to see if I needed to correct the order of finish of our shooters. So, as a result of my careful looking at the targets involved, I have a question about scoring a shot.

You have a bulls eye with a dot in it. The line of the ring making the bulls eye is about 1/32" thick. Of course, a bullet within the center ring is counted as an X and is worth 10 points. But what if the bullet hole in the target in clearly in the ten ring, but it is barely touching the ring. In other words, the bullet hole has not broken the inner ring that makes the bulls eye. Let's say, the hole of the bullet has eliminated 1/4 of the thickness of the 1/32" thick ring making the bulls eye. Of course the shot should be scored as a 10.

MY question is: should this shot also be scored as an X or that only a shot not touching the ring whatsoever is an X?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
NRA rules state that ANY shot that touches the line counts as being of the higher number. So, if the bullet touches the X ring it's​ scored as an X. You may need a Scoring Plug to be sure.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 PM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
USBR targets (which you are probably not using) require you to completely take out the .01 inch 10 ring (there is no x ring) to score an X. Touching the 10 ring is a ten but not an X.

Here is a thread that describes how to score X's on that target. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=719705

Sometimes you can visually see that the whole 10 ring is not taken out, but with a scoring gauge, these will sometimes score as an X if there is none of the green 10 ring showing when using the gauge.

Last edited by theearlof; 03-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The OP did NOT specify which target was used and what the match rules are regarding scoring.....all have a bearing on a correct answer.

However what is universal is that once the match is over the targets can NOT be rescored and any winning positions challanged nor changed. So, whatever the match director declared at the end is what it is.......you can look all you want and question anything but the results have been finalized so your efforts are meaningless.

Some disciplines require the x line or dot be cut for an x(like IR50). Some require the dot to be eliminated for an x (like PSL) and some do not have an "x" (like ARA) even tho there is a center dot.

The OP did say it was an open sight match so I'm going to assume (very dangerous I know) that it was an NRA target scored under NRA rules. In that case any shot that touches the outside edge of the x line is scored as an X. Use of a proper scoring plug helps make that determination. bob
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 AM
huffmanite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. Wasn't my intention to change any scores in the match held yesterday.....I let the scores stand as recorded by the scorer on the targets. Just wanted clarification about question I posed.

As to the targets we use in our 50 yd rimfire competition, they are I.B.S. 100 YD HUNTER Rifle TARGETS made by the National Target Co. May not be the correct target to use, but work OK for our simple needs.