Removing a tight barrel the easy way (big pics) - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz70 View Post
I've been trolling out here as a non member for a little while. I just had to join up after finding this post. I had to use this technique and it worked like a charm. Two turns of the C clamp and the barrle shot right out. Wonderful idea and thanks so much for sharing.
Don't just troll man jump right in...WELCOME!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Manlaan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool idea. Wish I had something like that a few months ago with my stuck barrel. I was thinking of something similar at the time, but using a hammer instead of a clamp. I think the clamp would end up working a lot better though.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well I have never had one stuck that hard, but if I ever do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Rusty Trigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll be DANGED.....!

I want to kick myself in the butt for not thinking up this idea myself... so simple, nicely illustrated, what an idea...... many will be thinking of you sometime in the future. This is the kind of stuff that is handy and usefull and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. I salute you and your ideas.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
The "Now why didn't I think of that!?" ideas are usually good ones. This is definitely one of those ideas, eh?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Rusty Trigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Whoa MoMMA....... That WORKS

Couldn't wait any longer, I had to try it with my stuck barrel. Jez, so simple, so easy, so detailed, works like a charm. I just built mine to push a barrel out I had been worrying about. I use a syringe with Marvel Mystery oil and a needle for cattle or hogs to lubricate and get to them hard to get at places places. I did this and used my syringe with penetrating oil while I looked for some square stock for my lever. Couldn't find anything wood on my property so I used a piece of aluminum square tubing wrapped in leather inside the receiver and on top the dow rod. After it broke loose it pushed right out......... NO PROBLEM. Thank You....... this is what makes RimFire Central such a great place. Everyone shares their "tips and tricks" and makes life easier for others. I tip my hat to you man....... Thanks........!

Last edited by Rusty Trigger; 11-26-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add wording
Old 11-29-2008, 07:39 AM
nrb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also do not forget your freezer

Matt that is a wonderful, helpful post that belongs in the records. Thank you!!!
Also folks do not forget your freezer.
I have changed many 10/22 barrels and have had problems with the tight ones.
The solution I have found always works is to put the stuck barreled receiver in my chest freezer overnight. In the morning, take it to your work bench and clamp the barrel with the receiver free. Most times as the receiver warms it will slip right off the barrel with minimal effort. If it is still tight, heat the receiver in warm water and it will expand and release the tight grip on the cold shrunken barrel.
Just remember the aluminum receiver will expand with heat more rapidly than the steel of the cold barrel. Simple physics.

Merry Christmas, nrb
Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 AM
NorthFork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Removing A Stuck Barrel

Matt,

Thanks for the great Post describing "How To" Remove a Stuck Barrel. The pictures are particularly appreciated. I think your suggestion should be placed as a "STICKY" because in the event that other methods fail, your detailed description and photographs will surely succeed in helping someone remove a stuck barrel.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
steve b.

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice work Matt.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM
aka108
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've removed a few by placing the barreled reciever in back of my knees, grasp the reciever in on hand, the barrel in the other hand and spread your knees apart. Way more power than just trying to pull apart with you hands alone.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Rusty Trigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb View Post
Matt that is a wonderful, helpful post that belongs in the records. Thank you!!!
Also folks do not forget your freezer.
I have changed many 10/22 barrels and have had problems with the tight ones.
The solution I have found always works is to put the stuck barreled receiver in my chest freezer overnight. In the morning, take it to your work bench and clamp the barrel with the receiver free. Most times as the receiver warms it will slip right off the barrel with minimal effort. If it is still tight, heat the receiver in warm water and it will expand and release the tight grip on the cold shrunken barrel.
Just remember the aluminum receiver will expand with heat more rapidly than the steel of the cold barrel. Simple physics.

Merry Christmas, nrb
Hey NRB have you or anyone ever tried this reversed ? I'm going to be putting a Volquartsen barrel on instead of taking it off. The beginning thread worked like a charm, then I read this. I'm thinking why can't I put the VQ THM barrel in the freeze overnight and do a quick assembly in the morning. Will that work. I'm reading all I can in installing the VQ barrels.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Is the barrel too tight to go in as is?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Rusty Trigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The first one was. It was a new barrel on a new receiver. Then I had a change of plans, used this setup described in this thread and the barrel slid out very nicely and it will be replace with Volquartsen Barrel (which has not arrived yet, so I don't know if the 2nd barrel will be tight) but the first one was. I was just trying to line up all my ducks in a row and know their names before the Volquartsen Barrel got here (worrying in advance, that's me)...... so the answer is yes the first VQ barrel was very tight and I don't know but assume this one will be too. I was just wondering about the freezer deal about reversing and maybe heating the receiver by laying it on top of coffee pot on in oven over LOW and getting them together without much problem...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Gymrat500

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bet the freezer trick might work. We used that a lot in the mill to get "tight parts" to fit. Also you can try warming your receiver up a bit in the oven while your barrel is in the freezer and it should slide right in. If that still doesn't work, maybe try a light dusting with some emery cloth and they repeat the above steps. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 AM
geminidglocker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
`

Most times, just using the 10/22's Bolt will remove a stuck barrel:

With the rifle UNLOADED, and the magazine REMOVED, pull the Bolt to the rear, and then allow it to slam forward; repeat as required until the barrel is loose......! !

`

BigMike
It has always worked for me.Good idea building that jig,I'm going to try that on my next barrel removal.Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by geminidglocker; 12-04-2008 at 04:17 AM.