Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Titan stock

I just received my second Titan 10/22 stock in the mail the other day. My first one was a perfect drop in solid fit with no adjustments needed. This one however is not the same story. I have a Ruger receiver with Kidd bolt and trigger, and a Fedderson 16 1/2" barrel. I dropped it in and tightened the action screw. I picked it up and the barreled action was literally flopping all over the place. I used the rear anchor per instructions until I had no more up and down movement. The problem is I still have a considerable amount of side to side movement. The instructions don't give an explanation on how to fix this and I am far from an expert when it comes to stocks. At this point there is so much movement the gun would be unshootable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I love the stock and would like to keep it if I can get it fixed.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:36 PM
PJD642
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I had the same experience - I've got two Titan stocks, one housing a Kidd receiver and barrel with rear anchor, and the second housing a Ruger receiver with a GM barrel threaded into the receiver by CPC.

The Kidd receiver fits like a (tight) glove, and once everything is hand tightened there is zero movement anywhere. The Ruger receiver, OTOH, moved side-to-side as well as teeter-tottered. The side-to-side was fixed with a few strips of aluminum tape along the sides of the receiver. The front-to-back was solved via a small piece of innertube about 3 inches in front of the receiver bolt, coupled with the adjustment screw in the anchor-filler piece.

The problem is the Ruger receivers, not the Titan stock. Try the aluminum tape method first. it's easy and can be removed if necessary, before you think about bedding or something more "drastic". I got a 60-foot roll on ebay for under $10.00.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Thank you! I will give it a try. I anticipated it being a problem when the receiver pretty much fell into the stock during installation.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:35 PM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have four Titan stocks and have never had that problem with either Ruger or Kidd receivers. The Kidd's do fit better because I like tight. Have you tried your Kidd in this stock?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a factory receiver in a Titan stock and it fits almost to tight. But I did have it cerakoted black before I got the stock so that might have made the receiver a little "fatter"
Old 02-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysue View Post
I have four Titan stocks and have never had that problem with either Ruger or Kidd receivers. The Kidd's do fit better because I like tight. Have you tried your Kidd in this stock?

I don't currently have a Kidd receiver, but my Ruger receiver is not tight at all. I think it might be teetering on the action screw plate.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a Titan stock and really wanted it to work I had a Kidd receiver" barreled action" and was having the same problems way too much movement. I ended up returning it gotta Magpul stock and the problem went away and have been happy ever since
Old 02-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
I ordered a Titan stock and really wanted it to work I had a Kidd receiver" barreled action" and was having the same problems way too much movement. I ended up returning it gotta Magpul stock and the problem went away and have been happy ever since

I thought about doing the same thing, but I REALLY like the Titan. I'm sure I can get it to work, like I said stocks are not my strong point. I did send a message to Victor, hopefully I'll hear back by tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
how are you getting ant movement if you used the front and rear anchors with the KIDD action?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Wow, that was fast. Michael Victor just contacted me and suggested that I try the VQ action screw. He said that they recommend it for the Titan because it is shorter than the Ruger screw, and that it seems my action may be teetering on it. It does seem to be where the problem is coming from. So I just ordered the VQ screw. Should have it in a couple days, really hope this works.

Last edited by Nick7274; 02-26-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
how are you getting ant movement if you used the front and rear anchors with the KIDD action?
I was quite surprised and disappointed as I love the Titans stock ,but even with the rear and bottom screw tighten down I was still getting movement that I thought was unacceptable not to mention the barrel was canted in the stock .For me it just didn't work out, but I will tell you when I talk to Michael Victor about it he was great and took it back without a problem. I really wish the stock had worked out . He provides good customer service

Last edited by supersharp; 02-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nick,
I was wondering if that was where your problem was. While you are waiting on the screw, try this. Put a layer of painters tape on the rear and front . Put some lip stick on the action area where the screw goes. Then press the action into the stock and hold it down by wrapping your hand around the barrel and stock. Lift it back up and see if you left any lipstick on the tape.

Also make sure that your action isn't getting held up by the v-block. Make sure that nothing is protruding on either side in that area.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysue View Post
Nick,
I was wondering if that was where your problem was. While you are waiting on the screw, try this. Put a layer of painters tape on the rear and front . Put some lip stick on the action area where the screw goes. Then press the action into the stock and hold it down by wrapping your hand around the barrel and stock. Lift it back up and see if you left any lipstick on the tape.

Also make sure that your action isn't getting held up by the v-block. Make sure that nothing is protruding on either side in that area.

I'm almost positive that is where it is coming from. If I hold the action in with my hand firmly without putting in the screw it doesn't wiggle around like it does with the screw in. I will try that though, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd forgotten about the VQ action screw. I ordered one from Victor Company when I order my stock because there was a post buried deep in the long Titan thread about needing the shorter screw. I never tried the factory action screw.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
So while I'm waiting for the VQ screw to arrive I decided to do a little tinkering. I tried the aluminum tape. Put it in the stock on both sides of the receiver. When I tried putting the receiver back in with the tape it was to tight and I couldn't get it in. Tried a couple other things that didn't work either. I ended up putting a small piece of duct tape on the right side of the receiver in the stock and installed the barreled action again. To my surprise that one little thin piece of tape pretty much eliminated all the movement I had been experiencing. Hard for me to believe that a 1 1/2" piece of duct tape solved the issue. I'm not sure how well this will work as a permanent fix, but it's working fine for now and at least I have narrowed down to where the problem is.