Last chance for 452 Varmint (22lr)... to buy, or not to buy, that is the question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 PM
CanuckShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Last chance for 452 Varmint (22lr)... to buy, or not to buy, that is the question

Probably one of the last chances I'll have to grab one brand new, and I can't decide! Gah!

Literally the ONLY thing holding me back is that barrel lug. I've read a number of accounts of people struggling with inconsistent accuracy/stringing etc with the lug, lots of tweaking, and for some removing the lug and bedding was the only solution. Then I hear other people say out of the box it was their most accurate CZ. If there were two action screws like the 452 American, I'd be sold on it. I flat out do not want to have to bed the rifle, as I do not have the know how or faith in myself to do it properly, and to my knowledge no one even remotely close to me does either. I also do not want to remove the lug and leave just one action screw. If the 455 didn't have it's own idiosyncrasies it would be an easy choice, but the barrel swapping system introduces it's own set of variables that may be comparable or even more notable than the lug on the 452. Plus the 452 is touted as balanced better with the tapered barrel.

Can anybody offer their experience with the 452 Varmint in 22lr? I know there's no definitive empirical evidence, it's anecdotal, but how does the accuracy of your unbedded lug-equipped Varmint, compare to your other CZ 452's in 22lr?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Hoping for replies that will either sell me on it, or scare me off it.

Thanks!

Last edited by CanuckShooter; 02-21-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 452 varmint and the barrel floats and there is no lug. You are thinking of the Lux's and Trainers. There is now nothing to hold you back

My Varmint is a 22mag and came with a test target showing a 1/2" group at 50 meters which is 0.45moa and I have no problem grouping 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards. I only had a couple brief range session before winter. I got a 3/8 group at 50 yards with the last five rounds in an odd box. I forget the load. I made a note to buy more of that. The rifle is out standing with a variety of ammo.

My only disappointment is the 452 varmint does not have the polish and gloss blue of the 452/453 American. I got lucky on the stock. That balances things out in my eyes.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Aksarben73

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
22lr different animal

The Cz 452 varmint in .22lr has the barrel lug. The Cz 452 .17 hmr and 22 WMR do not. That is my recollection. Can't comment on the accuracy issues in .22lr. Mine is a .17 Hmr , so no lug.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 PM
CanuckShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the reply fourbore. I wish that was true lol but the 452 Varmint in 22lr does in fact use a barrel lug. The 452 Varmint chambered in the magnum rimfires doesn't use the same setup, and as you noticed, uses two action screws. I don't think anyone has figured out why this is.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I have a 452 varmint and the barrel floats and there is no lug. You are thinking of the Lux's and Trainers. There is now nothing to hold you back

My Varmint is a 22mag and came with a test target showing a 1/2" group at 50 meters which is 0.45moa and I have no problem grouping 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards. I only had a couple brief range session before winter. I got a 3/8 group at 50 yards with the last five rounds in an odd box. I forget the load. I made a note to buy more of that. The rifle is out standing with a variety of ammo.

My only disappointment is the 452 varmint does not have the polish and gloss blue of the 452/453 American. I got lucky on the stock. That balances things out in my eyes.

my 452 Varmint in 22mag also.

Signalman
Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
The barrel lug does not affect accuracy in my house. My Varmint and trainers are the most accurate CZ's I currently own.

Get the varmint and give it a try. If you don't like it, send it down the road. It would be better to try and decide than to live without and regret.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:23 PM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 452 Varmint in HMR and WMR have no barrel lug, the 22 LR does.

Regardless, I say get it. If you don't want it later on you can always send it down the line.

JMK

Edit: Wow am I slow! Sorry about the duplicate response...

Last edited by JMK; 02-21-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:01 PM
mod29

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 452 Varmint chambered for .22LR.
It's at least as accurate as my 452 American.

I really like the Varmint model. I do a lot of bench shooting, and it's perfect for that.

Buy one already!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 AM
squirrelsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm one of the people who had an issue with the barrel lug. Group size wasn't the issue, an inconsistent POI was, as POI shifted depending on forearm pressure. I removed the barrel lug and floated the barrel to fix the issue. Yes, it does just have one action screw now, but so do 10/22s. I still own the rifle, and that should say something, as I refuse to keep inaccurate rifles.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few really accurate 22LR rimfire rifles: Kimber CMP 82G, Volquartsonized bull barreled 10/22, and an Anschutz Silhouette (Model 64 action with two stage trigger...bottom of their line at the time).

The Anschutz is the king of accuracy for me but the others are not far behind. My CZ varmint is in 17HM2 and its accuracy is close but behind the Volquartsonized 10/22. I often have wondered if the 22LR CZ 452 version with a much bigger choice of ammo might be more accurate. For me the 17HM2 cartridge has been a disappointment. I should have gone for the 22LR version. At his point with the Kimber and the Anschutz, another 22 rifle made for better accuracy is not in the plan.

We also have a CZ Scout we tried to use in JR NRA but the peep sight retrofit was alway a problem (Williams rear sight kept moving on the mount). When JR NRA was over for the grandson, I stuck a scope on it. But he had moved on to semi-auto rifles by then. I have not really wrung it out for accuracy with the scope as the stock, of course, is made for a kid, not a big adult like me...One day I may do more with it if the grandson wants a bolt 22 gun in the future. His last JR NRA gun was a Savage made for JR NRA competition which we donated back to the gun club for JR NRA competition. It worked great for that.

LDBennett
Old 02-22-2017, 04:03 AM
fabpeter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In the majority of cases, that I am aware of, the barrel lug is not detrimental to accuracy.

Since buying my 452 American in 2010, I have read many posts seeking to establish the most accurate models in the 452 range and the consensus seems to be, at least from my experience, that they all tend to be as accurate as each other. My decision to go for the American was simply down to what felt right to me.

For a while I used a 22lr Varmint for BR shooting. Apart from a light trigger, which would not have been suitable for a "carry" rifle, the Varmint was standard spec. I considered it to be, at least, equal in accuracy to my Annie Match 64..........my experience may or may not be typical, but....who knows??

The simple question that you need to ask yourself is, "Do I want this rifle?"
If your answer is that you dont want it, well........there you go, move on.
If you do want it, buy it, the majority on here will probably say that you will not regret it.

Peter.

Last edited by fabpeter; 02-22-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
452 Varmint

I have 452s in Full Stock, Trainer, American & Varmint models. I my experience the Varmint proved to be the hardest to shoot well. I wound up bedding it and backing off the lug pressure to a minimum. Still haven't traded it off as it is "minute of squirrel".
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 AM
oleshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a 452 varmint in 22 lr, it and my 452 fs in 22 lr are the most accurate out of the box rifles that I own. Would not part with either of them.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Thanks for the reply fourbore. I wish that was true lol but the 452 Varmint in 22lr does in fact use a barrel lug. The 452 Varmint chambered in the magnum rimfires doesn't use the same setup, and as you noticed, uses two action screws. I don't think anyone has figured out why this is.
Opps, my mistake - again ....
Old 02-22-2017, 04:49 PM
debass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took the lug and welded it on the back of the receiver, then drilled a new hole in the stock. Seemed to help with accuracy issues.