10/22 Magnum recoil spring - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Aaron22mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Magnum recoil spring

Is there anyway for me to replace the 10/22 Magnum recoil spring? I bought one from Wolff spring, however, I can't get the factory handle off the guide rod to replace the spring. Is there another way to add spring tension? Having ejection problems. Yes, the extractor/ejector are fine. The rifle is from 1999 and pretty sure it needs replaced. It's easier to work the bolt on my 10/22M than my 10/22....
Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
what do you mean you can't get the charging handle off of the guide rod?

you did file down the two little nubs that hold the handle onto the rod...didn't you?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Aaron22mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure didn't! That is why I joined this forum! That is what I was going to attempt, but wanted to know if anyone had actually done it or had any other way. Thanks for the insight....

Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron22mag View Post
I sure didn't! That is why I joined this forum! That is what I was going to attempt, but wanted to know if anyone had actually done it or had any other way. Thanks for the insight....
I use a small pair of needle nose vise grips with tape covered jaws to clamp onto the rod after I push the handle down a bit, then just file slowly 'till the handle will just come off the rod, after you get the spring swapped, use a punch to displace a bit of metal (in the same areas that you had to file away) to keep the handle in place on the rod...and remember this is a spring under compression, so be careful
Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Aaron22mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the info, you just made my day a lot easier!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Just to add to crackedcornish's directions:

There should be a little barrel shaped spacer between the spring and the charge handle. If you're not aware of it it will launch itself into the farthest and darkest corner of the room and hide.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:25 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyendor View Post
Just to add to crackedcornish's directions:

There should be a little barrel shaped spacer between the spring and the charge handle. If you're not aware of it it will launch itself into the farthest and darkest corner of the room and hide.
All good info so far but, things as small as that little barrel washer don't hide when launched! I am convinced they disappear before touchdown.
chris
Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCchris View Post
All good info so far but, things as small as that little barrel washer don't hide when launched! I am convinced they disappear before touchdown.
chris
You are probably right. I never found one I launched about 8 years ago. It can happen during reassembly, too. The only place I haven't looked is on the blades of the ceiling fan.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:30 AM
critterman

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Cool Flying parts

I'm convinced there is a black hole full of parts in my shop, they make a lite noise when they hit the wall them poof there gone into the black hole forever.

Last edited by critterman; 02-16-2017 at 08:57 PM.