Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can CCI QUIET .22lr be used humanly on small game

Hey guys I already look this up on google but noticed to many different answers . What I need to know is can I use CCI quiet .22 lr ammo on small game ( prairie Dogs , squirl , rabbit etc ..) humanly and if so from how far away . Reason I ask is I have a few problems with pest and sometimes see tasty critters around the house now I already got the info and its legal to shoot here but neighbors are still close and dislike hunting . This would just be a way of being discreet and keeping the peace .

Last edited by Shooter011; 01-08-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 PM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would look at it this way. Ask yourself if you would make that shot with a .22 pellet rifle. A .22 pellet will kill squirrels, rabbits, and similar game. The .22lr CCI Quiet will hit alot harder than most .22 pellets under 1000fps. My opinion on kill range would be more to the point of accuracy. How well can you make the proper shot. Perhaps limit your shots to under 50 yards. That bullet is going to be dropping a good bit after that range.

Just my opinion. There will be other.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best head shot I've had so far is is with my .22 mag and and 4 16 x40 scope a prairie dog at about 150 yards , might of just been dum luck but was still very proud considering I've only been shooting and hunting almost 2 years now . I haven't had the chance to take any small game with my 597 and 2.5 10 x 42 varmint scope yet but high velocity on paper suggest I can probably take a squirl's head a 50 yards haven't try the CCI quiets yet . On a second note I know prairie dogs are very tuff little guys and was wondering if the CCI quiets would hit hard enough the take it down humanly ?

Last edited by Shooter011; 01-08-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 09:22 PM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure you can make the shot. You will be limited to the rounds capabilities.
Putting it on paper at 15 yards, then 25 followed by 35 then 50 yards. CCI states that the Quiet ammo is zeroed at 50 yards when 1.5 inches high at 25. Trial and error.
Have fun.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Walterkilo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have heard of humanly taking a large beaver with a .22 lr remington silent bullet headshot. Was told distance was something like 20 yards...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Kestrel4k
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Last fall I shot a number of grouse with CCI Quiets and found that the Quiet-HP was condiderably more effective than the standard solids - which were marginal at best. Even though the Quiet-HP's are pretty spendy compared to the RN solids, IME they are the absolute minimum for small game.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought of getting the quiet hp but could only find the regular quiets ,ammo here in Canada is even harder to find then in the USA . We typically get what's left after American orders are filled so I shoot what I can get and if I can get something I like I buy has much has they let me Or budget will alloy and I'm no where near hoarding ammo cause I shoot a lot lately . A few months ago wasent so bad for some reason but before that you were lucky to find anything atleast in my region and now it starting to get hard to find again but enough of that there are already plenty of treads on .22 ammo shortage .

Last edited by Shooter011; 01-08-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Error
Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
About an inch and a half above and directly between the eyes will drop a fox. They gently lay down and close their eyes.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
I thought of getting the quiet hp but could only find the regular quiets ,ammo here in Canada is even harder to find then in the USA . We typically get what's left after American orders are filled so I shoot what I can get and if I can get something I like I buy has much has they let me Or budget will alloy and I'm no where near hoarding ammo cause I shoot a lot lately . A few months ago wasent so bad for some reason but before that you were lucky to find anything atleast in my region and now it starting to get hard to find again but enough of that there are already plenty of treads on .22 ammo shortage .
All I could find a couple weeks ago was the rn Quiet for pretty much the same scenario as you.
I took a bit off the nose with a file (couple 2 or 3 swipes) to make a flat spot to keep the drill bit from slipping sideways from the little starter hole with a punch, Sharp nail works. Drill the hole a 1/4" deep or so while holding the bullet to keep it from spinning in the case. Next 1/4 the bullet into 4ths with a razor blade and viola, segmented Quiet. My fingers wiped off the bullet lube so I re-lubed with SnoSeal which has bees wax in it and it works fine.
Last couple years I've taken 5 gray fox between 10-11 #(approx 5 kilo) with Eley hp subs broadside into the lungs @ 16yds and one flipped about 7', otherwise DRT. Mine let out one little squawk and down.
From my testing with the Quiet segment it should pass thru the fox if I don't clip a leg bone but it still may. Kinda ugly bullet but work great.
We only have 2" of snow @ 35 on the south shore of L Superior so they aren't hitting the bait much but know where it is and will be back when the 10 F arctic front hits Sat nite and 1/2' snow Sun.
Good luck whatever you do.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great idea thx , does this affect the bullets accuracy ? I won't be shooting any fox's , illegal here , can only trap them but gonna be great on the other small game animals . I've seen this done in old western movies didn't think it actually worked I thought it was all for show .

Last edited by Shooter011; 01-08-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:10 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
One round of Quiet drilled thru an armadillo at about 10 paces.

Keep it within the appropriate range and it will do the job.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 AM
pwrdbytrd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Inside 15 yards rabbits and squirrels have been no issue.

Sent from my GS6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
Great idea thx , does this affect the bullets accuracy ? I won't be shooting any fox's , illegal here , can only trap them but gonna be great on the other small game animals . I've seen this done in old western movies didn't think it actually worked I thought it was all for show .
I think the accuracy would be better by slicing factory hp where the hp would be 'consistently' in the center of the round. Slicing itself less a factor but thats a guess as this is my first stab at home grown segmented rounds and the only testing done at 11 yd the basement for bullet performance which I was happy with. Accuracy was 1/4"ctc @ 11 yd. Stellar accuracy wasn't my goal and minute of fox boiler room at <20yd acceptable.

segmented round entrance on the right, bullet pieces left
Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 AM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a teenager, I hunted many many rabbits with my Marlin 60 .22 rifle using shorts that had the same velocity as the CCI quiets, appx 700 fps. Between 20-40 yards they all went down humanely and I never had one run off or suffer. I would stay under 50 yards if it is a softer target like a rabbit or a squirrel. With tougher critters like prairie dogs, I would most likely not use such a round unless I could get a good head shot at no more than 30 yards. I may be conservative on this but I prefer to err on the side of caution. I remember cross hatching my round nose bulets for hunting as Al l shows in his picture, but I never thought to cut the tip off. They still seemed to open up nicely if I remember correctly.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll try to get a couple more boxes and take it down to the gravel pit to see how straight it fly's on paper . I got a bunch different of .22 lr ammo here and I'd like to check out what kind of damage they all do . Does anybody know how to make a descent home made ballistics gel ? I try'd a recipe I found online last summer but didn't turn out so great .