GunnerBedding; Devcon Plastic steel putty, 10110 - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0par View Post
Lots of nice work shown in this thread.

Regarding the needles for application, has anyone had luck using plastic hubbed needles, or do the Luer-Lok tabs shear off under the pressure, especially if used with the caulking gun?

Thanks-
I've never tried plastic hub needles for bedding, mainly because I've never seen them large enough to pass the Devcon through. I suppose the plastic tapered ones for irrigation would work if you cut the tip off to create a large enough opening.

That said, 14 gauge veterinary needles are what I use and they're dirt cheap, as in $2.10 for a dozen 1.5" long, all stainless:

http://www.enasco.com/product/C33154N

I grind off the beveled tip and debur the barrels:

DrGunner
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM
m0par
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Thanks-
I've never tried plastic hub needles for bedding, mainly because I've never seen them large enough to pass the Devcon through. I suppose the plastic tapered ones for irrigation would work if you cut the tip off to create a large enough opening.

That said, 14 gauge veterinary needles are what I use and they're dirt cheap, as in $2.10 for a dozen 1.5" long, all stainless:

http://www.enasco.com/product/C33154N
The plastic hub needles I was considering are actually "dispensing needles" usually used in manufacturing rather than medicine, but they use the same Luer-Lok. I can only get up to 16ga metal hubbed needles locally.

Honestly, I just feel kinda silly placing an online order for $2.10. They don't carry the right syringes, but looking at all of the stuff they do sell, I'm sure I can find something to pad the order.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0par View Post
The plastic hub needles I was considering are actually "dispensing needles" usually used in manufacturing rather than medicine, but they use the same Luer-Lok. I can only get up to 16ga metal hubbed needles locally.

Honestly, I just feel kinda silly placing an online order for $2.10. They don't carry the right syringes, but looking at all of the stuff they do sell, I'm sure I can find something to pad the order.
Sounds like the plastic ones might work fine, the Luer Lok system is pretty tough.

Got a pic of the needles?
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 AM
m0par
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Got a pic of the needles?
Here's one example:
http://www.cmlsupply.com/needles-stainless/

Ha, in looking for an online picture, a lot of the results were to vaping shops. Apparently they're used for filling or refilling e-cigs or something. 14ga, 1-1/2 to 2" sizes were common too. It seems like you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting another new vaping shop. So there may be another possible local source for some people if they're looking just to buy one or two. The links I checked out were all for needles with the plastic hubs though.

I might have to give the plastic ones a go just to see if I end up shooting a devcon-filled needle across the room.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I actually found some at a local Tractor Supply store.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM
BMP
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Nice work Dr. G!

Brad