GunnerBedding; Devcon Plastic steel putty, 10110 - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Yuthunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hey Doc, very nice sticky. I have been browsing this site for awhile and never made an account until now. I had a rear tang installed on my factory reciever. I and fixing the inletting a gunsmith did for me. I had to redo it from the start, even pulling out the escutcheon. I have some basic questions...

1. When inletting the depth, do you desire it to be about 1/8" deeper just so the bedding is thicker underneath the tang?

2. When you say free floating provide the best accuracy with the rear anchor, do you mean completely absent a barrel pad?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuthunter View Post
Hey Doc, very nice sticky. I have been browsing this site for awhile and never made an account until now. I had a rear tang installed on my factory reciever. I and fixing the inletting a gunsmith did for me. I had to redo it from the start, even pulling out the escutcheon. I have some basic questions...

1. When inletting the depth, do you desire it to be about 1/8" deeper just so the bedding is thicker underneath the tang?

Thanks
Yes, I prefer to have inletting 1/8" wider around the sides and underneath the escutcheon. When you bed the rear tang, inlet a cylindrical hole wider and deeper than the rear tang escutcheon and 1/8" deeper than the tang. The receiver should be level on the rails in the stock and front pillar, with tape wrapped around the barrel to set the height of the barrel in the channel.
First, apply release agent to the tang and screw but NOT the escutcheon. Then tighten the escutcheon up snug against the underside of the tang. Apply mud to the tang, escutcheon, and receiver rear surface. Also apply a layer to all bedding areas in the stock.

These stickies may be helpful:

Tacsol Vantage:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=477781

Raptor Pillar and Rear Tang:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=489351

And this thread:

Fat Boy:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=527301

Quote:
2. When you say free floating provide the best accuracy with the rear anchor, do you mean completely absent a barrel pad?
Yes, NO contact between the stock and barrel. Zero, Zip, Nada- for bull barrels.
Varmint and Heavy Taper barrels may or may not shoot better with a pressure pad.
Sporter barrels, IME, invariably shoot best with a pressure pad, and finding the right size, density and location of said pad is always a process of much experimentation. 1/3 the distance from the receiver to the foreend of the stock is a good place to start and often is *the* sweet spot.

Hope this helps-

Oh, and Hey, a NEW GUY... WELCOME to RFC!!!!!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 01-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Yuthunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks,

One more question...
What did you use to drill the anchor holes in the sides of the inletting?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuthunter View Post
Thanks,

One more question...
What did you use to drill the anchor holes in the sides of the inletting?
A Dremel with a cable drive extension hand piece and 1/8" drill bit.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 PM
haliwa04

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If this is the wrong area to ask, smack me please, then kindly shove me into the correct area.
I'm working on bedding my 10/22 with a raveneye pillar, and the rest of the tuner kit. I have the pillar set in devcon already. I'm getting ready to do the rest. But, I was wondering what to do about a couple areas on the recoil lug/v-block.

The little indention pointed out by the finger, should this be filled with clay or putty, or taped over? Or just leave it open. Also, the v-block screws. I'm going to apply a few coats of neutral shoe polish, drying between each. I really don't want to have a permanently stocked rifle on my hands, so I figured I'd stop and ask. Thanks

Sent from somewhere that I might or might not currently be, it's up to you to make that determination.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I fill the Vblock screws with plumbers putty.

Check out page 2-3 of this thread:

DrGunner
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM
haliwa04

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I fill the Vblock screws with plumbers putty.

Check out page 2-3 of this thread:

DrGunner
Gracias oh wise and might Doc. I don't know how I missed that part. I was actually flipping through that thread earlier today while studying up.

Sent from somewhere that I might or might not currently be, it's up to you to make that determination.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You can go view the entire bedding sticky for the rifle shown here using this link:

CZ 452 Varmint

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=553469

CZ 452 Varmint. Needs a little modifying of the bedding compound to fit the trigger and magwell, but I'm VERY pleased with the result.

After trimming the Devcon:

More close ups:

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 01-24-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
CZ 452 Silhouette:

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Forgot to post these- ended up going back and reinstalling the barrel lug and bedding the barrel channel.

*Not a 10-22*

But posted here for relevance:

YET ANOTHER SPORTER BARREL that did NOT LIKE BEING FREE FLOATED!!!

DrGunner
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 AM
ProfessorSparky
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Silhouette Question

Is the Silhouette yours or a client's? I did not see any barrel-channel work on it.

I have a 452 Style (22 LR). The barrel channel on the stock was not straight and put some side pressure on the barrel. A friend of mine has the same issue.

Thus far, I have only floated the barrel from 3/4" in front of the barrel lug seating area to the end. It shoots fairly accurately in that state.

Average 5 shot group:
Shooting from a bench using a bi-pod, my average of 5 consecutive five-shot groups, shot at 100 yards gives me 1.44" average. I threw out the a 6th due to a flier. The target I was using was the old green "RF 10 shot (plus 2 sighters)."

I was merely wondering if you are shooting the Silhouette you bedded and could share what kind of groups it is getting. Or, if it belongs to someone else who could share if was getting better groups after you bedding job and what they were.

I do shoot my Style every month at 50 to 200 yard silhouettes and it allows me score well enough in our monthly shoot. I might like to bed it some time and wonder what improvement bedding that stock may bring. That, or I may get another stock for it since it is a RH and I am LH. I use a cheek weld pad to make it work.

http://www.pscnet.net/gallery/index....up---July-2013

Last edited by ProfessorSparky; 01-24-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSparky View Post
Is the Silhouette yours or a client's? I did not see any barrel-channel work on it.

I have a 452 Style (22 LR). The barrel channel on the stock was not straight and put some side pressure on the barrel. A friend of mine has the same issue.

Thus far, I have only floated the barrel from 3/4" in front of the barrel lug seating area to the end. It shoots fairly accurately in that state.

Average 5 shot group:
Shooting from a bench using a bi-pod, my average of 5 consecutive five-shot groups, shot at 100 yards gives me 1.44" average. I threw out the a 6th due to a flier. The target I was using was the old green "RF 10 shot (plus 2 sighters)."

I was merely wondering if you are shooting the Silhouette you bedded and could share what kind of groups it is getting. Or, if it belongs to someone else who could share if was getting better groups after you bedding job and what they were.

I do shoot my Style every month at 50 to 200 yard silhouettes and it allows me score well enough in our monthly shoot. I might like to bed it some time and wonder what improvement bedding that stock may bring. That, or I may get another stock for it since it is a RH and I am LH. I use a cheek weld pad to make it work.

http://www.pscnet.net/gallery/index....up---July-2013

Hello- the Silhouette is mine. I'm a hobby shooter and love to tinker with my own rifles and those of my friends and family.

You can view the entire bedding process in a sticky in the CZ forum:

CZ 452 Silhouette:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=553471

Mine did have some issues with left side barrel channel contact, which from what I've read here on RFC and elsewhere can be a common problem, not just on the synthetic stocks but many CZ models. On mine, the barrel channel was true, but the action had a tendency to rest with the barrel off to the left side of the channel.
I solved that problem with the bedding process. First off, the pillars were set just high enough to elevate the action slightly and float the barrel above the channel. Second, I made my own 6mm set screw to lock the barrel lug in a centered position before bedding the barrel channel. I took a 6mm Allen socket set screw and ground it down to a low profile. This allowed me to lock the barrel lug down and still leave plenty of room for the barrel lug screw to purchase into the lug. Doing so required machining a custom front pillar/escutcheon to give the proper height to float the barrel. Because the action and barrel are lifted slightly, centering becomes easier and the resultant layer of bedding compound is thicker and more robust.

Regarding accuracy: I bought this rifle for shooting NRA Smallbore Silhouette, and around the same time bought a 452 Varmint that I'd been wanting for some time.
This rifle holds MOA to 100, but not with the consistency of my Varmint across a broader range of ammo and conditions. I'd have to do some digging to find targets at 60, 77 and 100m. I do know I shot a card around .8" at 100 yards (Four 5 shot group average) with the Silhouette after bedding. That was more of a cherry picked example as this one averages closer to 1.25". The Varmint consistently puts up groups under 1" at 100, so I'm in the process of having a custom stock made for it to get it under 8.5# for Hunter class. The Silhouette is doing fine, and DEFINITELY shoots better after bedding. My reasons for committing to the Varmint as my competition rifle have to do with its weight and inherent accuracy.
I much prefer the weight and nose heavy balance of the Varmint, and the one I got is THE SINGLE MOST ACCURATE FACTORY RIFLE I'VE EVER OWNED.
I'm hanging on to the 452 SIL as a backup rifle and then as a starter for one of my kids when they're old enough to shoot silhouette. You can see the bedding sticky on my 452 Varmint using this link:

CZ 452 Varmint

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=553469

Here's a couple pics of typical 40 meter groups from my 452 Silhouette, shooting Wolf MT from a bipod. These are in the ballpark of .25-.3" at 40m/44 yards, which is within the "Minute of Critter" desirable for Silhouette. I subsequently found that this particular rifle performs much better using a sandbag or front rest close to the action. Flex in the stock makes shooting from a bipod VERY inconsistent.

Hope this helps- DrGunner
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ProfessorSparky- I'm in the process of having a custom pillar bedded silhouette stock made for my 452 Varmint. It's being done by Wayne Merier, a gunsmith in Ga whom I found on SteelChickens.com. He sends clients a "fitting stock" which allows you to set the LOP and position of the action in the stock to get trigger position to pistol grip just right. The stock is VERY similar to a Pharr stock, with a nice Palm swell, high comb, and is modified (Improved, IMO) with a flat bottom foreend. The stock comes pillar bedded using custom pillars that Wayne machines out of 3/4" 6061 aluminum Rod stock. It is available in Right and Left hand models. Total price is a very affordable $350.

Here is his "fitting stock":

One of Wayne's CZ 452 stocks, finished in Hydro Dip:

If you think you might be interested, shoot me a PM for Wayne's contact info.

I just finished setting up the fitting stock and will be shipping it and my barreled action back to Wayne. I will be posting a full thread on that rifle build in the CZ and/or Stockmaking/finishing forum when I get it finished so look for that one in the months to come...

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM
ProfessorSparky
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

DR. G,

The best cherry picked 5 shot group I ran with my Style at 100yds was a verticle string that ran 0.64" . As much as I tried, I could never beat it. It makes me wonder if it was just kind of **** luck that they landed as close as they did. I use Lapua Center X in my Style. I have been shooting my RH Style for a little over a year and a half now.

Now that I have been shooting a LH 452, I'm kind of thinking I may build a RH action with LH stock. I found I really am spoiled by being able to maintain my grip with my trigger hand while cycling the bolt and inserting a round with my support hand. I use a single shot adapter magazine. I have a couple projects in the works to get through before I put something together in that configuration, but maybe I would contact Wayne for that stock.

I have a 452 American Kilwell edition with a shorter, threaded barrel. It came with a sweet proofing target group, and it has pretty nice furniture too. I started collecting items for that build and installed a few aftermarket items when a LH 452 American became available. The scope ended up going on the LH rifle which shows promise.

Funny, both 452s I have built were originally leaning to the left side of the barrel channel. My lefty American had an issue with the barrel touching the left side of the channel. It was much more evident when I started opening up the channel. I believe part of it was the action screws, as you mentioned. Just this mornign I applied sealer to the freshly widened channel.

I need to get more trigger time to figure out the next step to take. I lightened the trigger pull. It came with so little creep that I am not sure it would need more than .003" of feeler gage to take all the creep out. Add LocTite and there would not be much room for the shims.

Regarding your sand bag vs bipod statement: I found that I get a bench-induced-bounce with the bipod on the table. During competition, I shoot prone on a mat, with a bipod. The mat removes all the bounce. I think I might get a piece of foam and put it on the bench under my bipod and see if it improves my group. My American almost seems too light for the bench but just right for the mat, prone.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 PM
m0par
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lots of nice work shown in this thread.

Regarding the needles for application, has anyone had luck using plastic hubbed needles, or do the Luer-Lok tabs shear off under the pressure, especially if used with the caulking gun?