Woodchuck hunting with .22lr - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Seeing there are fellow 640K admirers on this thread, here's a pic of my groundhog kit, with my heavily messaged Mossberg 640K .22WMR, Ruger Single Six with .22LR cylinder - so much quieter than the WMRs, a Sig Range Finder, a whistle, small backpack with cold water & snacks. If I see 'em off in the distance, stalk 'em 'till in within 120 Yards or closer for the 640K. If I don't see any for a while, I'll slow walk the parameter and keep an eye out for any movement in the fields and scan the wood line looking for active mounds. Just great fun getting outdoors when the weather is pleasant.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-03-2019, 08:38 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We buried a bunch of chucks with power points, out of a 39a. We seemed to always be able to wait them out and get shots that were around 50yds.
Power Points would anchor them pretty well.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bradical, more pictures of your Mossberg 640K, please. You are taking me back to my teenage years....I had many great times/memories with mine. Good sense to limit your longest shots to around 125 yards, as the .22WMR is roughly the same energy level @ 90-100 yards as a standard velocity .22LR is at the muzzle.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 03-03-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
Bradical, more pictures of your Mossberg 640K, please. You are taking me back to my teenage years....I had many great times/memories with mine. Good sense to limit your longest shots to around 125 yards, as the .22WMR is roughly the same energy level @ 90-100 yards as a standard velocity .22LR is at the muzzle.
Yup. Plus, the cone of fire really starts to open up beyond 100 yards for putting rounds consistently into an 1.5" area. Steve makes a good observation and is on topic for the OP. I also have .22lr rifles that are just as, or more consistently, accurate as the WMR out to 100 yards. But, the .22lr will lose half or more of its energy over that 100 yard distance. The .22lr really isn't best suited to take on the tough-as-nails groundhog beyond 50 yards.

My range limit with my Ruger Single Six is 25 yards. Without hearing protection, I prefer standard velocity .22lr rounds. If I'm using CCI MAXI-MAGS (a great hunting .22lr round btw) I always regret not putting in plugs. The .22WMR out of that 6" barrel, forget about it.

SN, I have a bunch posted in the Mossberg forum about this rifle. My 640K is one Mossberg made and branded for Montgomery Ward back in the day. I saved it from a $50 rack of junkers a shop had set up when they were clearing out their ancient storage. Since I had so little invested in it, the rifle became my "apprentice" refinishing an tinkering rifle. over the years, I've come to really appreciate the 640K and glad my "apprenticing" didn't Bubba it up - thanks to the sage advice received by RFCers. It came with a unique impressed checking pattern which I re-checked - you can check it out here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=941673
Old 03-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bradical, great looking improvement on the checkering and Tru Oil finish! My own 640K was a later model that also had impressed checkering, but with the Mossberg factory pattern that had a plain oval circle inside the outline pattern. Also factory white line spacers on the grip cap and butt plate. I once killed a crow past 150 yards with mine field shooting off of a fencepost, which was 100% luck on my part and a favorable guess on "Kentucky windage"" as far as elevation hold over. Later on, practicing off a shooting bench with front and rear bags, I could connect about 70% of the time on used motor oil cans, at 200 yards, using the Weaver C6 fixed 6 power scope mounted on it. A great often overlooked .22 Mag that is a true sleeper.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 03-05-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bradical, great looking improvement on the checkering and Tru Oil finish! My own 640K was a later model that also had impressed checkering, but with the Mossberg factory pattern that had a plain oval circle inside the outline pattern. Also factory white line spacers on the grip cap and butt plate. I once killed a crow past 150 yards with mine field shooting off of a fencepost, which was 100% luck on my part and a favorable guess on "Kentucky windage"" as far as elevation hold over. Later on, practicing off a shooting bench with front and rear bags, I could connect about 70% of the time on used motor oil cans, at 200 yards, using the Weaver C6 fixed 6 power scope mounted on it. A great often overlooked .22 Mag that is a true sleeper.
Thanks and love the long shot that connected story. Every rifle has that once in a life time unbelievable shot story. It's just that 640K owners have several Here's one of mine with the best witness a guy could ever hope for: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=588448
Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Mossberg 640K story and pictures, Bradical! Your son will never forget that shot in his lifetime. BTW, if the groundhog had actually been 200yards away, you would have been waaay short, using that elevation hold. Because of the long barrel on the 640K, it delivers good velocity from the .22WMR. But still drops almost a foot at 200 yards, with a 100 yard zero....that is with standard Winchester 40grain JHP bullets. Remember, by 100 yards the velocity has dropped down to close to a regular .22LR. The newer, higher velocity ammo with plastic tips and lighter weight projectiles, will do better. The super high velocity .22 WMR ammo was not as accurate in my 640K. Back to the OP, .22 WMR is much preferable to a .22LR, because of flatter trajectory, more kinetic energy, and better results with a less than perfect shot....in other words, greater margin for error, in either shot placement or range estimation. If appropriate for the terrain, neighbors, or decibel tolerance, a CF varmint caliber is even better still, IMHO.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Great Mossberg 640K story and pictures, Bradical! Your son will never forget that shot in his lifetime. BTW, if the groundhog had actually been 200yards away, you would have been waaay short, using that elevation hold. ...
No doubt about it. I figured that out later. Multiple miscalculations somehow added up to the right solution at that moment. A 1/1,000,000 dumb luck shot.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:18 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
22lr is lethal to 440+ yards as per the way the military defines it, going thru a 1/2" pine board. For a clean kill you have to hit the kill zone. My uncle owned cattle & a butcher shop. He'd go out in his pasture roll down the the window ask me which one & 1 shot from a nylon 66 would kill & put a 1000# cow instantly. Same with hogs just behind the ear & they fall down kicking but basiclly dead but you cut the throat so they bleed out. I've always been told & read more people have been killed with 22s except counting wartime. At 300 yards a 22 only loses about 1/2 it's power.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:51 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flylo, you are correct that a .22LR will kill large animals (including men) if the bullet can be delivered exactly where it needs to be. Witnessed farm hogs and cattle dispatched on my grandfather's working farm with an ancient single shot Remington #6 rolling block using standard velocity .22LR at point blank range. Many poachers in central/west TN. use them and .22 Mag to illegally harvest deer. There was a printed warning on many boxes of .22LR that read "dangerous to a mile". Here are the actual numbers: 36 grain CCI Mini Mag .22LR has 127 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle (1260 fps. starting velocity), 80 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 61 ft. lbs. at 200 yards, and only 46 ft. lbs. at 300 yards, or roughly a third the energy it started with at the muzzle. In ethical shooting, even at pest animals, the variables of shooting position, environmental changes (wind, rain, temp), terrain and range estimation, the skill of the shooter, as well as the possible movement of the animal, don't guarantee that you can deliver the perfect, surgical shot. That is why, even though it is scientifically capable of killing woodchucks/groundhogs at longer distances, I don't recommend .22LR for them past 50 yards. .22 WMR is better, centerfire varmint calibers, better yet. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 03-08-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://imgur.com/gg7txrQ Warning: link is graphic. This is not a woodchuck, but an adult prairie dog (slightly larger than a 20 oz. soda bottle and around 5lbs., for size comparison) taken at 385 yards with a .22-250. It has enough retained energy at that distance to produce this result: no .22LR round, even hyper velocity, will do this at 20 yards. That's why I recommend centerfire varmint calibers, when appropriate.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 03-07-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:38 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
http://imgur.com/gg7txrQ Warning: link is graphic. This is not a woodchuck, but an adult prairie dog (slightly larger than a 20 oz. soda bottle and around 5lbs., for size comparison) taken at 385 yards with a .22-250. It has enough retained energy at that distance to produce this result: no .22LR round, even hyper velocity, will do this at 20 yards. That's why I recommend centerfire varmint calibers, when appropriate.
That one doesn't weigh 5# anymore.

Hunters/shooters have to know their own limitations with their weapon of choice vs the game being humanely taken, period.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 AM
flwing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can buy the Duke #160 Traps on Amazon - about $50 for 6:
https://www.amazon.com/Duke-Double-S...Z71D80F717F1Q9
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 AM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot placement..."that's my story, and I'm sticking to it" !

Actually, it takes more to perforate a half inch pine board, than it does to perforate a woodchuck's skull, and a .22 will do that at longer ranges than many suspect.

Now, I am not pretending to be a Olympic competitor, but the .22 LR will kill at far greater ranges than some think. The key obviously, is shot placement.. Take a look;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUM1r_444CY

Right now, I am working on a Savage Mark II FV SR..4X26 Bushnell with AO, hope to utilize it this season. (Later correction..4X16)
Yes, I could use my Magnum or center fire...but I like a challenge.

Last edited by ironglow; 05-22-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI now has a Segmented MiniMag HP available, and they shoot pretty good in most of my rifles. After killing some coons with the Subsonic version, I'm inclined to believe they'd do a good job with a decent hit. Coons are pretty danged tough, too, and generally the same size as a groundhog.
As with anything, you should strive to make a headshot, first, at least with a rimfire rifle.