Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Yeah, but I'd rather go in a flaming one-car wreck than go through the suffering lung cancer patients have to deal with. I figure if I play my cards right I'll have a sound body, if not a sound mind, when my time comes.
Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
here is a house I bought, that smokers lived in. I had to paint 3 coats of KilZ and 2 coats of paint on everything, after spending 3 days scrubbing the walls....not to mention all the carpet had to be replaced. just think what a smokers lungs look like....

look how nasty the ceiling was in the kitchen..

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My brother died of a massive corronary at the age of 38, smoker.
Mother died of cancer age age of 55, smoker.
Father died of cancer, smoker.
Several good friends never made 55, smokers.
Best friend died at the age of 52, after quitting for 6 yrs. I carried his ashes in the service.
I do not believe in fate and have been butt free since 2004 after 43 yrs. of stupid ingestion of toxic fumes.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage92 View Post
Wow they must have used every trick in the book to force the statistics to show that.
I'd love to chime in with you on this issue Savage but considering the depth and breadth of this campaign and the rabid enthusiasm of its participants, it's usless. The prohibition movement didn't have near the horsepower that this campaign has
Remember, this country began it's jouney to prosperity with the tobbacco industry. They tried corn but it didn't sell(they didn't have the right recipie).
The "second hand smoke" line of BS. was dissproved years ago and they keep hammering it.
My main argument is,now that smokeing has stopped for over half the smokers that used to be, Why hasn't the "tobbacco related" diseases decreased. And don't tell me they have unless you have some proof other than skewed statisics.
Cars in america put out more (real and deadly) poison than smokers, If you don't believe that then run a hose from your exaust to the passenger compartment, now that will shorten your life. What the he!!, none of us are gettn' out of this alive anyway !
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasm View Post
I'd love to chime in with you on this issue Savage but considering the depth and breadth of this campaign and the rabid enthusiasm of its participants, it's usless. The prohibition movement didn't have near the horsepower that this campaign has
Remember, this country began it's jouney to prosperity with the tobbacco industry. They tried corn but it didn't sell(they didn't have the right recipie).
The "second hand smoke" line of BS. was dissproved years ago and they keep hammering it.
My main argument is,now that smokeing has stopped for over half the smokers that used to be, Why hasn't the "tobbacco related" diseases decreased. And don't tell me they have unless you have some proof other than skewed statisics.
Cars in america put out more (real and deadly) poison than smokers, If you don't believe that then run a hose from your exaust to the passenger compartment, now that will shorten your life. What the he!!, none of us are gettn' out of this alive anyway !
We do not take our running cars intro restaurants or offices or homes. We run them outside. Sounds to me no matter what we give you as proof you will just say it is untrue anyway so why should we waste our time.

As for second hand smoke you are DEAD wrong. It makes ME sick. That statistic is 100%. I support your right to smoke 100% as long as it does not hurt others. When you are in a closed car or room you are hurting others.

Your rights end where mine begin and you have no right to produce deadly smoke that attacks my body. Take it outside, take it home, take it anywhere that you are not forcing your smoke on others and you and I have no argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
oscar

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I smoked what seems forever and used to defend it but was just addiction talking!!! In reality its no good for you period all of ya sayin otherwise are just under a spell.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Quote from Chromie
here is a house I bought, that smokers lived in. I had to paint 3 coats of KilZ and 2 coats of paint on everything, after spending 3 days scrubbing the walls....not to mention all the carpet had to be replaced. just think what a smokers lungs look like....

When I was in college (25+ yrs ago), I worked at a Veterinary Clinic where 75% of the employees chain smoked. We had the "plastic" coated sheetrock, similar to hospitals, on the walls of the clinic. Every few weeks, it was my job to wipe down the walls of the clinic. You could spray 409 on the walls and just watch the orange crap run down the walls. Not exactly what I wanted to coat my lungs with, but I was not given a choice (I guess quitting my job should be classified as a choice).

I am all for individual freedom, and making choices for YOURSELF. However, when you expose others that have very little power in that choice, then you cross the line. If you smoke around your kids, spouse, or even non-smoking strangers, then I think you are extremely selfish. You are only concerned with your own self-gratification, and not concerned about the well being of others. You have the right to coat your own lungs with crap, but you do not have the right to coat your kid's lungs, my kid's lungs, or even my lungs.

That being said, I believe that there has been a significant improvement in smokers being more considerate in the last 30 years. Part of the improvement has been in legislation, but much has been a change in attitude by smokers themselves. I find far fewer "rude smokers" now than I did 30 years ago.

Rant over.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Back in the late 30's my Mom's doctor prescribed cigarettes to her as a mild tranquilizer. Both of my parents were smokers during the time I lived at home.

The population percentage of smokers has been dropping for years, more due to the increasing number of people who have never smoked, than those who have quit, I suspect. Also, my parent's generation is pretty much gone, and my generation has reached the age we keep an eye on the Obituary columns

Surgeon General Koop, I seem to recall, called nicotine the most addictive substance known to man. Research shows nicotine quickly binds to the same areas of the brain as alcohol, narcotics and other known addictive substances, and does it very rapidly. It meets all of the criteria for addiction, chemically and behaviorally. It is a serious health problem and extremely hard to treat.

I was a heavy smoker for 38 years, and then got lucky. Cigarettes started to taste bad instead of good. Once I noticed this, they started tasting worse and worse. So I quit. I was pretty p*ssy for a long time--a couple of years actually, until my doctor decided I was depressed and put me on an antidepressant. That did the trick with the generalized anger. I still have 10 of the 20 lbs I put on, and it's been almost 12 years. I read somewhere that the average weight gain for quitters is 15 lbs--permanently

So what I tell people now when they ask for quitting advice is to stop focusing on the feelings they get when smoking, and start paying attention to the taste of the smoke and the cigarette. That has worked for a number of friends and acquaintances who had reached the point they were serious about quitting. It also removes the obsessive ruminating over wanting to smoke, because they can smoke all they want--until they can't stand the taste anymore. This technique does not work nearly as well with menthol cigarette smokers since the menthol pretty much masks the tobacco taste.

Tobacco smoke is now an irritant to me, so I don't like being in enclosed spaces with it. For that reason, I'm pretty happy about the indoor smoking bans in public places.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
JohnD13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to JohnD13
Smoking

I quit 30 years ago. Haven't missed it in the last 2 or 3!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
ballistx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2nd hand smoke

For anyone to say that there is some difference between direct smoking (puffing on it yourself) and 2nd hand smoking (direct and indirect from someone else's puffing) is smoking something far more than cigarettes.

The smoke that is expelled directly from the tip of the cigarette and consumed in someones lungs is exactly the same as that drawn through an unfiltered cigarette.

The smoke exhaled from a person's lungs while exhaling contains the same chemicals as it did when it was inhaled. If you don't believe it, then you must not believe in smoker's breath either. If you didn't have that stench on your breath someone MIGHT believe that you were containing all of the chemicals and only exhaling smoke free air.

To say that 2nd hand smoking is not harmful to non-smokers goes against all honest research that has proven that 2nd hand smoking is just as toxic. Such as the 25% higher instances of lung cancer among spouses of smokers than spouses of non-smokers. Or the 38,000 non-smokers in 2002 whose deaths were attributed to smoking.

Personally, I have sinus attacks and headaches that are directly attibutable to being around 2nd hand smoke. And try to put an asmatic in a room full of smoke and see what the impact is.

And ANYONE and EVERYONE that smokes around anyone else besides a non-smoker is FORCING that other individual to smoke. If the people at the office here that smoke go outside and have a cigarette and come back in, I have to stay away from them for at least 30 minutes or I will get a headache just from the residual smoke on their breath.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
SHRADK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of my doctors told me nicotine, as a drug by itself, is a great drug. It's the the other chemicals involved in smoking that will kill you.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM
xarmcav
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I quit smoking several years ago, and I quit snuff recently. My stupid *** used tobacco for over half of my 40 year old life and now I pray I didn't do any permanent damage. I served in the military, I fought a war, I defended peoples rights. You have the right to smoke or whatever you want, and I have the right to not have to breath it. A little courtesy on both sides might go a long way.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
POWDER MONKEY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you smoke stand down wind from me.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I worked in a greenhouse in the mid 60s and to kill off the inevitable bug population that comes with greenery and flowers we would shut the vents and light blocks of tobacco to smolder in the glass houses. Viola~no bugs.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
McBendy_Elbow

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Send a message via ICQ to McBendy_Elbow Send a message via Yahoo to McBendy_Elbow
comment :

Smoking MAY BE a contributing factor in causing some diseases to bloom (?) ,,, BUT,,, that with a lot of other habits ,,, many not considered detremental to good health ... Whether to smoke OR not to smoke is a personal choice ? It's best to leave it that way ...