In a gun cabinet 95 14.18%
in a discreet location (hidden in drawer, closet or etc.) 122 18.21%
Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Myles
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Yes it is best to have a safe, bolted to a concrete floor or wall. My basement is too damp, and at least once, if not twice a year has water come in. How may guns you have dictates how many safes you need. I dedicated my attic to my "den" all my guns, ammo, reloading equipment and supplies, and all my books. My one, very close friend, expressed concerns over the load capabilitys, of the floor, he was concerned that the house might collapse!! I have the walls reinforced, steel door, and steel reenforced doorway-jamb. Alarmed door and window, in addition to motion detectors. At one time I had over 300 guns. The weight of the number of gun-safes I would have needed probably would have gone through the floor. I am not a wealthy man and the cost if insurance would have been over $5000. a year. That, plus I was constantly buying, selling, and swapping guns, would drive both me and the insurance co. out of our minds constantly updating my inventory. I just took my chances on fire.I have been "thinning the herd" and will probably only be keeping 30 to 40 guns to shoot, enjoy, and pass on to my grandson. At this time of my life, I'm glad I don't have to get rid of half a dozen or so gun safes down 3 flights of stairs!
Myles
Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 PM
lifeon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cant vote for all 3 so there you have it.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to keep them scattered around the house. Then I saw the Boston PD during the 'bombing' search and decided that wasn't too good. Gave up on the idea of storing them in my boat.

Always my S&W parked alongside the bed, and the others stored in a safe off site. Living in the deep country (911 call equals 1:15 minutes), so only I and my sons know where they are. Close enuf, but nowhere an intruder would look.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM
DaStray
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most in a safe although a few are hidden and within reach. If I need one in a hurry I don`t think I`d be able to tell the BG to wait.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My handguns are somewhat hiding in plain sight. A small steel safe bolted down in a closet that backs up a chimney. It's labeled as a chimney fire suppression system, with warnings of "high voltage inside, turn off system before opening". I found the unused labels in a traded-in car when I worked as a detailer years ago. My alarm system is also a phony, too. Signs for a high dollar system were around the house when I bought it, but no system. Typical subdivision, so I do have nosy elderly neighbors.

My lone rifle, 10/22 DSP, is hung inside a heavy coat in a closet.

Last edited by bearcatter; 05-01-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Kids? Then, safe. Even considering the possibility of theft it is the responsible thing to do. I will say that I had my wife's enthusiastic support on that purchase; the same cannot be said of every hobby - related purchase.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Old Sensei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bank

Many years ago, I bought a safe from a bank that was closing. It was first delivered by a tow truck. I only wish I had treasures worthy of the safe.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
John Wick version

I keep my few like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RfQZSE-PLM
Old 03-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Steve_O

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
False wall. Leads to protected cavity. Defensive firearms in a couple of areas. Small auto on opposite side of home as well. Fully insured, mine are replaceable by one form or another. Empty-nesters, wife doesn't care for firearms but knows what to do in worst case scenarios. Playbook a few minutes every now and then, may never need it. But in the slim chance she does, she is better prepared.
Eventually, even in rural areas, you will be seen carrying interesting items. You would be surprised of the stupidity and bravado of some. Experienced dirt bags do their homework, and so do I.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Years ago our house was broken into twice. Insurance adjuster said they come back the second time, about 6 wks later, to steal what you've replaced. I didn't have a safe at the time and said I'd get one. He said it helps but he knew of one gun collector that had safes bolted to the floor and walls and the thieves used chain saws and cut the safes out and hauled the whole units out.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Snoplop
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Safes & a walk-in safe that is in a discrete location.
I highly recommend walk-in safes.