Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
deadwood83
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to deadwood83 Send a message via MSN to deadwood83 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwood83

Markbo if you don't have a tablesaw, Ryobi has tablesaws with cheap add-ons that double for miter gauges and router tables all in one. We picked one up while cleaning out my uncle's house. Sadly he didn't have a jointer or a fancy planer like that. Nor did he have a bandsaw which is odd. Luckliy i'm welcome to my 6th grade math teacher's house. He's a nice guy who lets his former students use his tools.

Ohhhh and I forgot that you can rent tools from Home Depot. They probably have one!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to mscales5 Send a message via Yahoo to mscales5
Actually, table saws and planers are pretty cheap now. Harbor Frieght has 12" planers for about $100 and table saws are not much more. You can also buy used table saws for cheap and that is really the way to go. If you are will to do the work you can buy the tools for not much more then what a stock or 2 will cost you and when your done you still have the tools.

oli, the set up and jig making is the hardest part. I spend more time by far thinking about "how to" and "in what order" then actually doing it. Markbo was talking about you selling some of the jigs for inletting. Once you have a pattern made it is easy to make a few more to sell off to others wanting to make a stock. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
deadwood83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to deadwood83 Send a message via MSN to deadwood83 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwood83
I'm thinkin that the jig measurements and the carbine stock patterns would be the most helpful. People usually want to make something unique and the carbine pattern is the best starting point in my opinion because then they have a very very very basic design to work off of.

I know i'd pay $20 USD plus international shipping for a carbine stock pattern. Go to Kinko's or hang it on the wall and you've got what you need to make your pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
RVBASSMAN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Job

Looks easy but I know its very hard to do,

Look Very Nice.......
Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 AM
markdperkins
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

I'd be the 'loose nut' behind the trigger...
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli
I installed a pillar for glass bedding (thanks to Mknarr for his very good instructions in tips and tricks)
What kind of pillar, and where did you get yours? I used to have a local supplier of lamp ferrules but they no longer keep them in stock...just need half a dozen if anyone can suggest a supplier?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
oli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
What kind of pillar, and where did you get yours? I used to have a local supplier of lamp ferrules but they no longer keep them in stock...just need half a dozen if anyone can suggest a supplier?
Hello, I simply rounded a nut by grinding, and then glued it to a washer. I did not found any supplier for that kind of hardware. You could also use the female part of a T-nut, cheap and available everywhere.
Sorry, I dont have a better pic of my pillar.

I did not wanted to pay 25$ for the vq bedding kit... too expensive for a washer and a little piece of padding imho.

Oli
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mark, I got bags full of different stuff to try out from Lowe's and Ace Hardware. Home Depot has the worst selection for anything non nail or wood/ drywall screw related.

I have found by experimenting with different nut, washer, ferrules that the best (read easiest and effective) is the insert like in that pic above. A key is getting everything centered. More effective is a 1/16" piece of aluminum 1"x2" inset into the inletting with a hole drilled in the right place beforehand.

As you can tell by that pic the indent in the inletting is slightly off. With the estucheon firmly epoxied in place, the key is allow the screw to go from it to the receiver trunion without touching anything else, including the insert/pillar. Getting it lined up is trial and error but one trick I have used to keep the epoxy channel open is to inset a small length of soda straw. This creates a clean hole for the screw to travel through and it is easily removable after drying.

Sorry - I don't mean to tell you a bunch of stuff you already know, but I though others might be interested in all that other stuff.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:38 AM
KY Ratshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lamp furreles are available in the lighting dept of Lowes and HD, if you want brass. These fittings are simply brass tube with a 1/4" pipethread. That means a 1/4" threaded pipe is the same thing only iron. Start looking in the electrical and plumbing depts rather than the fasteners and fittings section. skip the racks and go straight for the cabinets with trays and compartments filled with goodies. They have a whole wall full of brass plumbing parts you can sort through.

I worked part time in an old fasioned hardware store a while back. You guys really should find some mom and pop operation for these needs. They usually have trays and trays in wall racks, just waiting for us Rube Goldburgs to come along.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Many Ace Hardwares have the ferrules. I sent Mark two 6" pieces. On most factory carbines you only need .6". I am doing three of them this week. One was .590" second was .600" and the third was .610" long. I make them so they bottom out on the factory escuctheon and are flush with inside of stock. Then, when it come time to Glass bed. the depth is already set for how deep the action sits in the stock, Dremel out wood around the pillar and fill with glass bedding. That is one way to do it.....there are many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
markdperkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again Vincent!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mark - we will want pics you know!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
markdperkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo
Mark - we will want pics you know!
I am still getting a new house put together on the property. Gun range down below, shop above...and then I can finish one of those many gun projects...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Well, we will need pictures of all that too!

Man I envy you guys who can walk outside your house and shoot. I would put up one of those big metal buildings and separate it out into different areas in a heartbeat. I would insulate the whole shebang (because it is HOT here!) and put walls up for different areas: machining in one part, woodwork in another (with a good air filter system), normal shop for putting it all together and work benches, reloading and ammo storage rooms and at the back... a shooting room with opening doors, sound deadening and air mover.

It's heck to have a plan and no place to implement it!
Do you have a basement in that new house or is it a first floor on a slope kind of thing? We can't have basements in southeast Texas. Too wet.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
markdperkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo
Do you have a basement in that new house or is it a first floor on a slope kind of thing? We can't have basements in southeast Texas. Too wet.
No basement. It's seven acres. The house, shop, pool, garden, yard and what not take up about 2.5 of it at the knoll. The lower portion is going to have a 100 yard range and berm, trap and skeet layout, maybe a five position, and we are looking to sink one acre or so into an action shooting pit. Maybe something for a team challenge, too.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
You magnificent bastird.

What a dream fullfilled!

You ever need any help, you need to do a barn raising kind of thing. I have already volunteered, but I am sure a whole wagon load of guys would be willing to come in for a week to get it done just for the benefit of being invited back for the annual RFC gatherings.