Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is about hunting

I'm 61 years old my father did not hunt. My uncles on my mother's side They Hunted but they also have lots of kids and lived in Maryland on farms. A lot of my friends fathers Hunted always for deer or goose or both. Now that the hunting lands fast food I'm just the whole Generations changing no one's hunting or very few. No one knows how to skin a rabbit or squirrel or even a deer take a duck pic a goose feathers that is I see the populations are over flourishing. On a trip Upstate New York one year I saw so many deer I had to stop the car I was amazed look like a scene Out of Africa. I live in Kentucky and I travel a lot I'm a blacksmith I shoe race horses. I have a few rifles and pistols and I really enjoyed shooting mostly target love the ground hog hunt but no time. now we feed our families from grocery stores we don't feed him from the farm lands of the fields there could be a way that we can spend our herds and feed the poor would be a great thing to do thank you

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Killer1989

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basrem View Post
I'm 61 years old my father did not hunt. My uncles on my mother's side They Hunted but they also have lots of kids and lived in Maryland on farms. A lot of my friends fathers Hunted always for deer or goose or both. Now that the hunting lands fast food I'm just the whole Generations changing no one's hunting or very few. No one knows how to skin a rabbit or squirrel or even a deer take a duck pic a goose feathers that is I see the populations are over flourishing. On a trip Upstate New York one year I saw so many deer I had to stop the car I was amazed look like a scene Out of Africa. I live in Kentucky and I travel a lot I'm a blacksmith I shoe race horses. I have a few rifles and pistols and I really enjoyed shooting mostly target love the ground hog hunt but no time. now we feed our families from grocery stores we don't feed him from the farm lands of the fields there could be a way that we can spend our herds and feed the poor would be a great thing to do thank you

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Yeah, these "modern times" are a trip. I'm only 30, but I prefer to not watch cable and spend my time fishing and hunting/shooting as much as possible. I guess I'm one of a dying breed that actually like to produce game from the natural environment and keep up on survival skills. I'm just doing for fun as I have done since I was a kid, lol.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My family didn’t hunt either.Too much up close experience with the war in europe.Met a pair of twins in high school/college that loved to shoot,hunt and fly fish.I was hooked.Lost touch with them years ago,but those three interests stayed with me for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my first deer at age 9 and dad had me hold the legs still while he skinned it in hanging in the garage. We cleaned and packaged for freezing everything ourselves all our lives.
I wanted some sausage made years ago and took my ready to be ground meat to a local place. They had deer lying about that folks wanted cut up and packaged. One of the skinned deer looked furry from all the hair on it. I asked what they did to get the hair off and he said; "Nothing, we process the deer like we get em and tell the customers the so." When I incredulously stated/asked so they get their deer cut up and packaged with the hair all over it then?? He laughed and said; "Yup!"
Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM
lasttombstone
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've seen a few like that Al. You can take the deer to them as it comes out of the field, untouched and you will get clean meat. Or you can do it yourself and you will get what you take in. I always clean my own and cut it up for them to grind or run through the tenderizer. If you make a mess and take them a mess some won't even take it.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:02 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sausage is the one thing that may not have all of your meat in it. When sausage is being made most butchers will dump everybody's meat for grind into a large tube. Those I have talked to say it is to much work and time consuming to do one persons deer at a time. They do say that all of the steaks and roasts will be from your deer. Makes sense to me when you see how many deer they have to process.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4-wheel drive and a country boy can survive.

Hank Williams Jr.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Sausage is the one thing that may not have all of your meat in it. When sausage is being made most butchers will dump everybody's meat for grind into a large tube. Those I have talked to say it is to much work and time consuming to do one persons deer at a time. They do say that all of the steaks and roasts will be from your deer. Makes sense to me when you see how many deer they have to process.
The place I mentioned used only my meat for the grind at whatever ratio I wanted. They bagged and wrote the names on em so others wouldn't get hairy burgers and wotnot. Cost more than other places but I got what I paid for.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 AM
Leropard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m not gonna lie, I agree with you! Seriously, the number of times I drove from different states is crazy. On these drives, I noticed a big population of deer on the farmlands. Those guys are living the life. I decided that I wouldn't mind going on a hunt for a couple of days and nights. I also found this interesting deer attractant https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-deer-attractant/ that should help with cathing the deer's attention while on a hunt. I personally never used it before but a lot of my close friends are constantly going on about it. You guys ever tried it? Is it worth?
Old 09-30-2019, 05:38 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My dad introduced me to hunting in the squirrel woods and rabbit fields. There were no deer in Central Indiana where I grew up until I was in my early 20's. I took my younger two brothers hunting, and now 50 years later one of those still hunts with me. The other is too busy with other priorities.

I'm a retired wildlife biologist, director, and deputy commissioner. I worked in IN, KS, MO, and signed off in 2007, here in KY. Except for market killing (not hunting) before sportsmen demanded protective regulation more than 125 years ago, hunting has not been the reason for the decline in any wildlife species. Habitat destruction or succession (fields growing into woods put rabbits out of business) is the reason some wildlife declined and are declining.

On a landscape scale, the lack of hunters isn't the reason for abundant deer, squirrel, turkey, and other wildlife populations. Predators don't control prey populations, it is the other way around.

Hunter numbers aren't down everywhere, they are up in my state. These are the good ole days for many game populations. We've returned turkey, pronghorn, whitetail deer, elk, giant Canada geese and wood duck from the brink of extinction.

Today, thanks to the National Archery in the Schools Program (launched in 2002) archer numbers are up from 7 million in 2001 to 23 million+ today. Of these 17.46% bow hunt because of NASP®, 34% more want to bow hunt. Also, nearly 20% hunt with firearms and twice that many want too. The reason, we've taught them a shooting skill and they want to use those skills just like those of us who were taught by dad or grandpa decades ago.

I am very optimistic about the future of hunting and wildlife conservation.

You can learn more about the non-profit NASP®, that has seen almost 20 million kids through its program (1.4 million per school year): www.naspschools.org. Unless you live in VT, RI, or DE, NASP® is in your state's schools.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
hunting has not been the reason for the decline in any wildlife species.
Except the passenger pigeon and bison to name a few?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:43 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nope, bison was market hunted and government attack on native Americans. Passenger pigeon was market hunted. No regulated hunting has endangered any wildlife,
Old 09-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
Nope, bison was market hunted and government attack on native Americans. Passenger pigeon was market hunted. No regulated hunting has endangered any wildlife,
You didn't include stipulations for market hunting in your original post.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Al,
You are correct, I didn't explain the difference between unregulated market hunting and regulated hunting. Thanks for alerting me to that.

A simple example. Studies show that in my state hunters can only eat about 1.5 deer per year. So, that's all they kill, on average (yep, that 1/2 is messy). So, we won't kill a deer we don't need, even if the bag limit allows it. If selling game animals was legal folks would kill for the money and that creates undue pressure on the resource.

One of the reasons our system of wildlife management works so well is because many of our regulations are due to demands by sportsmen and women to conserve (wise use) game animals and keep them a public resource.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:59 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The F&WS records about an 11% reduction in hunting licenses over the past 10 years or so. Most unfortunate. Hunter/fisher families need to take away the Xboxes & iPads and get their kids out to the rivers, lakes, ranges and fields.

I have one son that does not hunt, but he loves to salt water fish. My #2 son does hunt, but not to the extent I do. His job keeps him more than busy. That is unfortunate, but such is life. He makes me envious when he takes clients quail hunting on the plantations around Albany, Ga. His son plays football on his high school team which seems to keep him busy 12 months a year. He and my son hunt deer & doves a couple times in the winter. They may join me for a dove hunt once or twice.

My daughter is the hunter/fisher. She started out fishing with me when she was about 3 years old. I think that was the year she found out fishing rods don't float. She likes to shoot and has shot with me at targets over the years. A good pistol shot. She would take over my Henry H001 everytime I had it with me. I bought her one for Christmas several years ago so we can both shoot our lever guns at the same time. Then she got her carry permit. Then she wanted to start dove hunting with her brother and me. I loaned her my Ithaca Mdl 37 20 ga. I guess it is her shotgun now. Opening day of dove season this year she got 9. She is a vet tech with an equine practice. Her boss deer hunts on his family's land and invited her to join them a few years ago. I bought her a Rem .243 and she has killed 3 deer over the past 4 years. One shot - one deer. And she doesn't go anywhere without her S&W .380 Bodyguard.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 09-30-2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: edit