Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 PM
DES/TSD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The End of an Era has occured

This morning I was informed that Jack Warne passed away on May 21, 2019. As the founder and funder of Kimber of Oregon/Kimber Industries he has left a legacy we all enjoy. His obituary was posted today in the Oregonian. It was sent to me by another Kimber fancier.

For all of those who attended the Gala on May 27.....I WAS WRONG! Jack was not alive at the time I said he was. Sorry.

Services are listed in the obituary if any of you care to attend. June 1, 2019.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:38 PM
jearl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear about the loss. Prays sent out for the family and friends.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:42 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
https://mobileobits.oregonlive.com/o...&preview=false

Old 05-29-2019, 07:51 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bet they'll begin going downmarket. In a decade from now they'll be competing with Savage.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Wow just wow what an incredibly idiotic thing to say. Go slide back under the rock. The man was very accomplished.
He was an immigrant who came here legally and made good VERY good.

His son Greg actually built the rifles... Dad designed them.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/or...pid=193001460&
Yeah, I agree. Wow. The man just died already !

On top of that, Kimber was sold years ago, but still builds fine rifles & handguns at the NY company which keeps the same name.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
I bet they'll begin going downmarket. In a decade from now they'll be competing with Savage.
Yeah, I'm sure they were just waiting for him to pass away so they could undercut Savage Arms.

≡✪≡
Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post

Wow just wow what an incredibly idiotic thing to say. Go slide back under the rock. The man was very accomplished.
He was an immigrant who came here legally and made good VERY good.

His son Greg actually built the rifles... Dad designed them.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/or...pid=193001460&
My apologies. You are correct. I was under a rock. I was under the impression that he still had say in the company. I've just seen it happen so many times, when the founders with the vision are gone, the company often takes a turn for the worse. My last employer was recently driven to the brink after being acquired five years ago. I wasn't attempting to belittle his accomplishments, far from it. I just see domestic manufacturing going downmarket in general, in the ongoing effort to compete.

I suppose I was mainly just agreeing with the tittle-it IS the end of an era-and I hope the modern company can continue to survive as they are, and not by going downmarket. But we will see.

Last edited by NWFRS; 05-29-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry to here that of anyone who was a gun manufacture. Kimber is certainly a quality one. RIP
Old 05-29-2019, 11:08 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Jack Warne Obituary

Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Obviously I didn't know Mr. Warne, but he came from a time when hard work and ingenuity could propel you forward in the business world while at the same time having limited education. I equate him with someone like Bill Ruger who had a dream and ran with it developing a company with a solid reputation for quality products at a fair price. It certainly seems to me that Mr. Warne and industrious people like him are far and few in between and as we are in a different time frame now there are fewer still. The firearms business is strange at best with all the buyouts and changes of ownership and obviously quality control seems to sometimes take a back seat to production numbers. I would like to think that this didn't happen while Mr. Warne ran his company and I certainly know Kimber rifles and Warne rings are some of the best items out there. In fact I only use Warne Rings exclusively whenever possible. Alas, another loss from the Greatest Generation. While Jack Warne may not have been a John Browning, he certainly had his own style and character which had a positive impact on the firearms industry and community.

Rick H.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM
eddiel4

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Jack Warne's passing...

I only spoke to Jack once or twice but he leaves a strong legacy as both an Engineer and business man. My friend Earl Kelley taught me great respect for his quiet abilities and the direction that he gave to his son Greg. I understand that for the most part, when he presented ideas, they were adopted. Rest in peace Jack...

Ed Lundberg
Old 06-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So sorry to hear this . I never met or talked to Jack , but I did get to talk with Greg at length when he was starting up production of the Model 82-C rifles ; seemed like a nice man .
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13 AM
Tgilmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Legacy

I have often said you can tell a lot about a person by what they leave behind. I did not know mr Warne. But to come from a small town with a limited education to owning several successful companies. And being a dominant entity in several industries. He must have been quite a guy. Non the less without him we would not have the wonderfull guns that makes this forum possible. Guns built with quality parts and warm pleasing wood designs. A combination of traits we will be lucky to ever see again. As the trend seems to be black and plastic. Well done sir.