Anybody make a Quality 17wsm Bolt rifle? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 AM
RMS65
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody make a Quality 17wsm Bolt rifle?

I'm looking for a new toy. I'm considering a 17wsm or a 17 Hornet. I'm looking for a quality Bolt Action rifle. The best of my understanding is that only Ruger and Savage make a bolt action 17 WSM. I don't have the time to type the horrible experiences I've personally had with 3 different Savage 17hmr B17 rifles or 3 different Ruger American rifles in 223. All I will say is I will never buy another from either company. In fairness, both companies custom service were excellent but trying to get a decent product was exhausting.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Custom gun maker$.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS65 View Post
I'm looking for a new toy. I'm considering a 17wsm or a 17 Hornet. I'm looking for a quality Bolt Action rifle. The best of my understanding is that only Ruger and Savage make a bolt action 17 WSM. I don't have the time to type the horrible experiences I've personally had with 3 different Savage 17hmr B17 rifles or 3 different Ruger American rifles in 223. All I will say is I will never buy another from either company. In fairness, both companies custom service were excellent but trying to get a decent product was exhausting.
If Savage and Ruger are both no bueno for you, that pretty much eliminates any plans you may have for a 17 WSM bolt action.

Since you mentioned the 17 Hornet as being an alternative, unless you are limited to a rimfire only area, there is really no comparison between the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet. I have both, in fact I have two 17 Hornets, and can tell you first hand, the 17 Hornet is on a completely different level. For mass volume shooting, my 17 WSM is great, but beyond that, the 17 Hornet is in a completely different league.

For a very nice quality 17 Hornet rifle that is reasonably priced, the CZ 527 Varmint model in 17 Hornet is a great little gun. I have two of them and they make me smile every time I take them out.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B-23: 17 Hornet?

RMS 65, I do not wish to Hijack your thread, and you are not on line at this time, but...I have to ask as B23 left the screen door open.
I have the 22 Hornet & love it. Thought a .17 would be nice; so what is "really no comparison between the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet" and the "17 Hornet is in a completely different league." that you speak of? Randy
Old 05-28-2019, 04:02 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean1151 View Post
RMS 65, I do not wish to Hijack your thread, and you are not on line at this time, but...I have to ask as B23 left the screen door open.
I have the 22 Hornet & love it. Thought a .17 would be nice; so what is "really no comparison between the 17 WSM and 17 Hornet" and the "17 Hornet is in a completely different league." that you speak of? Randy
The obvious for starters.

The 17 Hornet shoots the same 20gr bullet 600+fps faster than does the 17 WSM which is pretty significant and in my book, puts it into a completely different league.

Also, you can't compare the mass produced, ok-ish, 17WSM rimfire ammo to reloadable centerfire ammo, again, it puts the 17 Hornet in a whole different league. Even comparing factory made 17 Hornet ammo to 17 WSM ammo, the 17 Hornet is just a lot better.

Even though they shoot the same bullets, it's really not a fair comparison.

That certainly doesn't mean I dislike the 17 WSM because that couldn't be further from the truth. My Savage HBSS Bmag is, easily, the lowest quality gun I've probably ever owned, but the thing shoots pretty darn good and for inexpensive high volume shooting where MOA is good enough, I absolutely love it.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love an explaination

B23; thank you for the explaination, helps a seasoned citizen understand what you were going for. Wonderful help.

And, thanks too for allowing the interlude RMS 65. I think it now comes down to do you "want ", "like" to reload or do you not. If anything like the 22 hornet, you can load up or down with bullets & velocities to achieve what you desire with the 17 Hornet.

Thanks again guys, Randy
Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 PM
SlyOneMrGrinch
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know that you have no love for Ruger, but the 77/17 is a bit better quality than the American (not saying it's more accurate). I have a Ruger 77/17 in both WSM and Hornet - a little work and both are great shooters, but too heavy. I'm hoping for a VQ Summit in WSM to address the weight issue, send them an email and hopefully we can bug them into making it.

Last edited by SlyOneMrGrinch; 06-04-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 PM
RMS65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyOneMrGrinch View Post
I know that you have no love for Ruger, but the 77/17 is a bit better quality than the American (not saying it's more accurate). I have a Ruger 77/17 in both WSM and Hornet - a little work and both are great shooters, but too heavy. I'm hoping for a VQ Summit in WSM to address the weight issue, send them an email and hopefully we can bug them into making it.
A VQ is likely out of my budget. Now if we could get CZ or Tikka to make one, that'd be great. Hell I might even gamble on a Remlin.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Based on the input you received thus far . . . I'd suggest the CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet as well. Second choice would be the CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet . . . You will not be disappointed.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 PM
SlyOneMrGrinch
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
Based on the input you received thus far . . . I'd suggest the CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet as well. Second choice would be the CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet . . . You will not be disappointed.
Got one of them also, other than feeding problems and lack of stainless steel, I agree.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyOneMrGrinch View Post
Got one of them also, other than feeding problems and lack of stainless steel, I agree.
If your CZ 527 17 Hornet doesn't feed all that well for you give this little trick a try.

Use the bolt handle like you normally would to pull the bolt back but once you get it all the way back let go of the bolt handle and push the bolt forward with only your thumb pushing it forward at the back of the bolt.

One of my CZ 527 17 Hornets is a finicky feeding little bugger and if I try and cycle a new round up in the chamber by using the bolt handle like I normally would it is nearly 100% failure and just flat will not feed, BUT, if I push the bolt straight forward with my thumb at the back of the bolt like I described above, it will feed butter smooth.

Give it a try and see if it helps cure your feeding issue.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
RMS65 sir when the 17 super mag first came out I was very excited until I handled the rifle (B Mag) and just walked away and I too have been waiting for a nice rifle to buy my first one.

I have both a 17 Hornet and 22 Hornet in CZ 527 rifles...the 22H was a dream come true for me...no recoil, biggie was very low noise and the accuracy was really nice. I wanted one in a FS just like my other CZ FS rifles but could not find one...so I made my own:

I was having a hard time trying to decide if I wanted a 22 Hornet or a 17 Hornet at first and it was the same thing with having 22mag rifles for years and wondering how the 17hmr was...I did not see any need for a 17hmr rifle and only bought 22mags. Today I have all of them.

My 17 Hornet is still a work in process where my 22 Hornet rocks...I was very lucky to have bandit1250 here at RFC sell me his CZ 527 FS in 22 Hornet which makes my second 22 Hornet rifle...but as of today I have not had the time to shoot it...too many family matters.

If you decide to get either one of the fine calibers I think you will be very happy with the results. One of my concerns was how loud they were...and both of them shot side by side I can't tell the difference.

As far as feeding rounds into the chamber my 22H was a little rough until after the first 50 rounds or so and then smoothed out and feeds like butter...the 17 H has not been shot as much but...the last time I took it out I still needed to push the back of the center of the bolt with thumb for it to load. I will smooth out over time.
My 527s front to back: 17 Hornet, home made FS in 22 Hornet, 222 FS, 222 American, 223 Royal and 222 Varmint.

I just got Bandit1250's FS so no family picture as of yet. here is a quick shot of my two last CZ FS rifles: 222 in back and the 22 Hornet in front

anyway good luck on your quest for a nice 17 super mag rifle and if you find one let me know...I like the cartridge and it's possibilities.

Signalman
Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 17 wsm bmag is not a pretty gun, bolt is loose and sloppy, is relative inexpensive compared to my pretty , well made, and expensive VQ and FA 17 wsm. The bmag though, when it comes to killing squirrels, it holds it's own compared to my other two 17 wsm. When it comes 17 hornet, my Savage 25 does swell job also. The 17 hornet fits nicely between my 17 wsm's and 204ruger's.
I have three 17wsm, one 17 hornet and four 204 Ruger's. Probably will add another 17 hornet to the arsenal soon.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
I'm looking for a new toy. I'm considering a 17wsm or a 17 Hornet. I'm looking for a quality Bolt Action rifle.
I have been wrestling the same question for a year and keep waiting for CZ to come out with a 17 WSM. I am about to shift my focus to a CZ in 17 hornet. If I wasn't using my friend's Savage HB 17 WSM, I probably would've gotten one of the Savage "Target" models. Honestly, with the hours I've been working, I haven't gotten hardly any time to shoot.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Tuck2
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give The Ruger 17/ 17 17WSM A Tune UP

Glass bed the action with two inches of the barrel, Install a after market target sear and spring , its pull is now about 3 Lbs., and to improve headspace install a washer between the two piece bolt . A little tune up made my rifle a sub one inch shooter at 100 yards.

Last edited by Tuck2; 06-19-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Correct detail