Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Marvelous_Marlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI quiet vs suppressor

Hello all,

I went to my municipal building the other day and asked them about shooting on my property. They told me it's unregulated and to have fun and be safe. Well, I've decided to only shoot my 22s because I do have neighbors. I've been shooting the CCI quiets exclusively, but I have a bunch of standard velocity I'd like to use as well. Now according to CCI the quiets are rated at 68db at the shooters ears. The silencerco switchback, for example, is rated at 108db. Would a suppressor really be louder than the 22 quiets? I understand there is a 300+ fps difference in the ammo, but I'm simply comparing based on the published db ratings. So would it be worth it for me to buy a suppressor?

Also, I've seen in articles/reviews that suppressors all have different tones. Can any recommend me ones that have the lowest tone? Like a thump instead of a snap. Thanks in advanced!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 PM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didnít catch what firearm you will be shooting.

The rifle will add velocity and standard velocity will accelerate to supersonic noise levels.

If youíre shooting a pistol, it doesnít matter, as long as itís standard ammunition. Hotter ammunition will be supersonic.

I have a Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor. But I also suppress a Ruger 10/22.
The Ruger 10/22 used to look like this. I have replaced everything except the bolt and receiver. The receiver has been hand polished, though, by me. I use a Tactical Solutions Threaded Fluted barrel, Kidd Internals, including a single stage drop in trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Marvelous_Marlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only been shooting rifles, but intend to shoot my hand guns too.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 PM
CDR_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well with rifles, if you go with solely subsonic ammunition, you should use a bolt action rifle.

If youíre experienced in working on your guns, itís just a matter experimenting with different internals.

I acquired my different suppressors from a local maker. Iíve been very happy with mine. Most happy with my Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM
iron369

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better yet... Run cci quiet through a suppressed bolt action. Your neighbors wonít know your even there. My favorite quiet rig is a savage fv-sr with a pilot2 can.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:48 PM
ronnieh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron369 View Post
Better yet... Run cci quiet through a suppressed bolt action. Your neighbors wonít know your even there.
I agree. Mine is a suppressed Ruger bolt action. Only noise is the impact. My favorite Quiet shooter is a suppressed 10/22 with a Firefly bolt.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM
ronnieh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous_Marlin View Post
Hello all,

I went to my municipal building the other day and asked them about shooting on my property. They told me it's unregulated and to have fun and be safe. Well, I've decided to only shoot my 22s because I do have neighbors. I've been shooting the CCI quiets exclusively, but I have a bunch of standard velocity I'd like to use as well. Now according to CCI the quiets are rated at 68db at the shooters ears. The silencerco switchback, for example, is rated at 108db. Would a suppressor really be louder than the 22 quiets? I understand there is a 300+ fps difference in the ammo, but I'm simply comparing based on the published db ratings. So would it be worth it for me to buy a suppressor?

Also, I've seen in articles/reviews that suppressors all have different tones. Can any recommend me ones that have the lowest tone? Like a thump instead of a snap. Thanks in advanced!
Just went out and tried an unsuppressed Quiet round. From my 16" bolt action the Quiet is much louder than a suppressed CCI SV. Same results with a YHM Stinger or Ruger SR22. The Quiet is obviously a gunshot while the suppressed SV sounds more like an air tool.

Last edited by ronnieh; 05-21-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-21-2019, 04:14 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Hello all,

I don't know where 68dB comes from unless it's someone using a cell phone app. CCI Quiets meter 134dB unsuppressed, 109 @ the 1m position, and about 103 at the ear. Those latter numbers with a 18.5" rifle and a SWR Spectre II suppressor.
Typical 1m numbers from a rifle with CCI SV runs in the mid teens depending on the can.
From a pistol, expect high teens to low 20's at 1m.

You'll need to shoot SV or subsonic ammo from a rifle to avoid sonic crack.
For pistol, if the barrel is 4.5" or less, bulk pack HV ammo will not crack.

Tone is somewhat subjective, but is much more apparent in centerfire cans than rimfire. My advice to prospective rimfire can purchasers is to listen in person to as many different cans as you can. Youtube videos are not a good method of judging as the mics in video recorders and cell phones is not the best for reproducing this.
Buy a SS can that comes apart for cleaning. Most do nowadays, but there are still aluminum suppressors and the first time buyer is drawn to their lower price. A rimfire suppressor will outlast your grandkids if taken care of. Buy the best you can afford. The purchase price will soon be forgotten if you choose wisely.

You can see the numbers of everything tested over the last 9 years here. www.nfatalk.org

Last edited by no4mk1t; 05-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Marvelous_Marlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieh View Post
Just went out and tried an unsuppressed Quiet round. From my 16" bolt action the Quiet is much louder than a suppressed CCI SV. Same results with a YHM Stinger or Ruger SR22. The Quiet is obviously a gunshot while the suppressed SV sounds more like an air tool.
Thank you! This is the answer I was hoping for. I appreciate you taking the time to test them out.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Marvelous_Marlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
I don't know where 68dB comes from unless it's someone using a cell phone app. CCI Quiets meter 134dB unsuppressed, 109 @ the 1m position, and about 103 at the ear. Those latter numbers with a 18.5" rifle and a SWR Spectre II suppressor.
Typical 1m numbers from a rifle with CCI SV runs in the mid teens depending on the can.
From a pistol, expect high teens to low 20's at 1m.

You'll need to shoot SV or subsonic ammo from a rifle to avoid sonic crack.
For pistol, if the barrel is 4.5" or less, bulk pack HV ammo will not crack.

Tone is somewhat subjective, but is much more apparent in centerfire cans than rimfire. My advice to prospective rimfire can purchasers is to listen in person to as many different cans as you can. Youtube videos are not a good method of judging as the mics in video recorders and cell phones is not the best for reproducing this.
Buy a SS can that comes apart for cleaning. Most do nowadays, but there are still aluminum suppressors and the first time buyer is drawn to their lower price. A rimfire suppressor will outlast your grandkids if taken care of. Buy the best you can afford. The purchase price will soon be forgotten if you choose wisely.

You can see the numbers of everything tested over the last 9 years here. www.nfatalk.org
The "68db at the shooters ear" comes from CCIs website. Not sure how they got that. I totally understand what you mean about having to hear them in person, just not sure how I go about doing that. As far as choosing a suppressor, I'm leaning towards the Dead Air Mask. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The "68db at the shooters ear" comes from CCIs website. Not sure how they got that. I totally understand what you mean about having to hear them in person, just not sure how I go about doing that. As far as choosing a suppressor, I'm leaning towards the Dead Air Mask. Thanks for your help.
What state do you live in? You might be close to one of our test venues.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:22 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
...The rifle will add velocity and standard velocity will accelerate to supersonic noise levels.

If you’re shooting a pistol, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s standard ammunition. Hotter ammunition will be supersonic....
Huh? Nearly all .22 ammo is rated in rifles, with the exception of a very few match pistol brands. Standard velocity will never accelerate to supersonic whether shot from a rifle or a pistol.

Supersonic ammo ("high velocity") will be subsonic in a short enough barrel. How short depends on the ammo but 5" makes most HV subsonic.

I shoot standard velocity ammo suppressed with rifles and pistols . The neighbors can hear that I'm shooting but it's pretty mild. About the same as an air rifle. I can't put numbers on it, but Quiets are about the same un-suppressed as long as you put them in a rifle. They're louder in a pistol.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I went back and looked where we dry fire tested striker fall on a CZ452 and a Ruger 77/22. Both guns meter about 110dB at the ear.
This is with a B&K 2209 sound meter and 4136 1/4" pressure mic.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 PM
CDR_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Huh? Nearly all .22 ammo is rated in rifles, with the exception of a very few match pistol brands. Standard velocity will never accelerate to supersonic whether shot from a rifle or a pistol.

Supersonic ammo ("high velocity") will be subsonic in a short enough barrel. How short depends on the ammo but 5" makes most HV subsonic.

I shoot standard velocity ammo suppressed with rifles and pistols . The neighbors can hear that I'm shooting but it's pretty mild. About the same as an air rifle. I can't put numbers on it, but Quiets are about the same un-suppressed as long as you put them in a rifle. They're louder in a pistol.

Just talking about standard ammunition. Not supersonic.

But from a rifle itís noticeably louder compared to my pistol.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Marvelous_Marlin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania. About an hour north of Philadelphia.