Savage Bmag bolt problem - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 AM
Buckeye3405

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Bmag bolt problem

I bought a Savage Bmag heavy barrel fluted model from cabelas in January. I was shooting a rimfire match yesterday and after shooting a round I lifted the bolt handle and ejected the spend casing. When I pulled the bolt rearward the handle would not stay up. It had no tension on it and so I removed it. Now I can’t get it back on the gun. Any idea what the deal is?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Gomizzou
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had same problem. Called Savage, they said I could send just the bolt in, something inside broke. Turnaround was about 2 weeks.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Buckeye3405

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks! I sent an email to savage I was hoping I could just send the bolt in for repair. Have you had any issues since the fix?

Old 04-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Floppy bolt syndrome- a popular p.i.a. but should still function.
Mine did it but after cleaning and tightening a lil set screw it went away. YMMV
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM
Gomizzou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye3405 View Post
Thanks! I sent an email to savage I was hoping I could just send the bolt in for repair. Have you had any issues since the fix?
No problems since. I've only shot about 2 boxes since the fix. If they don't reply to email, I'd give them a call.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM
Buckeye3405

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone have any info on finding out date of manufacture on the Bmag? I purchased it through Cabelas online back on Dec. 29, 2018. I had gift cards so it was basically a free gun. I noticed my serial number stars with J733XXXX and another guy who was at the shoot starts with KXXXXXX and his is 2 years old. Mine came with the upgraded bolt and is a Cabelas exclusive model, heavy fluted barrel.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Does anyone have any info on finding out date of manufacture on the Bmag? I purchased it through Cabelas online back on Dec. 29, 2018. I had gift cards so it was basically a free gun. I noticed my serial number stars with J733XXXX and another guy who was at the shoot starts with KXXXXXX and his is 2 years old. Mine came with the upgraded bolt and is a Cabelas exclusive model, heavy fluted barrel.
Maybe this works? https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/139-sa...ate-codes.html
Old 04-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Buckeye3405

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Called Savage on the phone they said it's the set screw. Mine had the tip broken off. They are sending me 3-4 replacement screws. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Called Savage on the phone they said it's the set screw. Mine had the tip broken off. They are sending me 3-4 replacement screws. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
Interesting they are sending more than 2.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:34 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had to replace the extractor in my Bmag a few years ago, Savage Tech gave me the option to send it back, they'd pay shipping both ways, and have them fix it or they'd send me the parts to fix it myself. Replacing the extractor is a very simple task and I didn't want to wait weeks or months before I got it back so I opted to have them send me the part. In just a couple days I had two new extractors, a new spring, and plunger waiting for me in my mail box.

Another time I had some magazine issues with my 93/17 HMR and they sent me two replacements for mine plus a couple extras.

It's been awhile since I've needed to contact Savage Tech for anything but they've always been really good about things. I don't know if the same two people answer the Tech calls but in the past when I called there was a guy and a nice lady that took those calls. The lady is very nice but all she wants to do is have you send your gun back. If you're ok waiting however long it takes to get it back, this may be a suitable option for some, and they have no problem paying the shipping both ways, but if you ask to talk to the guy, he'll help get you the parts so you can fix it yourself.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That same silly set screw on my Bmag can cause all sorts of issues. On mine, the tip sheared off. Preventing the bolt to fully go into battery. That tip was gumming up the internals of the bolt.

While I had the bolt apart, the bolt throw was replaced with a Glades Armory unit.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I plan on taking my BMAG to my gun doc soon. I have been plagued by countless misfires and think something is whacko. I thought for a long time it was an ammo problem but now I think it's the bolt.

I would send it back to Savage without worry but wonder how long the turn around would be. At least it isn't hunting season for several months.